Nissan Murano Forum banner

Any links for TPMS set for winter tires? Can't find anything yet.

6K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  Dushash 
#1 ·
So far only dealers have original set for $300. 2nd gen. Murano sets are widely available for around $150 for a set. At this point I'm ready to buy even non-original, but can't find even non-originals anywhere. Murano is already out for a little less than a year and yet still no TPMS sets? Very strange, especially considering that vast majority of buyers who buy separate winter set of tires with rims also buy separate TPMS set.

Anyone know any links or websites?

#3 ·
I decided to buy Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 235/65/18 for $200CAD per tire. Had previously Bilzzak DM-V1 on van and I liked them a lot. Frequently drove from Ontario to CT, USA for 900km on them during last winter in heavy snowstorm and I was very pleased. Other cars were barley moving, while we were driving at normal speeds - like it was a summer time. Was passing literally each and every car during the trip (except police of course). :)Now DM-V2 is a new version - I can't even imagine how can it be any better?

P.S. BTW from reading factory service manual - it turns out Murano has double zinc galvanized steel - like some premium German cars back in good old 90s. They rarely do like that anymore. So I decided to not do any rustproofing - will just wash the car more frequently. Should last at least 10 years without any rust visible anywhere.

#4 ·
Blizzaks are great tires by all reports. I just picked up a set of rather worn ones on rims to get me through next winter, after which I'll replace the tires.

The challenge to me is to remember that although winter tires will get me moving faster than others, they won't stop me much faster.

#5 ·
Why would you need TPMS during winter.... Just put rubber plugs.

The only thing that will happen is your TPMS light will stay on, thats it.

As a former Service manager for 4 years @ a Nissan dealership, I was suggesting my customers to only put rubber plugs for winter tires / or summer tires.

TPMS are just another gadget... Just check your tires before you get in the car and it will save you hundreds of dollars.

I just bought some new Nokkian tires, they are the best!! ( $189CA each )

#9 ·
I partially agree. I did that for my other car (Honda Fit). However, I still want to buy TPMS set for Murano, because that TPMS light that will be constantly on is annoying (and I don't want to use a tape to cover it - it looks horrible) and secondly because I would really like to know which tire is low in winter. I can drive without tpms usually, but in winter it's so cold that in the morning I don't want to spent even extra second, let alone a couple of minutes extra time checking every wheel for tire pressure. And if you check visually it's always a 50/50 chance you won't notice a difference between 31 and 34. The former will gradually sip air and by the time you are on highway you may develop a nice flat tire. Besides our tpms shows us exactly which tire is low and by how much. It's invaluable. I remember on my previous Dodge van in winter I often got tpms light come on and I knew that one tire had this issue, but they looked all the same - so I ended up filling and topping all 4 tires just to be sure. That was in -30C (-22F). I'm fed with that and want to avoid that experience. And even when you have a good manometer to check tire pressure - jumping around the car in such cold winter is not fun.

#10 ·
That's pretty good. The good news for you is that you are installing OEM tire size, and Costco will not do resizing. So in other words, I want to go with 17" and not the 20" for the platinum, but they look in the system and for platinum it says 20" and that is what they have to go with. So Costco is a no-go for me. My local dealer is offering $1280 for rims and tires installed with a season of storage. That seems pretty steep and Im just getting steelies!

#17 ·
I would buy four rims and have new snow tires mounted on them. I would not keep changing the tires out on one set of rims depending on the season. Mechanics around here would charge $25 to $35 a tire (or more) to do swap out tires onto the same rim. Someone said they could get a set of rims from ebay or some other place for $400. Yes, do that.

#19 ·
You can change size slightly to 245/50/20 and then you can get WINTERCONTACT or ULTRA GRIP ICE WRT or Blizzak DM-V1 (first version on sale) or Blizzak DM-V2 (new one) or MICHELINE LATITUDE XICE XI-2.

BTW 245/50/20 is the recommended tire size for Platinum according to tirerack. :29:

P.S. But actually it doesn't matter, because DM-V2 simply is the best tire there is from all those available. It's your choice and I'm not going to argue of course. Just my 2c.

#24 ·
Hmm, I just went to Tire Rack and it's still 245/50/20 for Platinum - see the attached pic. There are 6 different choices: 2 Blizzaks (DM-V1 and DM-V2), Michelin latitude X-Ice2, Yokohama, Continental and GoodYear.
I would personally chose Blizzak DM-V1 - which is on sale now for $150 (until quantities last), but Michelin and others are decent choices too.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...015&autoModel=Murano+AWD&autoModClar=Platinum

Attachments

#25 ·
Hi there,

Quick question. Do I need to buy 4 other TPMS if I put my original wheels on winter tires and put new aftermarket wheels on the continental all-seasons tires for the summer? I just bought some Blizzak DM-V2 and I will put the original wheels on them for the winter. Will I have to buy 4 TPMS right now or just next summer? Does it go on the tires or the wheels? It seems like it goes on the wheels...

#27 ·
Perfect thanks! That is what I thought.. I now have to decide if I want to spend money for those stupid things in a few months or if I will leave the TPMS icon blinking in my screen lol

#28 ·
Yeah, set of 4 TPMS are $300 and it's not really a super needed stuff. If you have habit to check your tires from time to time - you can live without TPMS.

On my other car (Honda) I only use TPMS on winter set (like you have now) and I leave TPMS light blinking for summer set. My reasoning was that in winter I want to know which tire needs air without me running around car and checking each tire in freezing conditions. During spring/summer - I can always take my time and it's no big deal. So I'll leave summer set without tpms. Hopefully in a year or two aftermarket set of TPMS will become available for 3rd gen. Murano and it will cost much less.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.