Nissan Murano Forum banner

Sound system. Platinum.

25K views 28 replies 24 participants last post by  JustBrian 
#1 ·
Hi All,
Almost three months ago we bought Murano Platinum, all bells and whistles. Is it really equipped with BOSE sound system?
I can see two front speakers and sub has BOSE labels, what about others?
Where is sub control?
To be honest my Audi standard audio sounds much better, and when I had a loaner with B&O sound was just amazing, so did we get a cheapest low end BOSE or what?

How is your sound ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#2 ·
I have it on my SL 2015.

My only complaint is that I expected a little more thump with the Subwoofer. This is the second 9/11 Bose system, I like it much better than the standard 4 but I can't compare since I haven't been in a Luxury car.

#3 ·
I have it on my SL 2015.

My only complaint is that I expected a little more thump with the Subwoofer. This is the second 9/11 Bose system, I like it much better than the standard 4 but I can't compare since I haven't been in a Luxury car.

Exactly my point. Expected a little more. Especially Platinum has two subs I think.

Looks like just another marketing move. ;((

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Someone corrected me here on this, but there is actually considered "2" subs in the spare tire, and one sub in the front, and then the rest of the speakers are 8 - totalling 11. Counting 2 subs in the spare tire is lame, but as you said - Marketing.

I came from a car where I had a subwoofer and amp put in aftermarket. I listen to rock music primarily - however I found that sound way too much at times. With the Bose system, in the beginning I found it too weak - however - the sound is full and rich, even if it is lacking a little low end from time to time. I'm happy with the system now after tweaking it.

#7 ·
The subwoofer in the trunk has two speakers inside of it, not two separate subs. They advertise speaker count so the subwoofer counts as two speakers. It's not just marketing, it's math.

By the way, all of the Infiniti "Luxury" vehicles have Bose systems in them, so does all of the Cadillacs and a few of the Audi's. But no factory system is going to be able to meet up with aftermarket systems for several reasons. One is that aftermarket systems don't have to meet the packing requirements, so they can put in bigger stuff. Another is that aftermarket systems can be as expensive as someone is willing to pay, a factory system has to meet a very tight cost control point so that the manufacturer can make a decent profit off it. And finally, a manufacturer installed system has to appeal to a broad range of customers, an aftermarket system only has to please one person.

Still I would have liked them to have put 6X9's in the front door like the Maxima has. That would have increased the bass performance.

Reactions: cbording
#8 ·
I have several enclosures with multiple speakers in them and never have been referred to the number of speakers within - but the actual speaker itself. I think it's fair to say that most people will look for the actual speaker to be a speaker count. So that's why it's marketing. if it's not obvious, it's marketing!

#9 ·
Did you ever consider that the Murano is basically a big, open tin can, and that the sound is going to be what it is. Also, sound quality is pretty subjective. What sounds good to you, probably isn't going to sound the same to me, especially since I'm 64 with significant hearing loss in my right ear.

Also, I can tell you, to me, it sounds a lot better than my 1964 transistor radio!

#10 ·
I'm considering on purchasing the 2016 platinum version.
After couple of test drives, I must agree that the bose sound system in the vehicle is somewhat disappointing. My 06 infiniti g35 coupe has bose sytem and is similarly disappointing as well. I'm no audiophile but i know a good sound system when i hear one. The b&o in the audi and the harman kardon in the benz are far better sounding systems.

Audio quality is not a deciding factor for me on purchasing the car but I just wish they didn't put low quality speakers in to attract customers with the "bose" speakers ;(

#12 ·
I'm actually very happy with the Bose system. It's one of the few when I crank it up, the bass stays clean but solid and doesn't vibrate out like crappier systems. People think that if you don't get vibration or feedback on your bass that it's weak. That's a sign of a system that can't handle what you're pumping through it.

Reactions: cbording
#13 ·
I personally love the Bose system in my 2015, comparative to my old 2012 it's leaps and bounds better (honestly the Bose system in the 2010 sounded better than the 12, sound was always muddy).

Low end could be better, and it doesnt match my home system Denon 3212ci with KEF q700's, but overall I like the sound.

#14 ·
If you're an audiophile, don't waste your money on the Bose factory system. You could source a much higher quality set of speakers/subs (and even have it professionally installed) for less.

If you're not an audiophile, the Bose or even the base system is fine.

Personally, I couldn't hear much of a difference between the two and I'm certainly not an audio snob, so I didn't bother with the Bose.

#24 ·
The AC Delco/Bose system in my '94 Camaro was definitely pretty decent. The Bose system in my '07 Maxima sounded like crud. Mostly due to the lack of tune-ability. Replacing the head unit (was a Clarion, replaced with aftermarket Clarion) fixed that.

The Bose in my '11 Murano is "okay". However, one thing has changed...my age. I no longer feel the need to blast my ear drums. So, perception is at least part of the equation.

#17 ·
True, but I think Bose works well in small spaces like an enclosed car it was built for, unlike thier normal marketing hype of satellites filling an entire open space of a living room.

#18 ·
I agree, the Bose Sound system is lacking... I came from an 07 Altima, and I thought the factory sound were better on that car.
However, it was a smaller interior car, so not sure how much affect that has.

I have to have my volume at about 45-50% for the same sound as I use to get on my Altima at "10" which I believe was like 25-30% volume?

#19 ·
I too had an 2008 Altima SL with the Bose system and I guess because I had a trunk you could get some great low end. I also noticed that withthe Altima and the Optima( which has a pretty good infinity system) that if the seats were folded down the sound was very Murano - ish!!!

#20 ·
I definitely notice the Bose system to be a little weak in my 2015 Mo Platinum as well.

I previously had a 2013 Altima with the Bose system (no sub) and my wife currently has a 2012 Mo SL with the Bose system (with sub) and I felt the lows were a bit deeper in both of those, the mids were much more pronounced and the highs a bit crisper. Maybe the speakers just need a bit of a break in period but I don't recall needing much break in with our other 2 Nissan's and I can side by side compare mine with my Wife's and hers definitely sounds a little better.

Don't get me wrong, not going on a complaint tangent here, just agreeing that there might be some merit to this as I noticed this right away while on my way home from the dealer the night I bought the Mo but it still didn't sound bad to me an nothing enough to make me want to bring it back to the dealer to have them look at it, just figured the acoustics of the cabin might be a little different than my Wife's.

#21 ·
There are so many variables to take into account - I think my 04 SE Mo (with sunroof and upgraded stereo/speaker package) had better sound overall, but my 15 Platinum has leather seats which could account for that. You're probably going to get better sound with cloth seats that absorb sound. The HD radio in the 15 is a big boost for radio listening though that the 04 didn't have.

#23 ·
I have a similar situation with my 2003 Infiniti G35 which has the Bose system and the sub-woofer in the back deck is as good as they come. Our 2016 Murano Platinum is not as good BUT the standard radio, FM and to a lessor extend Sirius is much better. One thing I do notice is that the reception via Sirius is not as good as the local FM station. What I mean is I have to crank up the volume on Sirius a little more than on the local FM stations.
Anyway, Potato, potatoe:)

#26 ·
I am a firm believer in upgrading stereos. I will say that my old 2016 Plat Maxima had a great sound compared to my 2017 Murano. The Murano lacks in so many areas. My Max thumped in the front doors alone, which was great. I did put a amp/sub in there and now have the same amp/sub in my Murano.

Since my Murano is a lease, I will not be going the route I generally go with cars but they definitely skimped on the sound system for sure. My sub addition helps but you can still tell the highs and mids are lacking. For the price of a Plat Murano, you would think the stereo would be better.

I know in my buddy's 2017 GMC Denali truck, the stock stereo is AMAZING and I would personally not touch a thing in there if it was my truck. I will most likely be going that route next as I am tired of Nissan and front wheel drive, as I have always had RWD in the past.

#27 ·
My sister has a 2015 Fully loaded Pathfinder SL with BOSE. It sounds twice a good as my 2017.5 Murano Platinum w/ BOSE. It's like a movie theater in hers.... of course she has the headrests DVD system so I am sure it's the surround sound addition that makes it better.

#28 · (Edited)
In my 2017 Murano Platinum, the Bose is great, it all boils down to the bps on the digital audio going to it. In many posts here several people said 320kbps is best and I concur. I ripped the same song numerous times 96kbps, 128kbps, 256kbps and 320kbps and put them on a USB, and there IS a noticeable difference in the Murano and the 320kbps wins hands down. AM/FM well they are what they are, reasonable at best for car audio.
The sound quality of Sirius and XM signals via their satellites (or terrestrial repeaters) is, basically, terrible. The reason is bitrate. The two satellites use different systems, but both have around 4MHz of bandwidth to share amongst ALL the channels broadcast. This means that each music channel winds up getting enough bandwidth to transmit around 48 - 64kb/second of data = way better than FM but not even close to USB MP3 files. In other words, the encoding scheme is a modified AAC algorithm somewhat better than MP3, so this can get you about the sonic equivalent of a 96k MP3 = not impressive.

Using the 320kbps rip, the BOSE 11 speaker system performs very well in all regards, it's no earth shaking Rockford Fosgate gear but impressive nonetheless.

One significant improvement I made that was awesome is, I opened the subwoofer plastic thing on the spare tire, disconnected the 4 wires on the 2 subs and made the mono bridge connection to an external 10" JBL 2 ohm sub in a ported box in the cargo area, and wholly F_ing crap, now the rearview mirror is a vibrating, not like with the Rockford Fosgate mind vibrating, hair drying pounding but way way way better than those 2 little Bose subs, CON is that sub box occupies space in the cargo area, and I can live with that for the pounding bass I got out of that small easy mod.

Anyway, I just wanted to share what I found out in case anyone wants to do the same.

#29 ·
Hi All,
Almost three months ago we bought Murano Platinum, all bells and whistles. Is it really equipped with BOSE sound system?
Where is sub control?
To be honest my Audi standard audio sounds much better, and when I had a loaner with B&O sound was just amazing, so did we get a cheapest low end BOSE or what?

How is your sound ?

Hi All,
Where is sub control?

How is your sound ?

This is my second Nissan, I had a 2018 Rogue SL Platinum and now a 2020 Murano SL Platinum and I 100% agree, the Bose system is lacking. But I turn the bass up and treble mid range and it does the trick. I find the audio is crisp, not window rattling. I suppose I just got used to it haha.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.