Nissan Murano Forum banner

What's your MPG and Average Speed?

14K views 51 replies 25 participants last post by  Merman 
#1 ·
Please post MPG or l/100km with average speed - otherwise it would be hard to judge as MPG in rush hour in big city will be completely different than rural town driving.

It's better to post final numbers before tank refill.

#7 ·
Drove to Baltimore (8 hour Journey) 2 weeks after having the car, and I pulled 7.8/100KM on the way down and back. Generally stuck around 115-120KM/HR. Mixed city/highway driving I will see about 10.5/100KM and these numbers are exactly the same as my previous car a 4CYL 2013 Optima Turbo.....pretty impressive as they rate the Murano at 8.2/100KM

#8 ·
Good to hear 28-30 MPG on highways. It's still amazing for an SUV this big with 3.5L engine and 4000lbs. Just 4-5 years ago this was medium and compact sedans territory.

We just got our Murano 2 days ago, but we so far got 23.5MPG (10L/100km) with 23.6miles per hour average speed. It's for combined city/highway driving on half of our first tank so far.

#11 ·
I've been less than pleased with my MPG on a white 2015 Platinum FWD. I live in Atlanta and have been averaging 19.0 mpg in traffic morning and evening. The best mpg I've achieved was last weekend at 28.2 mpg on a road trip to Montgomery, Alabama. I'm close to 4,000 miles on the odometer and was hoping to at least achieve the EPA 21 mpg city as the engine broke in. I know, the vehicle is heavy and all, but 19.0 mpg is the same as my old 2005 BMW 645ci which was a heck of a lot more powerful (V-8 engine).

#12 ·
Average speed matters. Same car can have 13 MPG in heavy city traffic and 21MPG in some other much less congested place.

If you are saying that your old 2005 645ci got 19MPG in same conditions like heavy Atlanta traffic during rush hours - then there's something wrong - it's rated at 15MPG city and you got 19MPG?

My sisters bmw 328xi can't even get 16MPG in city and its a small sedan.

#17 ·
Good question. We don't know how the 3.5L and CVT combo operates to answer that. If fuel injection is shut down during downhill (as it should be on smarter fuel efficient vehicles lately) - then switching to neutral will not raise MPG. If fuel continues to be pumped no matter what - then switching to Neutral may slightly increase MPG by allowing engine rpm's to go to lowest idle speed.

i have a feeling that Murano uses smart engine braking together with CVT - so it shuts down fuel injection when going downhill.

#18 ·
I use Fuelly to track my mpg on my cars, and thus far I'm averaging 22.1. I do a fair amount of stop/go driving making store runs, driving the kid around, etc. and sometimes I do a bit of lead footing. Overall pretty pleased.

We did take a road trip recently and averaged almost 29.

#20 ·
I have a 2009 (purchased in 2008) with 55K on it - I drive very conservatively - I have never gotten remotely close to 3o MPG on the hwy - I frankly don't believe it - I'm a musician and driving home late at night with a full tank - down US 1 so averaging between 50 and 60 - I can get around 25 - never come close to 30 - on the HWY averaging 75 to 80 I get about 21 or 22 - that's it and as I said I drive with the mindset to save fuel - I have seen these posts about 30 MPG for years on this site and I'm sorry but I dodn't believe it.

#21 ·
:DThis is 3rd gen Murano! It's a different car. It has lower weight, 0.31 drag coefficient which is especially important to highway speeds - so this means better MPG. In addition some say CVT is a bit optimized: better ratio, lower friction, even manual states different new NS-3 fluid for CVT.

#26 ·
Just an update: on regular gas (87) we (me and my wife) get 25.6 MPG (9.2 L) combined average over last 1200 miles of driving to work and back (4 weeks driving). I would say 30% city 70% highways. Which is not bad at all. Average speed 26.5mph (42km/h). It's FWD and we drive it gently, no lead foot on gas pedal.

P.S. In exactly same conditions our previous car Dodge Grand Caravan 2008 (5th gen.) was giving us 17 MPG. There you have it.

#27 ·
Bought my Murano AWD PLAT in June. With constant AC use this summer around town suburbs I avg 23.5-24.5. I don't use the trip calculator in the Murano. I do my math the old school way(miles divided by gal gas) Yet to take a long trip with majority interstate. Also hoping to see increase in MPG after first oil change or two.

#32 ·
We are getting a cumulative 23.9 MPG in mostly 75% city / 25% highway driving over 2500 miles over mostly flat terrain and good weather. That's my wife driving and she has a lead foot. Since I have an electric car, I have learned to drive efficiently and would probably get a few more MPGs. It's way better than the 17 MPG we got in our Saturn Outloook.

#33 ·
My wife just got 27.1mpg from Dayton to Pittsburgh with our 2006 1st generation murano. She was averaging 60 Mph and all highway, even with a couple traffic jam parts.
I would not have thought a first gen could do much over 25, but something about when she drives, she always does better than me!
She does try for good mileage, and understands how to get it.
She had it as high as 27.8 for a while even!

I easily believe the latest generation should be able to get 30mpg!

#34 ·
Went on a road trip this weekend. Got 26.7 MPG on the trip computer on my last fill up and got 395 miles on it without the gas light going off. I think there was still about 60 miles on the estimated range. I was between 70-80 mph for the most part.

I usually get 19-21 in mixed driving (I feel like it's about 30% city and 70% freeway so it SHOULD be better but oh well). City driving is pretty bad for mpg.

#36 ·
Our computer finally stopped changing value after accumulating 3500miles (5000km) of total driving. Now it stabilized on 26.3MPG (9.0L) and is staying there last 3 tanks of gas. We do everyday driving from Kitchener to Hamilton, so it's mainly highway. I would say 20% city 80% highway. Our average speed on computer is 29.8mph (48km). However, for those who does mostly city traffic average speed should be much lower and consequently MPG drop will follow. For example on very short trips in cold morning when engine is cold and needs to warm up, thus wroking not efficiently and driving only in city with traffic lights and some hills - basically worst scenario - I've seen computer show as low as 12.5MPG (18.7L). So I think fuel consumption in Murano greatly depends on kind of driving one does. On the other hand best case scenario was when I was driving purely on highway for close to 1 hour and MPG got to as high as 33,6MPG (7.0L) - that was a calm driving on a flat highway without traffic and maintaining speed not higher than 60-65mph. But then again, our Murano is FWD and SV - meaning it weighs good 250lbs less than some Platinum AWD. Not that it matters much on highway, but still impacts MPG somewhat to a lesser degree.

#37 ·
Just completed a trip. 432 miles, 56 mph avg. @ 29.1 MPG. I am impressed! The old MO would have been in the 23 to 24 range. The above average speed would have been greater if it were not for the valet leaving it idling for 10/15 minutes.

#41 ·
Break in period?

I see a lot of people mentioning a "break in period" regarding their care MPG.

I recently got a 2017.5 SL and -- granted we have been going through a terrible cold snap in the north east the last 2-3 weeks - but over the first month the mileage has been pretty terrible. Roughly 15 litres / 100 km (which I believe is approximately 15 MPG).

I've read some reviews online that had similar results to this, but I've also read many many people praising the MPG on this car, which is actually one of the reasons we decided to buy it.

In people's experience, should I expect things to get better once the break in period passes? How many miles have folks found it takes to break in?

Thanks.

#42 ·
Me too.. New 2017.5 Murano. Mostly City driving, I am getting about 17mpg (calculating the correct way - filling the gas tank) - computer says 18mpg. I am filling up my tank twice a week - ugh.... About 1000/miles month. Currently have 3700 miles on the car.

Will it get any better ?

#43 ·
Break in period doesn't matter. It gets flat out awful mileage in city driving. I don't know what sort of BS the EPA test has for city driving, but it ain't real city driving. Actual city MPG is close to 16-18 MPG if you're careful about it. A lot worse if you drive normally. I don't know in what fantasy world the EPA got 21 mpg city.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.