Nissan Murano Forum banner

Horrible nav system and dirt roads

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Hemi2 
#1 ·
So I decided to go hiking and stay at a campground near Cooper's Rock, WV a couple of weeks ago. I had the address of the campground in my nav system, and looked at the turn list of the route. It was taking an unexpected route, but I figured it would still get me there, and it did....

However, you can take major interstates almost the entire way there, and then less than a mile of local paved two lane roads to the campground. This freaking nav system took me on miles of back roads, and then the final two miles on a DIRT road into the WV forest. If you've ever seen the move Wrong Turn, I thought I was going to live it!

After finally arriving at the campground, I searched for a way to avoid dirt roads, like I've seen on every other GPS I've owned. Couldn't find it. Can anyone else find it?

Nissan needs to update this nav system in the worst way! It's absolutely horrible. It has now taken me down miles of dirt roads, side streets and alleys, as well as telling me to turn the wrong way down one way streets, and once telling me to turn down a public stairway!! For as nice as the rest of the vehicle is, this nav system is a complete embarrassment.

#2 ·
I am not where I can check settings but I never have this happen. It always seems to take the most direct route and doesn't shoot me down side streets in place of highways.

Maybe their NAV system is bad for your area?

Feel for ya though good luck!

#4 ·
Maybe their NAV system is bad for your area?
I dunno. I live in Pittsburgh, so it's not like I'm off the grid. heheh

Seriously, though, even driving around downtown Pittsburgh, if I didn't live here and know the streets, this thing would have me lost. In one area of town it tries to take me off of the Crosstown Blvd, through downtown to get to Route 279. Meanwhile, Crosstown Blvd is in existence to get you on 279 WITHOUT taking you through downtown!! It's really ridiculous.

It gets me where I need to go, but rarely does it do so without some weird route. I like when it takes me off a main road, through an alley, just to get back on the main road I was just on. That's my favorite! :bonk:

#3 ·
I've noticed the car seems to make poor choices when it involves roads it does not know the speed limit for... I've also had issues navigating to camping/hiking spots with it, but honestly I had the same issues with a Garmin in my previous car.

#7 ·
So I decided to go hiking and stay at a campground near Cooper's Rock, WV a couple of weeks ago. I had the address of the campground in my nav system, and looked at the turn list of the route. It was taking an unexpected route, but I figured it would still get me there, and it did....
From Pittsburgh, get on I-79 to I-68. Go east and get off at the Cooper's Rock exit. Follow the signs to the campground. In the meantime, buy a Garmin with Lifetime maps, and you should be good to go.

This whole GPS thing keeps me from buying a Platinum. I know Nissan's GPS sucks, and my Garmin is tweaked the way i want it. My 2012 SL doesn't have nav and I really don't want it in my new car.

#8 ·
I have nav in all my vehicles & I have yet to find one I really like? Even the one in my 2014 Jeep Overland, is just OK. I've used the portable units for years & I really like those a lot better! I mounted my Garmin 3597 in the Murano (also use it in my Xterra) & I love it! It's much sharper, faster, easier to use, and the voice directions is much clearer! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.