Nissan Murano Forum banner

Rear hatch open/close issue

36K views 33 replies 12 participants last post by  Maritimer555 
#1 ·
So this just started the other day. When I use the button on the hatch to open it, it just clicks open, but doesn't raised up. So I manually lift the hatch to get it all the way open. Then I hit the button to close the hatch and nothing happens. I tried to use the key fob to close it, and nothing happens.

I know I need a new battery in my key fob. Is it possible that this is ALL a symptom of a low battery in the intellikey? It doesn't seem like it should be, but who knows? Has anyone else had a similar issue?

#7 ·
Checked the glove box button, and it was ON. Tried to adjust where it should open to, and that didn't work.

It's weird. Even if I try to open it via the button on the dashboard, it pops the latch, but doesn't raise the hatch at all. Definitely gonna have the dealer look at it this weekend.

#13 ·
They said when they hooked it up to the computer it looked like there were some codes, or something, in there that made them think that the hatch may have tried to close once, but something was in the way so it popped back open. For some reason it stayed in its computer that something is in the way, so it wouldn't open or close with the buttons. I'm sure I didn't explain it correctly, but it was something along those lines. They just cleared out the codes, or whatever they are, and it works perfectly now.

#18 ·
On our 2014 Durango, we traded in on the Murano, if you started the vehicle while the door was in motion, it would stop briefly then continue on its path to either open or close once the engine was started. It's weird that the door on your Murano just stopped and the buttons wouldn't work.

#23 ·
It's funny, but one dealership is able to fix it easily, and the other wanted to replace the mechanism, which would cost a few hundred. I told the one to hold off on ordering the part, as I was going to check with the other one that fixed it before. Then when I got home, I tested it and it was suddenly working!! I realized that they had cleaned my battery connections, so I believe that all you need to do is disconnect the battery for a little bit, and it will work again. It's weird that it can even happen, but at least I know what to do to fix it myself now. :)

#25 ·
I wouldn't be too sure about the fix. It might be temporary. I've been dealing with this issue for months. The liftgate will decide to stop operating whenever it feels like. The dealer has replaced the actuator and reset the control module about 3 times now. It keeps happening. Quick trick is to re-seat the 40-40-40 fuse block in the engine bay, but that's a temporary fix. I'm not going to sit in the parking lot of a grocery store re-seating the damn fuse block every time it happens. I'm trying to get Nissan to either buy it back or find a permanent fix.

#26 ·
My liftgate stopped working as well. It has been a a week or so. Yesterday I decided to look in the fuse box under the hood. I removed all the fuses and tested them. They were all good. One of them was the big 40/40/40 fuse. Next day my wife said the lift gate is working. Could that of temporarily fixed it? I know disconnecting the battery didn't. I did that the night it stopped working. Left it unplugged for about 5 min. Didn't help.

#27 ·
Yes it’s a temp fix. It will stop working again in a few days or a couple weeks. Sometimes you have to manually open (using a screwdriver in the slots from the inside of the trunk) and shut it and then reseat the 40-40-40 fuse. It’s absolutely ridiculous that they can’t figure it out.

#29 ·
If your first visit was within 12k, you might be good. If not, I would still call nissan consumer affairs number. They’re actually pretty helpful. It’s my 2nd claim on the car actually. I first took a cash settlement for a separate issue but I called back for the trunk issue and they took my first claim into consideration and I’ll find out Friday what the buyback figure is. I should’ve took the first deal but oh well. Thought I could get by but this trunk issue and head unit issue popped up.

#34 ·
I’m driving a 2016 and had it at the dealer this week for a similar issue. I’m beyond warranty so I asked them diagnose first and give me a quote to fix. My issue is the open close button on lift gate does Not work. The button inside car as well as remote work and gate responds accordingly. They told me to come back as they ran out of time to determine the cause.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.