Nissan Murano Forum banner

Is it worth buying extra warranty from dealer?

6K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  zebelkhan 
#1 ·
Some dealers offer 6 years/140,000km (that's 87500miles) comprehensive warranty (not just powertrain). Instead of usual 3y./60,000km (37500miles) here in Canada.
Is it worth it? I don't know the cost (my guess would be around $1800-2500), since we politely declined, but now I'm having second thoughts.
Thank you.

#3 ·
I feel that the cost of the extended warranty is expensive... BUT with the amount of goodies on the new cars and all the electronics that it wouldn't take much to make up for the cost.. like .. cvt 4k engine 3k .. nav screen 1k....

#6 ·
I got a 7 year/140000 km warranty on my murano. It also included oil changes and tire rotations in the price and roadside assistance and stuff like that. It costs me about $4300 canadian, for me the peace of mind was worth it. Gotta pick and choose where you spend a little extra money.

#8 ·
I am in the same boat with my 11 CC, will be dropping off the 3 year warranty the end of September and am contemplating additional comprehensive warranty as well after reading about some issues with the convertible top mechanisms lately and dealers quoting 15K to replace entire unit.

#10 ·
Well I am thinking it may be worth getting. I found out today from my Nissan dealer that even though it states 3yr 36k bumper to bumper, that's not 100% correct. There is a lot of red tape and small print with that statement. She said it's really 1yr 12k mile bumper to bumper. The remaining balance of 2 yr and 24k is defects only repaired. She said if your seat is loose and squeeky they will fix if it's under the 1yr and 12k mile. If it's over then the customer is financially responsible for the repair. I told her that is ridiculas. She said I am the 1st person that has ever complaind about there interpretation of the 3yr 36k bumper to bumper warranty. She also said any recalls after the 3yr 36k mile warranty also is the customers responsibility. Here is the sheet she gave me.

Attachments

#11 ·
Your attachment is not visible. Anyway - that's bad, but I guess this is the trend with most manufacturers today. Most of them have such fine prints on their warranty. Also, the thing is there's no alternative to Murano, Ford Edge is ugly and less fuel efficient, less comfy ride etc. others are even worse. YEs, there is RX350, but it's $20K more. So whatever is the warranty with Nissan I guess I will suck it up and hope that Japanese quality of engineering is not lost in Nissan yet.

#12 ·
I purchased the 5 year/100K warranty with road hazard on mine only because my former car (Nissan Maxima) had AC issues at 85K miles and major pothole damage from the terrible roads here in Michigan. The Murano has so much technology build in I decided I didn't want to deal with it so I got it; I also don't trust Michigan to do anything significant about the roads in the next five years. Still there is an issue with financing a warranty that most people do not realize. If you total the car the insurance company will only cover the cost of the car and you will still need to make payments on the warranty.

#14 ·
To be honest in SV we ordered - there's nothing "full of technology" that any other car doesn't has or had in past 10 years. I mean A/C was introduced at 60-ies? Power seats and lift-gate I don't consider a "high-tech" really :) - our old TnC minivan had all this and more and nothing broke down. The real deal are CVT and engine - but I guess 3y. Powertrain warranty is solid on those ones, no?

#18 ·
It's only transferable to the new owner if you sell the car. You can't transfer a warranty from one car to another.

Reactions: Dushash
#19 ·
Also, let's be real here - this extra warranty has lot and lots of limitations and as it appears only for first year Nissan will change the problematic parts with new. After the first year - they will either offer to adjust/fix old part or will charge you for the price of new part.This is something a lot of manufacturers do nowadays, not only Nissan. I just wanted you guys to be aware of what are you buying and don't have naive expectations that dealers will fix your car for free during warranty. IMHO, first 3 years are the period when 95% of issues come out - after that if you maintain your vehicle properly you are better off with extra money in your pocket than on useless warranty. IMHO of course. I mean $2-4K for warranty is a lot of money. I can buy and replace stuff like alternator/starter or muffler etc. for much less than $1000 (including labor). And just so you know muffler is not covered under warranty as it's considered a normal wear part (as are not covered a lot of other stuff in the car). I'm not saying never buy a warranty, but just know that it's a limited one, very limited. IMHO if dealer gives you extra warranty as a deal package - then take it - if you have to shed extra $4000 for it - it's not worth it.

#20 ·
Firstly, the Murano is a very reliable vehicle. Good ratings from a number of sources that you can Google. Above average as far as a new car goes. Secondly, as has been noted, this isn't a warranty, it's an insurance policy against something major going wrong, and it does have many, many limitations that most folks aren't aware of. Extended warranties (insurance policies) are not recommended. They are a money maker for Nissan, or whomever is selling them. If not, they wouldn't be offered.

In buying a new car, if you are that worried that something major is going to fail, and NOT be covered by your standard new car warranty, I would certainly be looking at another vehicle. Cars have gotten so good nowadays, that you very rarely see something major failing, except when people neglect or abuse them. If something does go wrong, get it fixed or trade the vehicle.

So, short answer is NO!

#22 ·
I usually buy the extended warranty but have never wasted my money. That is because of several factors:

1- I buy the policy that gives me the most coverage and least number of exclusions (It is important to check what may be excluded just as much as what is included).
2- I keep my cars for the long haul, usually at least 7 or 8 years and over 125k miles, so I buy a policy that gives me the best combination for the numbers of years it would take me to get to the 125k miles.
3- I shop around for the best price. It is a mistake to fall into the "oh it will only cost you $xx more in monthly payments". So I don't buy the extended warranty when buying the car. I have 3 years and 36k miles to do it so I take my time. Maybe during that 3 years I put aside the "$xx" that would have paid every month and then pay cash for the warranty when I find the best price.
4- Any car I have ever owned, including my Murano, has needed something by the time it had 125k miles on it, and extended warranty has paid for those. Granted, in most cases I did not come ahead (repair cost = money I had paid to buy the warranty) but I never lost either and I would have been covered if it was worse.

So as long as you are smart about it, I don't think you can lose buying the extended warranty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.