Nissan Murano Forum banner

Trailer hitch bicycle rack

6K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Pilgrim 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Is the question about mounting bikes on the roof, or with the trailer hitch mount? The OP seems to change topics in mid-post.

If the question is the roof, the answer is no and there's a long thread on roof racks for the 15 model...searchable.

#6 ·
I just had a trailer hitch installed on my 2015 Murano. It was done at the dealership and it has a 1.25 inch receiver (class 2 towing). The Murano is rated to haul 1500 pounds. We pulled a small 4x8 U-haul and loaded it with some college related living items. It worked wonderfully. Our next action is to get a bicycle attachment. When looking you need to ensure you have the correct receiver size matched up (1.25 or 2 inch). They make an adapter to convert from one to the other. The bike rack you linked us to doesnt look that bad. Just shop around and consider how many bikes, whether you want it to tilt down so you can open the rear trunk, and price. Enjoy biking!!

#8 ·
Hitch & Racks...

I helped my neighbor install a Curt hitch on his CRV. He also bought a two bike rack for it. Both are well built products.

As a consequence, I have a Curt 2" class 3 hitch in shipment for my 2012 Mo. I also bought an adaptor sleeve for my 1 1/4" ball mount from a previous car.

It would appear to be easier to put bikes on a hitch rack than to try to heft them up to a roof rack. Better aerodynamics as well.

#10 ·
I can't imagine any generic hitch-mount bike rack that would not work with a Murano hitch.

To get a better look at how they function, it might be worth checking YouTube, Yakima and Thule websites - I'll bet they have video showing how to install and use their particular racks...and they're not all that different.

Please be aware of the receiver tube size on the hitch you buy - I believe that most Class 1 hitches are 1 1/4 inches inside measurement. When you get to class 2 and 3, I'm pretty sure that all the receivers are 2". Buy the bike rack with an insert to match the hitch receiver size. Thule makes insert racks for 2 and 4 bikes with an insert that is 1 1/4" but turning a handle expands the sides of the insert to fit in a 2" receiver.

You can buy an adapter to mount either size rack insert to mount in either size of receiver, but they will set the bike rack out another 6 inches to a foot away from the vehicle and they inevitably have some slack, so the bike rack will move more from side to side as the vehicle goes down the road.

Simple message - it works best to match the receiver tube to the rack insert.

#11 ·
I purchased a hitch from etrailer and installed it in 15 min. My carrier is from Up One USA. Check out the website. Takes no more than 10 secs to load a bike and supports the bike from where a carrier should-the wheels. The carrier folds up when not in use and has a low visual signature.

#16 ·
If you need a briefing on trailer hitch size, please read: Trailer Hitch Classes Review | etrailer.com

I was mistaken - not all Class II hitches are 2". Mea culpa. Remember, advice you get here is worth every cent it costs you. (Reflect on that at length...) Or as Ronald Ray-guns said, "Trust but verify."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.