Nissan Murano Forum banner

2015 Murano - Towing specs change

51K views 35 replies 14 participants last post by  pflowers 
#1 ·
As you may or may not know Nissan found it necessary to reduce the towing specifications for the 2015 from 3500 lbs to 1500 lbs. I suspect they did this to significantly reduce their warrantly liabilities on engine and transmission repairs. I also suspect that if you put on a Class 2 trailer hitch and subsequently bring it in for any repairs associated with the engine and tranny that you will be found to have violated the terms of your warranty. That said, I think I will still opt for a class 2 hitch as I have a 1500 lbs trailer that I use for hauling small amounts of mulch, dirt, and firewood on occasion. I've always had a hitch and never had any issues. Has anyone put a hitch on yet? I'm thinking of purchasing either a Hidden or Curt hitch from e-trialer.com. Any ideas?

#2 ·
Had to check into this one, either sneaky or wrong....
The specs tab right on the nissan site shows under the accessories that they sell a class 2 hitch ball, rated to 3500 lbs. Where is the 1500 coming from?

#3 ·
Where is the 1500 coming from?
They may still sell the Class 2 hitch ball, but everything I have read (both Nissan info/manuals and reviews) state that the towing has been reduced to 1500 lbs. for the 2015 Murano. I too think that they are trying to protect the CVT. Take care!

Jim

#4 ·
I just installed a HiddenHitch on my 2015 yesterday. Very simple install. Haven't done the wiring for the lights yet though. I don't think that they can prove from your hitch what you are towing. I mainly use mine for a receiver type bike rack but I also plan to pull a couple of jet skis which will still be under the 1500 lbs rating. I posted pictures of the HiddenHitch installed in the "albums" forum just this morning. Here is the link:

http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/63-gallery/183833-hiddenhitch-2015-murano.html#post495889

#5 ·
dknelson, Did you remove the exhaust pipe from the muffler or did you just remove the hangers and lower the entire exhaust system using a ratchet strap like on the 13'? I'm just wondering because the instructions say to remove the pipe from the muffler which means the gasket has to be replaced.

#8 ·
OK! I got my trailer hitch in from e.trailer.com and went to the Nissan dealer and picked up the wiring harness part number 999T8-C3000. I stopped in to the service department while I was there and just out of curiosity I asked them how much it would cost to install the hitch and harness. $540.00!!!! WTH!!!?? I said, "I already have the hitch and harness!" They said the computer was saying it was 4.5 hours of labor to put it in and that is the cost! LOL! I think I will either put it in myself or have U-Haul install it. Not sure yet. Looking at the installation instructions it really doesn't look too hard to do but just like everything I do, I just don't want to run the risk of voiding the warranty.

#10 ·
I am sure it is different for the newer generation Murano but for the first generation ones, if you wanted a factory look, you would have to install the OEM hitch which was mostly hidden behind the back bumper and the only visible part was the receiver. To install those you had to take the back bumper off and even replace the reinforcement with one that had special cut outs. You also had to lower the exhaust system to get it out of the way during installation. All of that did take a long time. The one you have looks really nice but it is not hidden. It simply mounts under the bumper.

#12 ·
Yeah, I am not super mechanically inclined although I was in the Army for 17 years as a Petroleum Supply Sergeant deal with the mechanical conundrums of my pumps and vehicles. I could Jerry Rig a truck engine to get from point A to point B or troubleshoot a pump that wouldn't start but I've never dealt with putting anything of significance on my own personal car. I took it to a local (reputable) Tire and Auto place in town and they are doing it for 99.00. Guy said he could have it done in an hour. It appears all the wiring that came in the wiring harness kit I received from Nissan connects directly into the existing wiring as I did not see any spliced wires. Every wire had a male or female connector. Anyway, I'll post picks as soon as I get her back.

#13 ·
Yeah, My 2013's hitch was completely hidden, but I was looking for something that looked good even if it was visible underneath. As long as it doesn't say UHAUL underneath there, I'm ok with it. I just never really understood people that leave the UHAUL decal on their hitches....looks weird and gives UHaul a lot of free advertising. I don't even let the dealer put their gaudy decal or plate frame on my cars. Why am I going to advertise for them? I told the last dealer that I would let them put the sticker on my car if they took another 1k off the selling price. You might of guessed it, they didn't bite.

Reactions: Freedom55
#14 ·
You are right. There is no splicing at all. Just plug and play. zebelkhan may be correct about an OEM hitch, maybe that is why they quote it so high. My dealer told me the same thing. Over $1000.00 for the hitch, harness and installation. I haven't seen an OEM hitch on the 2015 so don't know if it is hidden or not but at that price, you can all see mine. :)

I used it for the first time yesterday. Pulled a double jetski trailer with 2 Kawasaki 1100 jet skis on it. Pulled great. Probably only about 1500 lbs. total and that's about all I will pull with it.

#15 ·
I actually found a used OEM hitch via Ebay and installed it on my 07. Took a couple of hours, but it was rock-solid. That was a rare find, and it cost as much as an aftermarket hitch that would have made me just as happy. I took advantage of the one I found less because it was less visible and more because I knew it would be absolutely correct for the vehicle.

If I hadn't found it I would have ponied up for a $100 aftermarket hitch and been perfectly happy. A Murano isn't a sports car, and if I'm hanging a trailer hitch on it, I'm fine with it being visible. No matter what you do you're going to have a big old 2" hitch box hanging out the back, so you're not fooling anyone.

Reactions: Freedom55
#16 ·
It's tow time!!

Dropped it off at 10am and got her back around 1230. No problems and I think it looks great. I kinda like the look of it better when the bar is showing. makes it look a bit more rugged. My 13' Mo only showed the 2" receiver and that certainly looked cleaner but again....you're not fooling anyone. Here are some pictures. Going to go pick up that load of mulch I need for our yard!

Attachments

#17 ·
As you may or may not know Nissan found it necessary to reduce the towing specifications for the 2015 from 3500 lbs to 1500 lbs. I suspect they did this to significantly reduce their warranty liabilities on engine and transmission repairs. I also suspect that if you put on a Class 2 trailer hitch and subsequently bring it in for any repairs associated with the engine and tranny that you will be found to have violated the terms of your warranty. That said, I think I will still opt for a class 2 hitch as I have a 1500 lbs trailer that I use for hauling small amounts of mulch, dirt, and firewood on occasion. I've always had a hitch and never had any issues. Has anyone put a hitch on yet? I'm thinking of purchasing either a Hidden or Curt hitch from e-trialer.com. Any ideas?
You really should read the manual carefully. On my 2009 the max towing weight is 3500, that's including the trailer plus the weight inside your MO (so that includes your passengers, and cargo). So it's possible Nissan decided to make it less complex for people by saying 1500lbs towing without including the max weight. :)

Page 9-13 of the 2009 Murano explains it best. :)

#20 ·
With the increasing porkiness of US families, they may not be far off. Remember that it's a five-seater, so if you have three 200-pounders (not unusual) and a couple of 100-pound kids, you're at 800 pounds of passengers. Add five 30-pound carry-on bags (or a couple of loaded coolers, bags and beach stuff, and you're at 950 lbs.

I see a LOT of people that run 250 pounds each, especially at Wal-Mart where they buy their XXL sweat pants.

The deal is, the Murano is not a tower type vehicle. Small trailers, to haul some mulch or pick up an oversized piece of furniture you are fine. You might even get away with towing a small boat or skidoo. If you think you can tow a camper or even a pop-up you better get a truck or a larger vehicle. I believe if you stay at the 1500 lb weigh restriction you will be fine, go over that by more than say 3500 (old rating) you risk doing serious damage that may not be covered by the warranty.
SUVs and crossover SUVs are the most popular vehicles on the market right now. They're expected to tow just about everything. I've used our 07 to tow a U-Haul with my daughter's entire household goods 1000 miles, and it never complained or heated. I personally suspect that the reduction in towing rating is just a factory adjustment with no mechanical change - but I don't design or build the dang things.

But of course if you tow more than the allowed rating and admit it when you break something, you won't be covered by the warranty. That's how warranties work.

That's one well-packed 16' double-axle U-Haul.

#19 ·
The deal is, the Murano is not a tower type vehicle. Small trailers, to haul some mulch or pick up an oversized piece of furniture you are fine. You might even get away with towing a small boat or skidoo. If you think you can tow a camper or even a pop-up you better get a truck or a larger vehicle. I believe if you stay at the 1500 lb weigh restriction you will be fine, go over that by more than say 3500 (old rating) you risk doing serious damage that may not be covered by the warranty.

#21 ·
With the empty weight of that trailer being 1,980 lbs. and the loaded weight capacity of 2,800 lbs. you were probably well over the rated specs for towing with that 07' so it shows that Nissan Engineers grossly under rate the capability of the Murano. I suppose it would matter what kind of terrain that amount of weight went through if it was relatively flat or mountainous. Thanks for sharing.

#22 ·
In this case, towing was across eastern Colorado through Kansas to Oklahoma, so the flatland terrain was not a factor. However, I can tell you the trailer pulled easily (one reason i made sure to get a double axle) and I wouldn't have been scared to head west across the Rockies. However, if I were climbing into the mountains I would have taken it much slower and easier on uphill slopes.

I don't think I was over the 3500 pound limit with that particular load, as there was nothing unduly heavy in it. In addition, there were never more than two people in the Murano and any cargo inside the vehicle was stuff like lampshades and delicate stuff that was light.

#23 ·
I can say I have pull the same U-HAUL at least 3 times with my 06 Murano moving my kid from that bachelors to masters (AL to KS), then again from Master to PHD (KS to MD) [crossing the smokey mountians] and another trip from MS to MO with stuff from my in-laws, and every time to the trailer was loaded to the gills. And my only regret was that I did not do a good enough job balancing the load front to back. Lots of fish tailing if I let the speed creep up. You figure I would have learned the first time. :) Also the dual axle has hydraulic brakes which help with mountians. Balancing your load is true with pulling any load, maybe more so with the dual axle you need to balance your load more than a single axle. Now would I do it again with a 2015, possibly if I did not need to carry as much weight, plus the fact that I am done with moving the kid!. "Your an adult, the next move is not on Dad" :D

I tend to agree that the theme of the thread, and it has a lot of valid points, and maybe reducing the overall weight is the goal of the change of the spec.

#24 ·
Good points, Mike! Tongue loading on a trailer is critical to safe handling.

On our first trip in that U-Haul, I had four snow tires on wheels sitting at the back end of the trailer. First time I hit the brakes, that damn trailer fishtailed badly. I've done a lot of towing, but that flat scared me.

We pulled over, I removed the tires/wheels and put them in the back end of the Murano. That was just enough weight difference (100-150 pounds off the back end) to change the balance of the trailer and it behaved nicely after that. I would have unloaded the whole thing if I needed to in order to get the balance right. No way was I going to travel 1000 miles with a trailer ready to go out of control if I had to dynamite the brakes.

A trailer must ALWAYS be heavier on the tongue than on the rear end. ALWAYS. If the tongue is not heavier, you will get dangerous fishtailing from the trailer when you brake. It can go out of control and jackknife or pull the whole vehicle around. Please keep this in mind and be safe!

#25 ·
Hi All, I joined the forum today. I was checking out buying a Murano, and needed it to be able to haul my 19 foot boat and trailer. Saw differing towing capacity specs for the 2014 vs the 2015 : 3500 vs 1500. I need the 3500 capacity. Spoke to the dealer, who said that for 2015 Nissan had changed the transmission in order to give better mileage. He didn't have any specifics of the change, so I started looking on the internet and found that the final drive ratio for the 2014 is 5.17 : 1, while that of the 2015 is 4.68 : 1. I purchased the 2014 in February. I apologize if the following doesn't belong in this thread, but it seems related. I bought a Curt class III hitch from eTrailer and was able to install it myself without lowering the exhaust. I have electric brakes on the trailer, so had the wiring done at a hitch shop. Here is the link for information about the hitch , as well as an installation video which I found to be very helpful: Curt Trailer Hitch for Nissan Murano 2014 - 13577

#26 ·
If you tow that setup with a 2015 Murano, you are voiding the warranty. It's that simple. Not something you want to do with a new car.

If you have a 2014, then whatever the manual says the towing capacity is, is reality. If it's 3500, make sure that the boat, trailer, engine, fluids (gas/oil), passengers and cargo in the vehicle all total LESS than 3500 pounds.

#27 ·
Not sure if Pilgrim's comment was directed at my post, but in any case, I said I had purchased a 2014, so the warranty will not be voided by towing the rig I described. The following is from the 2014 Murano owner's manual, section 9-19. You may wish to compare your statement about what constitutes the 3500 lb capacity with what the manual says. If I'm reading your statement and that from the manual correctly, they seem not to agree. Simple as that ?

(Mod note: the following excerpt is edited for readability)

....required to achieve the rating. Additional passengers, cargo and/or optional equipment, such as the trailer hitch, will add weight to the vehicle
and reduce your vehicle’s maximum towing capacity and trailer tongue load. The vehicle and trailer need to be weighed to confirm the vehicle is within the GVWR, Front GAWR, Rear GAWR, Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) and Towing capacity.

All vehicle and trailer weights can be measured using platform type scales commonly found at truck stops, highway weigh stations, building
supply centers or salvage yards.

To determine the available payload capacity for tongue load, use the following procedure.

1. Locate the GVWR on the F.M.V.S.S./C.M.V. S.S. certification label.
2. Weigh your vehicle on the scale with all of the passengers and cargo that are normally in the vehicle when towing a trailer.
3. Subtract the actual vehicle weight from the GVWR. The remaining amount is the available maximum tongue load.

To determine the available towing capacity, use the following procedure.
1. Find the GCWR for your vehicle on the “Towing Load/Specification” chart found later in this section.
2. Subtract the actual vehicle weight from the GCWR. The remaining amount is the available maximum towing capacity.

To determine the Gross Trailer Weight, weigh your trailer on a scale with all equipment and cargo, that are normally in the trailer when it is towed. Make sure the Gross trailer weight is not more than the Gross Trailer Weight Rating shown on the trailer and is not more than the calculated available maximum towing capacity.

Also weigh the front and rear axles on the scale to make sure the Front Gross Axle Weight and Rear Gross AxleWeight are not more than Front Gross Axle Weight and Rear Gross Axle Weight on the F.M.V.S.S./C.M.V.S.S. certification label.

The cargo in the trailer and vehicle may need to be moved or removed to meet the specified ratings.
Example: on a scale - including passengers, cargo and hitch - 4,926 lb. (2,234 kg).
F.M.V.S.S./C.M.V.S.S. certification label - 5,263 lb. (2,387 kg).
from “Towing Load/Specification” chart - 8,300 lb. (3,765 kg).
Load/Specification” chart - 3,500 lb. (1,588 kg). = 337 lb. (152 kg)

Available for tongue weight 8,300 lb. (3,765 kg) GCWR = 3,374 lb. (1,530 kg)
Capacity available for towing 337 lb. (152 kg) / Available tongue weight 3,374 lb. (1,530 kg) Available capacity = 10 % tongue weight

The available towing capacity may be less than the maximum towing capacity due to the passenger and cargo load in the vehicle.

Remember to keep trailer tongue weight between 10 to 15% of the trailer weight. If the tongue load becomes excessive, rearrange the cargo to obtain the proper tongue load. Do not exceed the 10 to 15% tongue weight specification even if the calculated available tongue weight is greater than 15%. If the calculated tongue weight is less than 10%, reduce the total trailer weight to match the available tongue weight.

#28 ·
Hi Sweeper - I edited the font sizes and pasted together that text so it could be read. Hope I got it right.

What I get out of that is that you have two weight ratings to deal with. First is the Gross Vehicle Weight, which in their example is 8300 pounds. That's one limit.

Second, the weight of the trailer must fit within that gross weight. As I understand it, if the trailer's complete load and all contents of the vehicle (passengers and cargo) exceed 8300 pounds, then the weight of the trailer or contents of the vehicle must be reduced to a number within the GVWR limit.

They are nice enough to explain tongue weight as well, which is important - a trailer without enough tongue weight is dangerous to tow.

I guess it's up to you to run the numbers using the info on your vehicle and the specs quoted. I'd like very much to hear the numbers you arrive at.

#31 ·
I have a 2011 Murano and would like to get a cargo trailer to haul music gear, go camping, etc. Nothing huge, probably a 5'-8' enclosed trailer that's around 800 pounds dry.

I am curious if any of you have gotten air shocks or anything similar to beef up the rear suspension? When I go camping and have a bike rack with two bikes and a loaded down Murano, the rear sags quite a bit. I figure an air suspention kit would help here as well as when towing a trailer. Thanks!

#32 ·
I'm not sure why that happens. You must have a lot of weight far back on the vehicle. My 07 carried a trailer with 200-pound tongue weight without sagging in the rear.

Air bags or something similar may help - but please remember that the Murano has a total load rating that should not be exceeded. If you're carrying a lot of heavy stuff and multiple people, you may be pushing the limits on total load rating.

#35 ·
I did have a decent amount of weight in the back, but nowhere near 3500 pounds. I assume the heavy Yakima bike rack and two bikes had something to do with it. But only two people and all our camping gear, ice chest, firewood, etc...

It does make me think a tow trailer plus a couple people and our stuff may be pushing it though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.