Nissan Murano Forum banner

What should new buyers be aware of?

10K views 28 replies 16 participants last post by  Pilgrim 
#1 ·
Hi folks,

My hubby is considering purchasing a 2015 Murano platinum with the technology package. What things should new buyers be aware of? Any issues or problems? Any must-do options or accessories? What warnings would you give a potential buyer?

I read that some people feel the steering is too light/disconnected from road feel, and some bemoan the fact that it's not 'sporty'. My hubby would be trading his 2013 Avalanche for the Murano, so in comparison it would be a lighter and likely more responsive vehicle anyway. For sporty I have a Corvette Grand Sport, so we get that fix elsewhere. ;-)

Wanted to get real owner's opinions.

Thanks!

#2 ·
The steering is indeed "numb" as many reviewers have said. There is also a flat-spot in acceleration performance between 30 and 40 mph or so. It takes time to configure all the car settings.

*I* think they look "sporty", or at least as sporty as an SUV can look, considering their "mission."

I have the exact car you're looking at getting. There are no options that need to be had other than the Tech package and AWD. (Though I did get the cargo area cover.)

#4 ·
The steering is indeed "numb" as many reviewers have said. There is also a flat-spot in acceleration performance between 30 and 40 mph or so. It takes time to configure all the car settings.
Can't argue with any of that. I'd add the "tightening/loosening" of the cvt when cruising at 30 mph. I have the AWD Plat with tech package and am to this point very happy with it.

#3 ·
He should be aware that the Platinum rides a bit harsher than the models equipped with 18" wheels. It's not terrible or anything, but it's something that several people have pointed out. Little "on-center" steering feel as well. It takes a few days to get used to if you're coming from a car with "sporty" steering feel.

#7 · (Edited)
I think my 2015 Platinum is light-years ahead of my 2007 Murano. I have not experienced any mushy steering or flat spots. However, my car fell within the dates for an ABS module recall, which is already fixed.

The 2015 is basically a smart phone on wheels, so if the 2013 Avalanche does not come with a vast array of hi-tech additions like adaptive cruise control, Bluetooth, voice-activated commands, smart-phone integration and the like you might be in for a surprise. Make sure the salesperson shows you how to do some basic things like downloading the NissanConnect app and pairing it to your car if you decide to buy it.

#8 ·
By "numb" steering, I'm not at all talking about "mushy." The steering is firm and tight, but perhaps TOO tight, thus not really letting road-feel come back up to my hands through the drivetrain. That's what I was talking about.

#27 ·
I've noticed the exact same thing despite lots of reports saying "light steering". It's quite firm at any speed even when crawling. Not quite used to it yet after a month of ownership; I prefer the feel of my 2014.

#10 ·
The only additional options we ordered aftermarket were Weather-tech winter mats: 2015 Nissan Murano | WeatherTech FloorLiner - car floor mats liner, floor tray protects and lines the floor of truck and SUV carpeting from mud, snow, water and dirt | WeatherTech.ca but that only because we are in Canada and we have lots of slush and muddy snow - so usual winter carpet mats are useless - you'll get white salty carpet after first winter without it. Not sure how is weather in Oregon though. Another handy thing is cargo net - keeps small luggage stationary.

As already mentioned here Platinum comes with 20'' rims - something to consider in future, as tires will cost more and ride is a bit harsher and noisier on hwy than on 18'' rims. But difference is surprisingly small - thanks to Murano comfy ride. Other than that - nothing else. Steering feel is very good and easy - people have to understand it's a comfort oriented SUV and you shouldn't expect BMW 328i handling. My sister has 328xi and to be honest in comparison to Murano, the car that puts smile to my face after driving it is not BMW.

#11 ·
Another complaint many have had - even though there's really nothing you can do about it - is that surface where the hood meets the cowl of the windshield that is pointed right at the driver. That and the two ridges on the hood constantly shine sun-glare right in your face.

Also, one time at night it reflected an overhead light I was passing under. I was focused on the road and saw this something flash for a second just above at the hoodline. It made me flinch and almost swerve even though I almost immediately realized it was just a reflection.

I've been wondering if there's some kind of non-reflective film that can be applied to this surface. My Murano is black anyway and you'd only be able to see it from inside the vehicle anyway.

#16 ·
I read that some people feel the steering is too light/disconnected from road feel, and some bemoan the fact that it's not 'sporty'. My hubby would be trading his 2013 Avalanche for the Murano, so in comparison it would be a lighter and likely more responsive vehicle anyway. For sporty I have a Corvette Grand Sport, so we get that fix elsewhere.
First gen Muranos (from 2003-2007) came in a sport version - the SE. Those had standard HID (xenon) headlights, a 6 speed manual shift mode for the CVT, and (most significant of all) a sport tuned suspension that provided a noticeably firmer ride and better handling. Unfortunately, because of the type of cars they are and the type of people who mostly bought them, there just wasn't enough demand for a `sporty' version, and the SE was dropped when the 2nd gens came out in 2009 (there were no 2008 Muranos).

My 04 SE - bought new 10/04 - is still going strong and has been virtually trouble free for (almost) 11 years and 113K miles. The best car I've ever owned.

#17 ·
Interesting that no one else really has this hood reflection problem. It's really bad on mine. Especially on my way homeward bound commute when the sun is behind me. I don't know if I've seen anyone else complain about it on this forum but I watched several video reviews before I got mine and most of them complained about it. Though they also said it was their only complaint. :D

#19 ·
I put 1700 miles on my Pearl White Platinum AWD with Tech package last week and absolutely love love love the the adaptive cruise control and Forward Emergency Braking. Only once did I notice the glare issue and it wasn't all that big of a deal. Also highly recommend the Weather Tech mats for the front row and the cargo cover. Tinting the front windows is also a good idea as it cuts down the glare on the screen and makes the car look so much cooler (feels cooler too).

#24 ·
Hood glare

I picked up my 2015 murano in arctic blue this week and love it. however, the glare from the beveled edge of the hood is unbearable. I instantly solved the problem for $50 by going to a guy who specializes in wrapping cars and doing all sorts of vinyl work on them. he created a custom decal in matte finish gun metal and it fills the entire bevelled edge. looks great and no more glare!

#26 ·
It's not really an issue for most colors. Murano is so good, that we start nit-picking and discussing such stuff like glare from hood. :) it's certanily better than we were talking about gasket oil leak like the ydo right now in Subaru forums. Now that is a real headache. :eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.