Nissan Murano Forum banner

New Nebraska Member

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Freedom55 
#1 ·
Hello All,

I've owned my Murano since 2011, but am new to this forum.

I live in Omaha, Nebraska, where we get a variety of weather - very hot in the summer, very cold / icy in the winter. Unfortunately we have overall lousy maintenance of our streets and highways.

My Murano is a Merlot LE AWD with black leather and NAV.

It's my first Murano, but third Nissan; previously owned a 1996.5 Hardbody Pickup, and a 2001 Pathfinder.

I just replaced the OEM Toyo tires at just under 50,000 miles, that's what brought me to this forum.

Thanks for all your helpful information and shared experiences.

#2 ·
Welcome HuskerMO, you will find this a very friendly place as opposed to some boards where they bark at new posters. I have been on other boards that go out of their way to insult folks at basic questions but I have never seen that happen around here.

#3 ·
Welcome to the club. Great people and info on here. Did you go with the Yokohama Parada Spec X ?

#4 ·
Welcome to the club! Similar weather & roads in my neck of the woods...Nebraska or Quebec, different country/state/province, same battle!

Indeed a very nice forum, I'm new too; only had my Mo for 6 weeks and already found tons of information. Thinking of selling my new OE Eagle LS and getting something quieter with better traction, still studying my options and I may wait until Spring.

#5 ·
I happened to pick up a Consumer Reports for a family member who lives in the UK and likes to keep up on US autos. They had an article on tires and it was interesting to read that Michelin and Pirelli came out really well in many of their tests. It might be worth a read for anyone who is thinking about changing their tires as they seem to have evaluated brands across a range of conditions. They don't specify tire sizes but categorize and one of these is light truck/SUV.

By the way, while here in the UK I noticed on the roads what looked like the 2015 Murano. On closer inspection it's a new version on the Qashqai. Looks just like the new model Murano, only slightly smaller.

#6 ·
As much as I like Consumer Reports, you have take their tests with a grain of salt. I have two charts in my hands, one is from the Nov '14 magazine and the other one is from their '14 annual best of the year booklet based on previous years ratings and for the same tire, they have conflicting ratings and that's not the first time it happened! It makes life more complicated for us, savvy consumers...Also their ratings take into consideration snow and ice traction, not a factor if you dedicated winter tires like me; sometimes they have ratings that show best for 3 season and that's what I look for.

Tire size will affect the ratings as the speed rating may vary according to the size of the same tire! T, H and V tires may behave differently depending on internal construction and compound used. I tend to use the latest ratings or you can make an average and hope for the best! Ride and noise are based on their own judgement, no sound meter is used. Then again decibels don't tell the whole story as high and low frequencies are not perceived in the same way by the human ear and with age, we gradually lose the ability to hear the high frequencies. Also depending on the test vehicle, things could be completely different.

The Continental CrossContact LX20 sounds like a contender for my needs as it's the only one in the Nov '14 issue to have top marks for wet braking at the expense of average handling. Not sold at Costco but available just about anywhere else.

The Nokian HT Sport Utility is not available in my size, the nearest is 235/60/18 and it had top marks for dry & wet braking, hydroplaning and noise, worst ratings for snow & ice in the '14 annual booklet, my kind of tire!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.