Nissan Murano Forum banner

2015 MO with Panoramic Roof / Cross Rails Question?

61K views 108 replies 46 participants last post by  lipcio 
#1 ·
Does anyone know why the 2015 MO with Panoramic Roof can't have the Cross Rails installed? Does the roof movement interfere with the cross rails? The roof rails that come installed look like they can accept the cross rails.

Looking to install ski racks and no one seems to make a product. Checked Thule & Yakima. Thanks for your input!! Have a 2015 Platinum with Tech Package in Gun Metallic / Graphite Leather on order for my wife.

#2 ·
They are available as an OEM item from Nissan. In the picture they look silver in color now as opposed to the previous black. Not sure about the aftermarket brands.

#4 ·
I have had both on my 2010 with moonroof. the factory cross rails were very low with little clearance. my Thule cross rails are elevated and provide a much better clearance, as well as more flat load area I don't have to worry about scratching as they come off when not in use

#5 ·
I'm thinking that you CAN have them installed, but not by the factory while the car is being built. You should be able to purchase the cross rails from the dealer and you or your dealer should be able to install them. Most likely, the point in the assembly line where the roof rails are installed, is before where the moon roof is installed. If the cross rails were installed before the moon roof, they would have to be removed first so the moonroof could be installed.

This is my theory and I'm sticking' to it! :laugh:

Take care!

Jim

#6 ·
I tried building a 15 platinum version Murano on their website and when I got to the accessories part it did allow me to add the crossbars. Wouldnt make sense if they did something with the 15's to prevent use of crossbars. On a side note I had them on my 09 and was going to buy them for my 14. But after a while liked the look without them better and not going to use them anyway. Plus cleaning the roof is much easier especially when it snows.

#8 ·
Dealer tried ordering Cross Rails from parts department since car is due in a few weeks but was told they couldn't be fitted on a Plat w/ tech package. Must be the panoramic sunroof. Thule & Yakima don't have solutions for the roof either, hopefully soon. Open to suggestions?

#9 ·
That's really strange. Platinum with Tech package has the same roof rails, even down to the little removable panels exposing the threaded inserts for attaching the cross rails. I can't believe that they would offer the top of the line Murano without the capability of installing the cross rails.

#10 ·
I totally agree red kiosk...but its not just the Platinum, its any Murano with Tech Package aka Panoramic Sunroof that you can not add the cross rails to on Nissans website. I'll have to watch the operation of the sunroof as it must come in contact with or close contact with the cross rails (if they were installed).

#16 ·
Delayed Availability

Purchased my 15 Platinum last month and have had no luck in finding out when the Cross Bars will be available for purchase. Spoke with the Dealership and they stated that it was not an option that was being offered on their "Accessory Website." I showed them the NissanUSA site on my phone where they are clearly shown in the Accessories Section and on a couple of the Marketing photos and all I get from the Accessories guy is, ("I don't know bud.") Does anyone have any information as to when they will be available for purchase? Thanks

#17 ·
Just bought an SL Mo a couple of days ago and had to forgo tech package so that I could have roof rails to haul kayaks. My sales guy thought it had to do with gas mileage. All car companies have to comply with an average 40 mpg standard. Also why the Xterra died. It's BS. So I did a lease. They better figure it out in the next 3 years. I'm withering for lack of sunlight!

#18 ·
Received my 2015 Mo Plat w/tech a few days ago. After examining the panoramic roof operation my guess is when it tilts up this may interfere with the front cross bar if installed. Wish the cross bars were available as I would be willing to be the guenie pig...

#19 ·
My worry is that it is a weight/support issue. I do not believe that even just venting the sunroof would actually be interfered with the cross bar (though they are pretty low-profile in this new design). I still got the panoramic sunroof, but will need to use a cargo carrier at some point. I may purchase the crossbars at some point and eventually take my chances. If it is an interference thing, no big deal. I need the added storage space more than I need to open my sunroof. I usually use the cargo carrier once a year, so I would just put the crossbars on when needed. Won't need it this summer luckily.

Still...would like to get a straight answer some day.

#20 ·
Yea sucks that I can't even get the the stupid cross bars. Was really disappointed that nobody at the dealership was willing to acknowledge this issue. However, for my long trip their giving me a different vehicle for my planned long trip this weekend. Since I will not put a hitch on a leased vehicle. So going to get a Armada as a loaner vehicle. However, not really happy with the solution but better than trying to put a cross bars on a Murano with moon roof.

#21 ·
My friend has an Audi Q5 with a panoramic sunroof and the roof rails are of the same type as the Murano (flush with the roof) and has crossbars installed. Audi has clamp accessories to attach the cross bars, even if you have the panoramic sunroof. I think different manufacturers are handling this differently. I hear the same with the Santa Fe - cross bars are available with panoramic glass roof, on the same kind of rails. On the other hand, before I got the Murano I also cross shopped the Edge - and if you pick the panoramic sunroof option there - then you have to take off the cross bars.

I think (I hope) that Nissan will come up with a crossbar solution for the Platinum in due time.

Audi Link below:
http://www.iamaudi.com/audi-q5-roof...roof-racks-on-my-q5-the-portland-audi-expert/

#22 ·
Got this email response from the salesman at the dealership we just bought our Murano from, when asked about cross rails...

"
The good news is there are actually panels on your 2015 Murano rails that you pop off and inside it is 100% ready for the cross bars – Nissan just has not yet released them as an accessory.

Should not be all that much longer before they are fully available to purchase.

Thanks again,
"

#23 ·
That's good news, meaning Thule, Yakima and a few others are probably working on it...

#25 ·
I am interested in potentially buying a 2015 Murano SV. The crossbars are an absolute must for me. I just did an online chat with Nissan and asked if the crossbars are available with the panoramic sunroof. I'm not sure that I 100% believe the answer, but here is part of the transcript.
You: Ok. Just to confirm. I can order a 2015 Nissan Murano SV with the Premium Package (which includes the sunroof) and also order the crossbars that attach to the roof rails?

Niko P: Correct.

He also said that they are only available from the factory and are not dealer installed, but that seems kind of fishy to me. I asked why they aren't listed on the web site and he said that they only recently became available and haven't made it to the web site yet. I'm almost positive that I saw them listed a few days ago. He couldn't tell me when the web site would be updated to show the crossbars, so I may have to wait and see.

#30 ·
Just bought the 2015 Murano - Got Snowed

Well, just bought the 2015 Murano Platinum. I knew nothing about the broo-haha over the cross rails.

Anyway, salesman said that they were available & said they were shown in the advertising/brochures. We told him that we have a road trip in 2 weeks - which was the reason we were trading in old Toyota at this time.

We specifically said over & over & to the manager that we needed the crossrails.

Hindsight is 20/20. We were kept in the shop until late - after the parts dept closed. They had to find a car, get the keys for it, permission to test drive, run credit, etc Hours....

Anyway, we bought the car by 9pm. I called salesman next day & he said he was still looking into the cross rails. Called him again on Friday & said that they aren't available but I can by a hitch for the back.

Now we're mad. Going back to dealership on Monday. Have evidence of misrepresentation by salesman. Will likely go to litigation - and perhaps start a class action.

Anyone in??

#31 · (Edited)
Crossrails

I have been trying to get straight answers from Nissan about this issue for 3 months now. 1st excuse was that the crossrails were in development and didn't know when they'd be available. 2nd excuse was that the crossrails had not yet been designed, no production date available. I filed a complaint with the better business bureau and they assigned an "Executive Customer Service Rep" we discussed the issue, she promised to research the issue and asked other than getting the rails what would satisfy me, I told her that if they couldn't provide rails they had advertized they should buy back the car. She told me they would likely buy the car back and would get back to me in a week. At the end of the week she called and told me that the issue was still being researched and debated and asked for a weeks extension. I agreed and a week later she called back and informed me that they would not buy the vehicle back, that the Platinum Murano with the Tech package could not be equipped with crossbars and I should have seen that when I built the car. I explained that I had purchased the vehicle off the lot, their advertising brochure said nothing about the Tech Package not being able to support the crossrails. I asked why you couldn't get the crossrails on the Tech package and was told that it produced to much wind noise. I asked if they had seen both the Audi Q5 and Hyundai Santa Fe, both with panoramic roofs and tech packages had no problems supporting crossbars with the same type of roof rails and suggested that Nissan might want to to talk to them since they had solved any "problems" with that configuration. Nissan seems to think that this ends the matter and informed BBB that the issue had been "resolved". I have since informed BBB that the issue was not resolved and it appears that Nissan has engaged in false and misleading advertizing in order to sell more vehicles. I guess my next stop is the CT Attorney General to file a Consumer Complaint with them. Good Luck

#35 ·
I have been trying to get straight answers from Nissan about this issue for 3 months now. 1st excuse was that the crossrails were in development and didn't know when they'd be available. 2nd excuse was that the crossrails had not yet been designed, no production date available. I filed a complaint with the better business bureau and they assigned an "Executive Customer Service Rep" we discussed the issue, she promised to research the issue and asked other than getting the rails what would satisfy me, I told her that if they couldn't provide rails they had advertized they should buy back the car. She told me they would likely buy the car back and would get back to me in a week. At the end of the week she called and told me that the issue was still being researched and debated and asked for a weeks extension. I agreed and a week later she called back and informed me that they would not buy the vehicle back, that the Platinum Murano with the Tech package could not be equipped with crossbars and I should have seen that when I built the car. I explained that I had purchased the vehicle off the lot, their advertising brochure said nothing about the Tech Package not being able to support the crossrails. I asked why you couldn't get the crossrails on the Tech package and was told that it produced to much wind noise. I asked if they had seen both the Audi Q5 and Hyundai Santa Fe, both with panoramic roofs and tech packages had no problems supporting crossbars with the same type of roof rails and suggested that Nissan might want to to talk to them since they had solved any "problems" with that configuration. Nissan seems to think that this ends the matter and informed BBB that the issue had been "resolved". I have since informed BBB that the issue was not resolved and it appears that Nissan has engaged in false and misleading advertizing in order to sell more vehicles. I guess my next stop is the CT Attorney General to file a Consumer Complaint with them. Good Luck
Wind noise? I thought the main issue is mechanical with the front cross and the tilt function of the moonroof.

One option would be to disable the tilt function (still could open with sliding as it is not a pop up type).

A real miss here by the Nissan engineers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.