Nissan Murano Forum banner

First major snow - AWD update

13K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  Deimatt 
#1 ·
So,

Northern IL had it's first major snow storm of 2015 winter season. In our area we got 14-15 inches of snow Fri through Sat afternoon.

So this was my first experience with my Murano and SNOW :laugh:

Well, I had read several reviews that were mixed as far as awd/off road capability so I was really unsure what to expect.

WOW, it performed perfectly, stable as a rock, amazing traction in massive snow 7-8 inches (was plowed once) on the road with drifts of 12-14 inches. (most roads were still relatively un-plowed when I had to pick my daughter up from work and take her to work early Sat Morning). Still no issues at all.

I was more confident than I expected in any vehicle in that type of weather. Even had a couple chances to practice emergency braking to get a feel for how the ABS and Traction control work in a safe environment.

Overall, a few minor small issues to date on my Murano, all of which have been addressed quickly by the dealer, I am very happy with my SL w/Tech AWD so far.

Lastly, in the snow I did have the radar assembly for the forward collision detection system get covered by wet snow and throw and error and go off-line, but I was not planning to use that in poor weather anyway.

PS.. using 18" stock Michelin's with only 3500 miles so far so still great tread life.

See less See more
#2 ·
I caught the same storm in Southeast Michigan and we ended up with a foot of snow in my area so I took mine out for a test spin as well. It handled great. I received the same error message for tor the forward radar but that was expected. I have almost 15K on my 20" tires and it continues to drive like new. Saw more than the usual amount of people unprepared for winter but I just drove around them.

I did have an issue with the wipers. I was not able to get them to "stick up" when I turned the engine off as I was able to do in my 2010 Maxima. Whenever I shut the engine down they would go back down to the standard starting position. I liked having them stick up because it makes it easier to clean the wipers and it makes it easier to lift them off the glass without having to lean over the hood. I also liked the remote start but didn't play with it enough to see if the heater and defroster could be set to come on with the remote. I believe I've read here that they don't. But winters just starting, plenty of time for further testing.

#5 ·
I also liked the remote start but didn't play with it enough to see if the heater and defroster could be set to come on with the remote. I believe I've read here that they don't. But winters just starting, plenty of time for further testing.
They do, it seems to be temperature dependent. I often see the steering wheel heat light on, and lines from the defrost visible on the rear window. It also appears to crank the fan up to defrost the windshield. Unfortunately, all of it turns off when you push the start button, so you have to reselect everything.

#3 ·
Similar issues I also had (drove through the same storm but closer to the Illinois northern border). Driving was stable and felt extremely in control. Did a few hard brakes at 40 MPH on a straight part of my local road. Murano stopped with minimal slippage.

Kind of annoyed that they wouldn't have thought of a way to defrost the sensors so snow doesn't cover it up.

#6 ·
I also live in northern Illinois and took my 2015 SL AWD out for a test on Saturday morning before the plows came though. I was not expecting the Michelin tires to be so good in the snow. I read the reviews of these tires on TireRack.com and they were pretty bad. So now we will see how they do on ice soon.

After testing the Murano I took out my Forester with Michelin X-Ice3 winter tires for a test dive. Well it blew the Murano away, but I knew it would. Can't beat dedicated winter tires on a Subaru.

As for the Radar, on Friday night as the snow was just starting and not even covering the road yet I was surprised to get the shut off warning. I stopped to clean off the sensor but it was just wet with very little snow. I cleaned it off but it would not reset until the next day after sitting in the garage overnight.

I was sure I would be purchasing winter tires for the Murano, so I am pleased I don't have to this year at least. We will see how they do when warn down some.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free Apppic of had to remove clips

#7 ·
Could you still use your cruise control if that thing was covered in snow? Not that you would want to use cruise control while driving in snow..just wondering if I taped it up if it would de active cruise all together. Just not a fan of that option.

#9 ·
I would think that it would just go back to being a regular cruise control without the radar feedback. But of course we will have to test that theory. Perhaps it gives you another warning message when you engage the cruise warning you of imminent death.

#10 ·
It will disengage the cruise if you have it on when the sensor gets covered (my cruise control turned off and a little sign popped up with manual braking will need to be applied). However, I could turn the cruise control on again if I wanted and as others have mentioned it worked like a standard cruise control without any sensors enabled.

#13 ·
I figured that it would disengage the radar - when I saw where it was located compared to other cars - it's going to be off more than on in the winter with the snow we get here. Other manufacturers are placing it behind the rearview mirror and although not perfect, I can imagine with the heat hitting the window - you have a better chance of clearing it up without stopping!

#15 ·
I'm thinking about a 2015 Murano (well more than likely a 2016 to hope that they have carplay/android auto).

Anyway, the rear tailights are sculpted "funky" and I noticed upon closer inspection that they wrap around the rear window and kinda "just out".

With the snow that you got, did you find that the snow tends to pile up upon the tailights, thus obscuring some rear visibility?

#16 ·
I just had couple of snow days and so far there is no snow build up on rear taillights. However, since moonroof is made out of glass - ice gets stuck on it like on windshield and it takes a long time until ti will melt (if ever). Then crackling sounds starts during melt up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.