Nissan Murano Forum banner

New member: picked up a black 2015 SL AWD today

4K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  Trappistmonk 
#1 ·
After owning a 2012 S AWD and a 2014 S AWD, we just picked up a new 2015 SL AWD. It's the first time we're paying for all the bells and whistles, so I'm hoping we'll like the convenience of them. I definitely like the auto on/off for the headlights. I never understood why the S version did not have this.

My first impressions after driving it for 30 miles.
- suspension is softer than the 2nd gen Murano
- Fuel consumption has improved
- Car is quiet
- I like the surround view

I'm not that impressed with the quality of the leather they used, and I do not find the Bose system to big a big improvement over the base system, if an improvement at all.

Some questions I have:
- is there no AWD lock button anymore like in the '14's?
- Can you change the color of the footwell/ambient lighting?
- I have the 13 - 14 maps, but the dealer will reimburse me when I order the new maps. I can't order this via the website, has anyone done this?

I have to confess, that this is my wife's car, so I only drive it occasionally.

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome!

- is there no AWD lock button anymore like in the '14's?
-----> Correct. It's intelligent AWD and comes on faster than the blink of an eye when required.

- Can you change the color of the footwell/ambient lighting?
-----> No.

- I have the 13 - 14 maps, but the dealer will reimburse me when I order the new maps. I can't order this via the website, has anyone done this?
------> There are varying reports of different versions of maps out there, but you would have the latest. I think they have new versions once a year through the dealer.

#4 ·
Here she is, I had to clay the hood and roof and applied a first layer of wax to the hood, bumpers and fenders. More detail work to follow. I'm one of these guys that takes delivery of the car as is and asks the dealer not to wash if for delivery.

Still thinking of adding a paint protection film aka clearbra to the car, but not sure I want to spend the $600 to keep it nice for the next owner in 1or 2 years.

After washing and claying it, I must say that the '14 we had had a better production quality and paint.

Attachments

#7 ·
Congrats!

Great job with detailing her.

Not that I get my cars serviced at dealerships but when I got two free oil changes a while back on my first car I made a mistake taking their complimentary wash.

SHIFT_rose gold one twenty eight

#8 ·
Did you get a paint protection film installed?

The detail is not done, I just did the hood with wax. I will redo the whip car with a sealer and after that put two layers of wax on it. It's my wife's car, but I like our vehicles clean. That also means no eating or drinking in our cars ;-)

#15 ·
I also have a black 2015 SL. Here's how I prepared mine for the winter in Pittsburgh.

• Wash and dry the vehicle
  • Clay bar
  • Then I do two applications of Chemical Guys Blacklight radiant glaze. This does a nice job in hiding some of the swirls and fine scratches you see in the finish, while really producing a nice deep shine. It's specifically designed for black cars, but you can use it on any color. Just seems to have better visual results on darker colors.
  • After the Blacklight, I do two applications of Chemical Guys JetSeal sealer. This stuff is great! It seals in the shine, and provides protection for up to 12 months.

If you have never done the clay bar, don't be afraid! It's super easy, and the difference in the finish is astounding! It seriously makes the finish as smooth as glass. It's almost effortless to do it. For me, it just takes a little time (way more than 10 min). Totally worth it, though! Look up some videos on YouTube. There are a ton that show you how to do it. Once you do it, and see how easy it is, while giving you great results, you'll be mad that you never did it before! heheh :)

After I was done with the detailing, I took it up the street to fill up the gas tank. When I was driving back, and putting it in the garage, my neighbor said, "Your car looks great! I mean, I saw it driving down the road and I told my wife, 'they don't even look that good coming off the lot brand new!'"

As far a paint chips go, someone on here recommended Doctor Color Chip to me one time. That stuff is the best!! Little chips really stand out on a black car, and that stuff fixes/hides them in a hurry. Definitely recommend that stuff as well!

Good luck!
Thanks for the easy advice :)

I will doing mine soon. I'll get a before and after picture for you and see if you can tell the difference. It's actually a pearl white. Like you said I don't see using the JetSeal sealer. I'll see what else they have. Chemical guys... Never hear of it? I'll check them out as well. I do see myself using the Doctor Color Chip although I have some of the factory touch up paint. Those little chips and scratches on the nose really bug me after a good wash! :banghead:

#16 ·
Chemical Guys has a White Light product for white and light colored cars. Looks like it's on sale today as well. Check it out. They have clay bar kits as well, so you might want to check that out too. If you have questions about how to use their products, they have tons of videos on YouTube. I've used a bunch of their products and always had good results.

I've used the factory touch up paint, and i can never get it to go on without it being a blob of a mess. Doctor Color Chip solves that problem. Really great product!

#17 ·
Just ordered the paint protection film kit. Bumpers, half hood and fenders, mirrors, rear bumper and door edges ... I cheated out and went for the vendor that I also used for our '14 Murano. At that time the installation of the front bumper PPF failed, I hope I will be more patient / skilled this time. The hood, door edges mirror and rear bumper should be easy (that means half a day of work)

Full kit was $90. Installing this is not easy and your car needs to be very clean. I hope to be able to do this this weekend.

I could not bring myself to pay someone $600 to do this for the Murano. Lots of Trappist beer will be needed for this task.

#18 ·
Week 1 of ownership, my wife drove it for the majority of the 650 miles we put on the car this week. I drove it 50 miles or so and think Nissan lost the dynamic driving character of the previous gen. The car is comfortable, but drives more like a boat. Avg fuel economy is 22.5 mpg, with an eco score of 63. The fit and finish is not at the level the made in Japan Muranos were and the gap at the passengers side where the dashboard trim meets the door trim irritates me.

The new tech like the 360 camera and navigation work great, the car is very comfortable to drive.

I spent 2 hours washing it today and have ordered a full set of clearbra urethane for $90 on eBay. The install will be a PITA, but I will attempt it most likely next weekend. Once the clearbra is on, the real detailing begins with Duragloss Polish and wax. Once this is done, I will take some better pictures with my dslr and post them as well.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.