Nissan Murano Forum banner

09 Nissan Murano rear end fish tails

5K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Pilgrim 
#1 ·
Hello All -

I am a noob and have a queston, sorry if this question has been asked before....

My question about a month ago our 2009 murano S AWD has been "fish tailing" what I mean by that is when we are driving and hit a bump or an uneven road the rear end likes to fish tail, but the front does not.

I have been told the vehicle needs new shocks and struts would that fix the issue? if not if anyone else has experienced this issue please let me know what you had done to correct it.

I apologize if this is in the wrong section. If so can a moderator please move to the right section.

Thanks in advance,

Sting

#2 ·
First, check tire pressures, Low tires in back will result in a very loose feeling. You can safely run 38-40 PSI on all four corners and it will give you better handling.

Second, you're leaving out critical info. How many miles on the Murano? regardless of mileage you should not experience this problem, but if the car has perhaps 80K miles or less it's not likely that shocks are the problem.

Third, more missing info...who told you this? Has the Murano been inspected (this is implied but not stated) or is this just an opinion you heard? Is that info coming form a competent source, and what source?

We've actually heard a similar complaint in the past - try some searching for the word "fishtail" and see what you find.

#3 ·
Sounds to me like bump steer from the rear axle and that's been discussed on other posts and it happens on brand new vehicles. I have that problem and got used to it; when hitting bumps, it feels as if the vehicle has a live rear axle or torsion beam, instead of a fully independent suspension.

#5 ·
Fishtail. Moved thread.

Please help me find the appropriate forum thread.

I signed up for this specific issue. I'm at my wits end with my dealership stating everything is in spec while my rear axle jumps and lurches to the right after hitting minor bumps in the road.

#6 ·
SO - what year vehicle? How many miles? What tire pressures? What have you done to diagnose it?

Information helps. There are other discussions on this if you search, but I'm not sure that any of the people who posted about it ever followed up with solutions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.