Nissan Murano Forum banner

No warning chime/sound when you foget to buckle your seatbelt?

25K views 35 replies 15 participants last post by  Blinky19 
#1 ·
Or maybe I'm missing something, maybe it's in the setup menu somewhere?
I usually buckle up, but there are times when it's one of those crazy busy days and I was surprised to find myself without belt in the middle of highway and my trusty Murano haven't even tried to warn me?

#3 ·
I think it's just not being done. I don't believe it's an NHTSA requirement anymore, just a recommendation since now airbags are everywhere. That and they still have the visual red signal in the middle of the instrument panel. Still it would seem to open up the car manufacturers to lawsuits but maybe not.

If you think about it audible cues are only secondary warnings, the primary warnings are always visual. That's because there are no restrictions on either deaf people driving cars or teenagers from blaring the stereo so loud they can't hear anything.

#4 ·
My 09 and now my 14 do not chime when belt is not buckled in. I don't mind at all. Maybe it's a Nissan thing.

#6 ·
I have experience with Nissans from a 2005...2007 and 2012 Maximas and now the 2015 Murano. None of them make an audible sound about seat belts not being secured. All of them did have an indicator in the instrument display though. Personally...I never need a reminder for myself...only for my other occupants...and the light is all I need.

#10 ·
All of my previous cars had the chime. I looked it up and it is not a mandatory requirement from the NHTSA. However, relying on airbags without using a seatbelt is extremely foolish.

#20 ·
As a former police officer who wrote many tickets over my 25 years, I would like to know how not wearing your seatbelt causes a driver to lose control of his car. Of course wearing it can save your life but talking on a cellphone or texting is called distracted driving and is way more dangerous to others. If you choose not to wear it you risk injury and death to yourself and suffering for your love ones. It doesn't change how you drive. But distracted driving does. But the fact is, no matter how many tickets are written, people will continue to break the law.

Reactions: cbenj and wtgkb8
#21 ·
I'm with you on that, Blinky. The only way not using a seat belt would reduce your control of the vehicle is under hard cornering if you slide around on a slippery bench seat. However, that's a problem that hasn't been around since the 1970's, as there just aren't slippery bench seats anymore. I suppose it could happen in a delivery van with a flat vinyl seat, but those are few in number.

However, I believe the issue is that people who don't wear them get injured or killed more easily, increasing total medical costs, and by doing that, raising everyone's medical insurance rates. I am stereotyping when I write this, but my observation is that the folks who don't wear seat belts tend to be the people who are uninsured. One thing I do know is that many people who don't wear them aren't very bright, as it's free insurance and to ignore it is s stupid thing to do.

I have always thought that failure to wear a seat belt should be a primary offense, meaning one that a driver can be stopped for. But it's not in many states. However, as reserve deputy for some years, I could usually find some problem to pull a car over for if I needed to. (Loose wires underneath, light out, driving over the fog line, failure to signal, etc.)

#23 ·
It's amazing that people fail to understand the effects of secondary (and even tertiary) collisions caused by unbelted people no longer in control of their vehicles. The importance of maintaining control - something very difficult to do if one is under his dashboard or through the windshield - following a sudden evasive maneuver, is certainly something an `ex-police officer' would understand. Then again, I've heard of some (obviously dumb) cops who don't buckle up themselves!

Even the form fitting, sport buckets in my 335xi wouldn't keep me behind the wheel (& in control of my car), if I had to make a sudden move on the highway. That's one of the reasons race car drivers wear 6 point harnesses. Of course, I'd like to see the govt. mandate THOSE in all passenger cars too!

#24 ·
Oh yea wearing a seatbelt keeps you more in control of your car. What the hell are you talking about. That is such bulls**t. I'm going to make such an evasive maneuver that I'm going to fly out of my seat? I don't think so. If that happened the seatbelt would be the last of my concern. Oh and you've ""heard" of some cops not wearing seat belts. Well there are lots of people (civilians) not wearing seat belts, talking on cellphone, texting, speeding, going through red lights and stop signs so what's your point. (Inappropriate comment removed - Mod.)

#27 ·
...Oh yea wearing a seatbelt keeps you more in control of your car. What the hell are you talking about. That is such bulls**t...
All you have to do to see that first hand (well, maybe second hand) is watch youtube dashcam videos of car wrecks. There are thousands of them in there, especially from Russia where, if I understand it correctly, many drivers do not use seat belts. In many of those collisions you see the cars continue to roll, sometimes for long distances, after the collision with driver either sitting sideways due to the impact or even not behind the steering wheel, obviously not able to apply the brakes to stop the car. Sometimes you see those cars running over pedestrians or colliding with other cars. Seat belt can help keep the driver behind the steering wheel where the controls are.

It is certainly wise to use seat belt. Many will wear them when sitting in the front seats but will forget to do so when riding in the back. As a former junkyard owner who purchased wrecked cars I can tell you so many stories about unbuckled people, especially sitting in the back seat who got killed flying forward in a collision when front passengers who were buckled survived that same accident.

#26 ·
You're right, Pilgrim. Plus, I should have known it would be useless trying to debate the value of seat belts (& why Nissan needs an audible warning when they are not being used) with a science denier - specifically one who thinks he can overcome gravity and g forces. At least ole Blinky here is in one of the bluest of blue states, and can be ticketed merely for not buckling up.

Some of us are in states still waiting for the NHTSA to take a firmer stand.

#28 ·
Yea it is unfortunate that I'm surrounded by liberals like Comrade mayor Deblosio. It's that thinking that's turning NYC into a cesspool again. And next time I'm in the space shuttle I'll wear my seatbelt because of the g forces and gravity. As far as me being ticketed don't you worry about it. Haven't gotten a moving violation in over 30 years. Good old mastershield:D

#31 ·
You're right. Shut it down

#33 ·
I've gone through the thread and although I'm not sure that it has contributed much or changed anyone's mind, I'm inclined to leave it open. Let's focus on the peculiarities of the seat belt chimes or system in the Murano, not debating seat belt laws which exist. If the thread gets off the tracks again, I'll close it.

#34 ·
I guess the auto manufacturers have a lot of discretion when it comes to chime and lights for the seat belt. My old Chevy would not even start if seat belt was not put on. My Murano didn't have the chime, only the light. And my Toyota has the light, and it also starts with a slow chime and it gets progressively faster and louder as you drive until you put your seat belt on... :)

#35 ·
One of my old VW bugs (maybe the 74, I had a few) had the seat belt/start interlock feature. That worked like a charm. And Pilgrim knows that our bimmers have the constant chime until the belts are fastened too.

Since so many people routinely ignore warning lights, I don't understand why Nissan uses a light alone for the belts, and not an audible alarm. Our federal govt. (ie the NHTSA) definitely needs to clamp down on the auto manufacturers who are being lax on this issue.

#36 ·
My 1932 Desoto has no chime, only the warning light. Oh wait, it has no seat belts :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.