Nissan Murano Forum banner

Another new Canadian member!

6K views 30 replies 9 participants last post by  John_b 
#1 ·
I bought a new 2014 Pearl White SL yesterday and will take delivery before Sept 17. I currently own a 2012 RAV4 Sport V6 4WD but wanted something more upscale at a reasonable price. With a $7,000 discount for cash purchases until Sept 2 this was a no brainer! I've owned many cars in the past 40 years or so including a 1999 Lexus RX300 and this is the first time I will have one with leather; I can't believe all the goodies I will get for only $34,000 vs $47,000 I paid 15 years ago for the RX300...Glad to be back in a premium vehicle again.

#4 ·
Thanks guys!

#5 ·
My new vehicle arrived yesterday at the dealer directly from Nissan Canada warehouse! All wrapped in plastic with only 9 kms on the odometer; I thought they would get it from another dealer but this is even better. I was happily surprised to see a stainless steel rear bumper protector as this is standard only on the Platinum but available as an accessory for other models. Either it's a mistake from the factory, a mid-year revision or it's a Platinum with an SL badge??? Or perhaps due to 2015 model change, Nissan decided to get rid of the bumper protector inventory and put them on the last few vehicles built.

I have a potential buyer for my existing vehicle who will try it on the road today and that will give me an idea as to when I will take delivery of my new Nissan. I've read the owner's manual last night and my head is still spinning...

#6 ·
Congrats. Sometimes you get an unexpected gift. I've seen many Platinum versions advertised with a cargo cover shown in the trunk. But mine arrived from Jersey without one. Look at it as an $80 freebie:D Good luck and enjoy your new ride.

#7 ·
Luckily, all models come with the cargo cover in Canada; different packaging north of the border. BTW Blinky19 I like the color of your 2014 LE Platinum!!!

The ss bumper protector here is $195 plus installation. Nice gift indeed!

#8 ·
Wow that's great. The cover is over $200. My next trip is going to be to Niagra Falls. Maybe I should have bought a Canadian model:D

#9 ·
Picked up my new ride yesterday and here are my first impressions:

First the good news:
Didn't know the upper windshield was tinted, nice!
Pairing my cell and voice command was a breeze.
Wheel locks were supplied & installed for free.
Forgot I had the seat moving back for easier ingress & egress.
I ordered beige rubber mats for winter and I'll return the black ones; didn't know about beige will look much better.
Glove box is deeper than when I saw it originally. Front & rear console storage compartments are big, it more than compensates for the smaller door compartments.
Sound deadening material in rear wheel wells.
Backup camera is fantastic, large and clear screen with guidance lines.
A/C vents in B pillars, better location than traditional rear of console.
Better interior fit & finish than my RAV4 but I knew that!

Now the not so bad news:
Two bird droppings on the sunroof before delivery; dealer cleaned it after I mentioned it and we all laughed as it's supposed to bring luck.
Lower a/c condenser part in bumper subject to stone damage; I saw a thread about this and will look into this. I had that on other vehicles and I installed an aluminium mesh for gutters; not sure if I'll do the same on this beauty.
Tires were overinflated 40 PSI+ and I noticed immediately the harsher ride; I lowered them to the recommended 33 PSI. Same thing happened on my previous vehicle.
No place to store my old 12V tire compressor (too large) so I'll get a new compact version.
Still having problems with front visibility & overall width as it feels like a much bigger vehicle but I'm sure I'll get used to it. I don't want to damage it!
Low wattage fog lights but with HID's I probably won't need them!
Power lift gate not height adjustable but that's not a big deal for me.
I installed the Nissan hood stone & bug deflector but the hood is hard to close; instructions said it may need some adjustments. Perhaps the rubber seal will flatten a bit with time.

That's about it for now but I'll be back with more impressions as I'm picky...

#10 ·
More good news:
The hatch is not made of steel. More like a polymer/polycarbonate plastic type like GM older Saturn cars and Chevy/Pontiac minivans. No rust to come!
Wiper blades seem to have a standard hook so a good variety of replacements should be available when the time comes.
Nice to be able to configure a few settings on the remote, the power seat, etc. without a trip to the dealer. I understand more is available with Nav but I don't have that option.

More not so bad news:
The tools for the jack were rattling so I just added some thin black carpet leftovers underneath. Also added some felt under the rear cargo panel. Perfect!
The headlight assembly has a few unused bulb locations probably for LED DRL's?
The power steering is hydraulic not electric like recent vehicles but that's no big deal.
I wish the seatbelts and carpets were darker (brown) instead of beige so they would not show dirt as easily. I had the same issue on my RX300.

I'll be back...

#11 ·
More good news:
I only had my car for 3 days but this forum has been very, very useful to me, thanks to everyone!

Based on hours of searching and reading both this forum and the owner's manual, I was able to do a few things on my own (auto door lock disable, selective unlocking disable, auto seat entry/exit disable, door lock beep disable, hide copy of key outside and hide intelligent key w/o battery inside, etc.), learned quite a few tricks.

I love the old fashioned straight gear selector vs the gated ones of so many late model vehicles!

The carpeted sides of the cargo area give it an upscale look and protect your stuff plus it does not get scratched like plastic. I also like the small compartments next to the cargo organizer. No need to empty the trunk and remove the cargo organizer.

More not so bad news:
I wish I could momentarily disable the power liftgate 100% to prevent accidently hitting my bike and bike rack. I may install a switch near the motor assembly.

The cargo cover near the seatbacks does not stay in place when raised; it makes it harder to retrieve stuff. I'll just use a bungee cord and hook one end to one of the middle head rest posts or use a stick to support said cover.

No place to store rear head rests under cargo floor when front seats are pushed back and I want to fold rear seat backs; I can always leave them temporarily at home.

#12 ·
More good news:
Front seatbelts are very easy to pull like on my Lexus RX350.

Rear seatbelts are height adjustable, a rarity.

The console cover, glove box cover, etc. all have a very smooth opening and closing. The same smoothness is found when turning A/C knobs and other controls on the center dash portion, a very high end feel and I love it!

More not so bad news:
In case of a flat tire, when putting it in the well where the temporary spare rests, the cargo organizer can no longer be reinstalled and must sit on top of the flat tire. The spare is the same diameter as the regular tires (+/- 30") but it's much narrower. I guess the Bose subwoofer would lay on the side or on top of the flat tire? It could be worse...think of the temporary spare installed under the cargo area (minivans, 2014 Highlander, etc.) where you have no choice but lay the dirty flat tire on the cargo floor!

Cargo organizer and cargo floor were rattling a little bit and some adhesive Velcro (the felt like type) helped but I'm still working on it. Loose hinges seem to be the culprit. I'm good at this having done this kind of fine tuning on all my previous vehicles (people say I'm crazy to do this on a new car) but it's my favorite pass time! I enjoy a quiet car well put together. This one is as good as my Lexus RX300 if not better.

So long. Hasta la vista. À la prochaine!

#20 ·

Cargo organizer and cargo floor were rattling a little bit and some adhesive Velcro (the felt like type) helped but I'm still working on it. Loose hinges seem to be the culprit.

You caught my attention with this. Wrapping up the jack, etc in some cloth took care of the worst rattles from the back, but exactly where are you applying the Velcro?

#13 ·
Welcome Freedom, I REALLY like your choice in White Pearl!

I to saw the exposed fins of the radiator at the front end and grimaced.
My wheel lock lug is rolling around even in the plastic bag, I need to fix that.

I got the tan/beige weathertech floor mats, they look nice and fit great. I need to post a picture.

I am jealous that you got the stainless bumper protector, I want one.

My car has just over 100 miles on the odometer. First impressions, so many buttons, so many gizmos, so little time to play with all of them.

Bob1

#14 ·
bob1, just curious how come you have Glacier Pearl not Pearl White like the rest of us who paid the extra money to get it ($300 in Canada)?

Exposed radiator fins...Nissan really blew it on this one.

I don't like Weathertech mats too slippery when entering & exiting the car and they don't hold the melted snow we get here, it just sloshes back & forth. A redesign is in order with ribbed areas. Too bad as they fit perfectly and go up on the sides a couple of inches.

The stainless bumper protector looks really good and it's cheaper in the U.S. than north of the border so yeah, go get one before you scratch that bumper!

I have a little over 100 kms and had to learn everything as I never had a MO or another Nissan but it's fun! If I pay attention, I can hear some wind & tire noise under certain conditions and I find the suspension a perfect balance between comfort and handling for my needs; I didn't push it hard while cornering but will do so before winter arrives. Keep on truckin'!

#15 ·
bob1, just curious how come you have Glacier Pearl not Pearl White like the rest of us who paid the extra money to get it ($300 in Canada)?
Because I am goofy. My late departed Highlander was called that and this is the same color. I just mixed up my terms. I need to edit my sig and fix it.:banghead:

#16 ·
I'm about your age so let's call it a senior moment (I get those once in a while)! I saw you corrected your signature already. Why don't we start a Pearl White club?

#17 ·
I got such a great deal due to some incident at the dealership. I'd rather not share it at this time as it would reflect poorly on the dealer though he has made it right. Bottom line, I am getting a check for $1800.00 mailed to me this week.

Let me just share this, my drive away price was about $28,200 with all tax, BS, Title and fees. Yeah baby. I e-mailed the dealer and advised I'll sell my Infiniti 2 door coupe and buy another Murano if he will duplicate that price. I wanted one in Black to compliment the Peal White.

Not surprising, I did not get a reply!:eek:

Color is personal but I love the Mo in both Pearl and Black.

#18 ·
What a deal! I like black but only in the showroom...for everyday use, I prefer light colors but as you said, it's personal.

More not so bad news:

The black foam seal at the bottom of the windshield where it meets the dashboard is visible from the driver's seat. Is that normal, are they all like that? I guess I can also check at my dealer.

I tried to pullout the front cup holder as described in the manual to clean it to no avail even with rubber gloves. The small compartment in front of it came out no problem as described also in the manual; I thought this was a great idea because spills do occur. Perhaps they made a mid-cycle production change?

#21 ·
I put adhesive Velcro (the fuzzy/felt type not the one with multiple little hooks) on the plastic compartments so when the cargo covers are closed, including the cargo organizer there are no more rattles when driving on rough roads. Say a few square pieces of about 3/4" is enough (I buy it by the yard where they also sell fabric by the yard, much cheaper); first I just tap lightly everywhere on the covers with my fist to locate the rattle. In some areas, you will see some very thin felt applied at the factory but it's no enough. A hard surface hitting another hard surface is bound to induce rattles...The covers are made of hard fiber and the bottom compartments are made of plastic. You could also use strips of thin black foam adhesive weather stripping. Have fun!

#22 ·
More good news:

Just got my Sirius XM free 3 month trial sat radio!

The cargo area is quite large as yesterday I was able to shove my touring bike without removing the front wheel; the hitch for my bike rack was b/o. Of course I used protective carpets...

More not so bad news:

I noticed a few days ago that the exhaust was hanging low but apparently that was more apparent in gen1. I did not see anything for gen 2.

Those Goodyear Eagle LS are a bit noisy and I hear them from the cargo area; I may add some soundproofing like I did on my previous vehicle.

On the highway, I hear the tire noise from cars passing me perhaps because the MO is fairly quiet to start with, the engine just purrs at 60 mph.

Got a Curt hitch installed but it's hanging below the bumper. Not Nissan's fault, I should have gotten a Hidden Hitch but as mentioned in another tread, my shop does not sell them anymore due to premature rusting.

#23 ·
More good news:

The interior fit & finish is just phenomenal with no squeaks or rattles and tight fitting panels, radio etc.; I took the time to examine everything in detail in my garage with an LED flashlight and my reading glasses! I could only find some very minor gaps near the front door window (triangular black cap), the A pillar where it meets the dash and under the dash near the parking brake pedal but with the door closed while sitting in the driver's seat, it's impossible to see those knick knacks. Did I say I'm very fussy (I have good eyes)??? The glove box and the console close with the smoothest click I've ever experienced.

More not so bad news:

I just discovered that the fog lights don't have an indicator light. Funny, my only other vehicle like that was my 1999 Lexus RX300; it must be a luxury thing...

No panels under the dash and the carpet is thin and the end is not well finished and kind of loose; then again, one must look under the dash to see this...How many cuckoos like me will do this?

#24 ·
More good news:

The interior fit & finish is just phenomenal with no squeaks or rattles and tight fitting panels, radio etc.; I took the time to examine everything in detail in my garage with an LED flashlight and my reading glasses! I could only find some very minor gaps near the front door window (triangular black cap), the A pillar where it meets the dash and under the dash near the parking brake pedal but with the door closed while sitting in the driver's seat, it's impossible to see those knick knacks. Did I say I'm very fussy (I have good eyes)??? The glove box and the console close with the smoothest click I've ever experienced.
Lord a'mercy, I am glad you weren't one of my customers when I was selling cars. However, I would have made sure you were happy with the outcome.

You Do know that people at the dealership tell stories when you're not listening....?

Just for fun, here's a little story...when my wife and I drove a succession of Audis, we had a transmission problem with a 1990 200. I had a pretty good transmission guy who I knew fairly well. I asked him why it was so hard to find any transmission shop that would work on my Audi 200's transmission.

His answer: "Because the only people pickier and more of a pain in the ass than Audi owners are BMW owners. No one wants the grief."

I have tried to avoid perpetuating that stereotype.

#25 ·
I sold cars too in 1974-75 when Ford cars were biodegradable; heck I sold a Gran Torino wagon demo and it was already rusted through the tailgate. That's a good one Pilgrim! Never had Audi or BMW but I had a 1976 VW Rabbit and one day the dealer had a free inspection promo with a rep/engineer from VW Canada; I told the rep that the car was badly designed as it did not have front fender liners like most cars and the fenders were starting to rust. Boy did he give me **** with his strong German accent! How dare you say our engineers are no good, bla bla bla !"/$%?&. Of course the Rabbit, Golf, Rabbit and Golf (they kept changing the name) eventually had fender liners.

No one would like me if I was working in quality control in any factory on the planet!!! Give me a Rolls Royce and I'll find a few things that are wrong (lol).

#27 ·
More good news:

The front seatbelts are so easy to pull, the only other vehicle I had that was like that is my RX300; it feels very luxurious and that should tell you something!

I did my first out of town trip yesterday (went cycling up North with my group) and it felt wonderful, limo like comfort; the only problem is trying not to fall asleep at the wheel especially after pedalling 30 miles on the hills and having a good lunch to boot!

More not so good news:

Yesterday the outdoor temperature was 25°C but it was showing 30°C in the display. All my previous cars were showing 1°C more than the actual temperature which is O.K. but an extra 5°C, this is almost 10°F...

Everybody tells me how big the MO looks and I have to explain all the time that it's only about 8" longer than my 2012 RAV4, a couple inches wider and the same height. Some say it's the color, others say it's the body styling, I say the windows play a big role; IMO, the very slanted windshield and smaller side windows create an illusion de grandeur!

#28 ·
You will never get a good read on the outside temp when the car is sitting. It picks up heat from blacktop parking lots, engine heat when the car is shut down. I have seen my temp drop 12-15-20 degrees when moving after sitting in a hot parking lot and engine is still hot.

When cold, after I leave the garage, it takes about 3 miles of driving to drop to the true outdoor temp. When the radio is on and they say the temp, it's usually 100% match of the real temp.

Now yesterday I was looking if there is any way to get the temp on the color display monitor as opposed to the small window in the center of the instrument cluster? I have not found a way but would prefer it to display someplace else. Don't think I can do that.

#29 ·
Thanks bob1 but the car was not sitting and this is not the first car I have with a thermometer. I was driving on the highway yesterday for half an hour and today too with same results; outdoor temp was 25°C and indicator was showing 30°C. It seems the reading goes bezurk above 25°C but seems closer to actual temp below that, weird...Will talk to my dealer eventually.

#30 ·
I don't think anyone here can call a fix on that Freedom. Sound like maybe they need to plug in a new sending unit or maybe it is goofed up converting C from F (if it even does that).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.