Nissan Murano Forum banner

iPhone issue- Help!

11K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  Hollybmp 
#1 ·
Maybe somebody can help here. I have an iPhone 5 that when I connect it to the USB 1 port, using an Apple cord, it doesn't even show as charging. If I go to the USB 1/iPod option on the touchscreen, it says no USB device connected. I'm pretty tech savvy but I'm baffled on this one.

#2 ·
What happens when you connect with the rear seat USB - does the same issue occur?
Have you tried any other USB devices // or apple device to see what happens? -> Just trying to determine if there is something wrong with the port or not.

I'm using iPhone 6 // 6Plus and various iPods connect without issues.

#3 ·
Does it work with USB 2 port? iphone 5 had lots of threads on similar issues due to various reasons (software, cable, adapter, iOS version etc).
Maybe you should upgrade it to iPhone 6? :D I have a feeling that it will be much easier than fighting with compatibility issues.

#4 ·
I checked the USB 2 port and that one works fine. Phone shows that it's getting charged and the screen recognizes it and asks to do the set up. Tried USB 1 again after that and nothing.

#5 ·
Hmmm, that only indicates ether problem with USB 1 socket or some fuse problem (unlikely there is a fuse for only USB1 separately). Can you try plugging any other device to USB 1? If results will be same - then most probably USB1 socket itself is not connected/damaged then it's a dealer trip for you probably. :(
P.S. I don't think there is a setup option to turn on/off USB1 at NissanConnect right?

#9 ·
I am using an Apple cord. I'll try a thumb drive in USB 1 and see if it even knows it's there.

Having problems with Nissan Connect too. In the app, when it asks for my vin I get a message saying that vin isn't set up for NC or something like that.

Have had the car since Monday night and really like it. Cutting edge tech is always a bit buggy and I'm sure I'll work through these issues.

#10 ·
Ok I just plugged a thumb drive into the USB 1 port and the screen recognized the device and asked if I wanted to designate it as ipod1 and so on so it's seeing that. I tried plugging my iPhone 5, using an Apple cable, into USB 1 and still got the "no USB device connected " message and the phone isn't charging. Again the phone works fine on the USB 2 port.

#12 ·
Ok here's an interesting twist. Yesterday I tied a co-workers iPhone 4 and got the same result as with my iPhone 5. This morning before heading to my appointment at the dealer, I tried my wife's iPhone 5 and my daughters iPhone 6+. Both hooked up seamlessly; charging and connecting on the USB 1 port. My wife's iPhone 5 is virtually identical to mine. We share the same iTunes account so we even have the same apps on our phones.

What this does tell me is that the USB 1 port physically seems to be fine. I figure there could be several things in play. There could be something wrong with my phone or there could be some compatibility issue between my phone and the car. I even tried deleting my phone from being paired to the car to possibly eliminate and conflict but to no avail. I keep plugging away at it.

As far as my issues with Nissan Connect, I found the number for the help line so I'll try them on my lunch hour Monday while I'm in the car and have the phone.

#13 ·
So I had some issues connecting Android tablets for charging to the USB port (both ports) . We found that a cable change made the difference - although this is not the case with you as other phones with the same cable work. I found it really bizarre as the cables we were using were the ones that came with the tablets, and then a knock off cable worked without issue. i dont know what to say on this point....very strange indeed.

For Nissan connect, the phone will have to be connected - iPhone only - DROID will work via Bluetooth with Google Maps search etc, but iPhone actually has to be connected. Did you register for connect? I know that my dealer did all that for me before I arrived for pickup.

#15 ·
I gave that a try and then even backed up the phone in iTunes and then did a full restore. Also cleaned out the Lighting port, none of which worked. After trying several other phones that all worked fine, I'm fairly convinced that there is an issue with my phone. Once the new iPhone 6S goes on sale next month I'll probably grab a 6 on sale. In the meantime it's not a problem because I use a phone cradle mounted on the vent to the left of the steering wheel. I then took an extra long lighting cable from Monoprice which I was able to have completely hidden from the cradle all the way under the console and come out from under the arm rest right above the USB 2 port and then right into the port. Looks really nice. I'll probably just use USB 1 for a memory stick. Now that I know it's my phone and not the car it's not such a big deal.

Thanks to all for the help in trouble shooting this issue.

#17 ·
So, all said and done, I have a 32 gb flash drive sitting in the USB 1 port and I connect my phone in its cradle to a lightning cord that snakes it's way around to the USB 2 port. The drive stays in the port all the time but the phone gets connected to USB 2 each time I get in the car (as well as Bluetooth via pairing but I don't think that's part of this problem).

Is there any way to stop getting the screen that keeps popping up saying something about iPod 1 and iPod 2 with the yes/no buttons? I get it for either port; phone or flash drive, depending on whether I connect my phone before the system finishes booting up or after. It's kind of annoying.

Thanks.

#18 ·
The lady who answers new user questions at the dealership told me that charging via USB for iPhones was slower as of now. She wasn't specific to the iPhone models. I've been plugging in my IPhone into the power plug inside the console and the charging power / speed is substantially better. I connect via BT for streaming. Hope this gives you better performance. ??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.