Nissan Murano Forum banner

How the LED headlights work?

18K views 37 replies 13 participants last post by  riff42 
#1 ·
I am in concideration what to buy: 2016 NX 200t Fsport, 2016 Murano Platinum, 2016 Tucson 1.6T Ultimate.
All of the come with the LED headlights. How it works vs to the HID? For me it would be a deal barker if new car won't have the HID or better lights.

Could you guys post some video or pix how it works during the night, how long is the pattern on the road and any of your thoughts about the LED. Thanks

#3 ·
thanks for your posting, however I am not asking for comparison HID vs LED vs Halogen.......:D I am asking how the light output goes on the road from Murano LEDs vs stock HID (not aftermarket kit)....For instance new Leds on audi is way better than any HIDs....however it doesn't go with all LED factory installed!!

also, from this point, my be some one can open up a cap and check what bulb size used in murano`s LED headlights?????? Actually it will clearly give an answer what to expect from these lights at night....

#4 ·
I can't provide a bulb answer, but I bet any Nissan parts desk can.

As far as light output, I also ride motorcycles so I'm very sensitive to light output at night. In general, I find the output of the LED lights to be excellent. But since they have that blue-white color, it can be harder to discern things in that light. When I turn on the highbeams though, I swear I could start fires with the light output. Absolutely amazing. I'm very, very pleased overall.

#5 ·
The LEDs are quite good, but not as bright as a brand new HID setup from what I can tell. They are roughly equivalent to the nearly 10-year old HIDs in my previous car.

The biggest impediment to night-time driving in the Murano is all the interior screens and white gauges IMHO, I miss the night-vision friendly red illumination in my Mazda.

Edit: Also, agree with DJO - Murano high beams are the best I've ever had.

#6 ·
IMHO I've seen some recent LED bulbs in some cars and they don't look as bright on road as a good HID. You need to have some really nice and expensive LED's (like in that AUDI) to be anywhere near good HIDs. In Murano HID's are excellent. Can't tell anything about LEDs in Murano (I highly doubt they are as good as in latest AUDI (I hope you know how much LED's cost in AUDI - they spent a good portion of R&D money on that LEDs).

P.S. not been smart-ass or anything and I respect your choice, but IMHO NX is a completely different car. For better or worse, but it rides much harsher and is nowhere near as comfy as Murano or as spacious inside.

#27 ·
I can testify tho that as well. The Murano LED's are so much better than my 2010 Maxima HED's. The high beams are scary good, I feel guilty flashing them at people and worry that I might get pulled over by the FAA for trying to bring down a plane.

#8 ·
One last thing: the video test results posted do not accurately reflect what I see out my windshield while driving. Not even close.

The biggest impediment to night-time driving in the Murano is all the interior screens and white gauges

So true. It's like being in the "pod" in the movie "2001 A Space Odyssey".

#9 ·
Why not take a 2015 Platinum for a road test at night? On the 2015, only the Platinum has LED; other trims have good old standard halogens...On my 2014 the hid's are good but I was expecting more; it's my first vehicle with such lights and on the last previous ones, I installed brighter bulbs which helped a little (Sylvania SilverStar Ultra). You would have to compare an older Murano preferably a 2014 with a 2015 and see for yourself.

I think the Tucson belongs to another category but if it meets your requirements, why not?

#10 ·
thanks guys.

I can't figure out, the murano has projector lens, thats where the LED is located, right? If so, you probably can change that LED bulb right? Can you check your manual for instance....Thanks

Regarding to the NX, yes it is true. Also $50K spend on 2l I think is insane. The new Tuscon is 1.6l and this is too way small for such bigger car, also they do not offer active cruise like on Murano, so it is out of consideration.

#11 ·
thanks guys.

I can't figure out, the murano has projector lens, thats where the LED is located, right? If so, you probably can change that LED bulb right? Can you check your manual for instance....Thanks
I just checked the manual and for Platinum model (that comes with LED) it doesn't say what type of LED bulb is in there. It simply says: "see a Nissan dealer for replacement...". I can't find anywhere what LED bulb exactly is used. It's a new vehicle and I think so far only dealers and owners who can get to the LED bulb itself can know what type of LED bulb it is. Nothing on the Google so far.

I read couple reviews though, that said Murano's new LED is low and high beam (both LED) and they are very powerful and much better than on 2012 Audi A4 LEDs.

#12 ·
It's very frustrating in general trying to get "stuff" for this car. I haul my two huge German Shepherds around in the back. I wanted fitted seat covers. Nope. No one has them. Wanted to look for custom wheels using the tool that lets you look at a side-view picture of your model so you can see how they'd look. "Image not available." Hell, even my bought-and-paid-for lighted kickpanels won't be available FROM NISSAN until the end of August.

I know this is a temporary issue, but just damn, you know?

#15 ·
i am quickly realizing this issue as well. we too want fitted seat covers for the back (dog and kid) and no one has them specifically. we found some that *should* work but it wont be a seamless fit. Same issue headrest dvd players. they make them for every car. but doesnt give the options for the 2015. its not like the murano came out last week. its been out for no less than 8 months.....

#17 ·
The only positive is that since it IS a brand new totally redesigned model, one gets a great deal of attention as people see you drive by, or people pass by as it's parked. Kind-of positive reinforcement regarding my purchase decision and the ungodly high payments.

;)

#21 ·
AFAIK Murano 3rd gen. 2015 - will be a global model and be produced for various different markets: "The Canton Vehicle Assembly Plant becomes the global source for Murano production, creating export opportunities to more than 100 markets".

It was already debuted in Asia. BTW, they got a Hybrid plant as well - it's a 2.5L + electric motor + battery (same as Pathfinder Hybrid). It is scheduled to be brought to Europe this Fall.

#28 ·
Agreed. I keep having people flash me at night. I've verified that they are aimed correctly. The throw of these things ON LOW is absolutely incredible. I get as much light thrown down the road as any set of high beams on any car I've ever owned.

#30 ·
I'd have to find a place to do that. Bear in mind that a black road surface isn't going to show up well. It's the stuff on the sides that show, like the road markers, signs and stuff. Let me see what I can come up with. It'll take a few days.

#31 ·
I've got the SL with the halogens. My last car was a 2012 Maxima Premium that had HIDs that were very bright and white but had a very dramatic drop off which made them less than effective at night. The halogens in my SL, while not as bright or white, have a much further throw down the road. Might have to do with being at a higher angle.

Does anyone know if the halogens are customer replaceable? I wouldn't mind replacing them with some whiter SilverStars.

#33 ·
Glad to hear I can replace them myself. I seem to remember hearing somewhere that the dealer has to remove the headlight assembly which seems silly. I'll probably go with the SilverStar ultra. Just want a cooler color temp and whatever extra brightness I can get.

#34 ·
I found where I read about having to remove the headlight assembly. The owners manual says that since the headlight assembly has to be removed, see the dealer for bulb replacement.

#38 ·
Well, in short, I just got a BMW R1200RT. The headlight is pure SUCK! I want to add aux lights, but they are SO expensive most of the time...or cheap and fail. I love LED lighting. I have already prototyped a laser headlight in my free time. I saw a sweet deal on mis-matched Murano headlight set.....70$ and I have everything I need!!!! So, my plan is mount them in a carbon fiber tube, and attach to the bike with the Aux bracket. Easy peasy, right? HAHAHHAA.......ha.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.