Nissan Murano Forum banner

Keys around NAV too DIM when Headlights on!

11K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  Dangleberry 
#1 ·
I just purchased my Murano 2015, after multiple test drives I decided to pull the trigger, however, after getting the car home, when the headlights are on the buttons around the NAV screen are so dim that they are unreadable.

I have tried to adjust the brightness of the Speedo and the Tack but that does not seem to help the buttons. I have read both the manuals that came with the car.

Are they any other people having this issue??

Are there people that had the same issue that fixed it? If so can you please share with me on how to fix this??

I have also gone through all the settings that were on the car and nothing would make the buttons brighter.

They are super bright when the headlights are off, just when they switch on is when they become unreadable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Which buttons are you writing about? The Nav screen or the other dash buttons like VOLUME & AC and so forth? The NAV screen has a day/night mode swith option on the left of the screen. You can also set its brightness with the NAV set up menu.
The other dash lights are controlled with a dimmer on the lower-left side of the dashboard behind the steering wheel.

I drive my 2015 for about 4 hours last Sunday night and the dash lights took a little.bit of tweaking.

#4 ·
Yes I am talking about the Volume, Menu buttons.
During the day they are perfect, just during the night they look like they almost turn completely off.
I have a picture of the dash during the day, I will need to take one tonight to show what I am talking about. I will post the night picture tomorrow.

Attachments

#5 ·
Ok, so I was able to take the pictures of the dash when it was dark and the headlights were on.

Now the dash brightness was turned all the way up to its brightest setting.
I have taken two sets of pictures,
One set is with the headlights on and the NAV screen is off and on
The other set is with the headlights off with the NAV screen off and on.

Attachments

#9 ·
I do not think that is anything we can do about that. I tried all the settings and the buttons that I could find to adjust the brightness of the lights in question here. Only a software update could resolve that issue. It was probably overlooked during the design process or it was decided that it was OK the way it is. However I do not think that will ever happen because it is only cosmetic, not a life threatening defect. It will cost Nissan too much money to do a recall, and update the software for such thing.
It is just my opinion.

#10 ·
This seems like a non- issue to me. Most of these buttons are redundant touchscreen buttons. You can access Menu, Map, Audio, and Back buttons from the touchscreen. You can advance tracks with the touchscreen as well, when playing music they are on the Audio screen. I don't think finding the volume or tuning knobs is an issue. The only one you might need to use is the Camera button. The Day/Night button is kind of a one-time use button. Set it and forget it.

Attachments

#12 ·
I can confirm this problem does exist. Just test drove a 15 Murano Platinum and the button texts are nearly invisible in a cloudy day when auto headlight is on.

Not sure what caused it, could be a software bug relate to the environment light sensor, or some led voltage regular module is faulty.

It may not be a deal breaker, but a glitch nonetheless. Don't know when they can find a fix. The dealership is as clueless as ever.

Attachments

#13 ·
I'm not even sure this is connected to having the headlights on. I noticed this weekend, while I was driving around dusk, when the auto headlights turned on, my dash lights didn't even dim. It was several minutes later, perhaps as it actually got darker inside the car, when the dash lights finally dimmed. Thought that was kind of weird...

#14 ·
I had my MO in service and had them look at the lights for the A/C and NAV and they said themselves that, they noticed that they were unreadable.... they also tested on other new MO's on the lot and said they were the same way, thus there was nothing they could do.

They came up with some BS excuse that maybe they didn't want that area too bright with lights and made it that way.

I call BS....

I am looking at how to go over their head to try to get this fixed as since the A/C controls are not on the touch screen how to get the text brighter...

AND if they wanted us to use the touch screen all the time, then why put the buttons around it??

#17 ·
Yes, I think you are missing something. Just because you haven't touched your controls in weeks when you need to and they are not readable you might understand.

Just because it might be something that the masses do not use doesn't mean that other do not.

First I am not you, and just because you don't use the controls... Well, I DO use the controls....

I think people are stuck on the fact that since the MO has a touch screen NAV system and the buttons are redundant, and some people set the A/C to AUTO and never touch it again they forget the fact that maybe just maybe you paid over 40$K for something that doesn't work as it should. I am not saying I know everyone's situation but I work hard for my money and what I spend my money on, and right now I feel like Nissan doesn't care that they have overlooked something and someone that has given up their hard earned money wants to see if it can be fixed isn't too much to ask.

If you disagree that is fine, everyone has their own opinion, but just because you have your own opinion and my opinion doesn't line up with yours doesn't make mine irrelevant, I am not asking you to understand, ALL I asked if anyone else has noticed the same issue.

I can do without your condescending remarks about how I shouldn't need to touch or use those buttons. buttons in which I cannot read under certain circumstances.

and just because it doesn't cause you any issues at this present moment, doesn't make it ok just to say well you have other ways around it and forget about it.

#18 ·
I'm an engineer by training. I'm also significantly OCD. I need my equipment to work. Perfectly. I maintain my equipment like it's museum-worthy (for example, I own a 1998 Olds Aurora that I bought new. It looks like it came off the showroom yesterday.) Thus, understand your mindset probably better than would 95% of anyone out there in the world. Framed by these facts, I'm not a constant knob-fiddler as evidently you must be. I set the car at 69 degrees and leave it there except on very cold winter days, when i raise the temp to 74.

So as a fellow-sufferer of OCD, even I don't understand why you're having a problem with something that is only in evidence for about a half hour 2x a day. While I'm driving, I'm not staring at my console. I actually go 30-45 minutes at a time where I don't feel a need to be looking at it.

Further, there was nothing condescending about my response. But I think YOU should probably switch to decaf. Cuz dude...

#19 ·
No problem.... I am not getting in an Internet forum pissing contest....
Thanks for your responses... I look forward to next time we can "talk" about issues about our Model of vehicle..... Hope you have a blessed day

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.