Nissan Murano Forum banner

Morimoto 35W HID kit

32K views 138 replies 22 participants last post by  SK GT 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, I am a new member and just pick up my SL a few days ago. We are thinking of purchasing a 35W HID kit. Will there be a huge difference in brightness vs stock halogen.

#3 ·
If you want the best brightness/crisp combo stick to 5000K color anything else above that is blueish and it affects it's luminance.

FYI daylight is 4300K

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Yes, you are right! I have 3 vehicles with HID lights & the difference from halogen is night & day, literally! Swapping to HID's now is soooooo much cheaper than it used to be! It really is a no brainer! :awais:

#8 ·
Hello. First post here. We just picked my wife up a 15 SL and I was interesting in putting HIDs in for the headlights.

A: Do I need H11 or H11B bulbs?

B: Can I use 55w ballast for the headlights? Or is 35w recommended?

C: Would 5000k or 6000k better match the LED running lights/DRLs?

Thanks in advance.

SK

#9 ·
Hello. First post here. We just picked my wife up a 15 SL and I was interesting in putting HIDs in for the headlights.
A: Do I need H11 or H11B bulbs?
B: Can I use 55w ballast for the headlights? Or is 35w recommended?
C: Would 5000k or 6000k better match the LED running lights/DRLs?
Thanks in advance. SK
Here is the answer to all your questions:

http://www.xenondepot.com/XenonDepot-HID-kits-s/250.htm

#18 ·
Is the canbus really required for the 2015 Murano? I see on the site it says yes if you have daytime running lights but I think that refers to your car using the headlights as drl's.

#19 ·
I ran into that question when I was upgrading headlights on my Prius. I did read somewhere that depending on a vehicles electrical system, some will experience flickering without the canbus. That is because the light functions are monitored so a new HID system to the car may look like a bad bulb so it would pulsate the voltage to try to get it going again. Same is true when headlights are being used as DTRLs. I don't think light bulbs are monitored on 2015 Murano, and headlights are not used for DTRL so canbus HID should not be needed.

#21 ·
I like this kit. Seems really well designed. My only question is should I go with the 5000k or the 6500 to best match the LED DRLs?

#22 ·
6500 tends to have a blue tint to it but 5000 will be closer to white. And no, you should not be voiding your warranty because you are not modifying any part of the car. This kit simply plugs into the light socket and uses even less power than the original lights!

#23 ·
I emailed the folks at xenon depot asking if I could get a copy of the installation instructions. I keep reading about having to run a wire back to the battery and so on. I'd just like to know what's involved. Haven't heard back as of yet.

#24 ·
There are usually two ways to install these kits. One is to install a relay to bypass vehicle wiring system. In this setup you need a wire from battery to the relay. OE light switch operates the relay and relay runs the balast and balast runs the lights.

Second method is more straight forward and does not use a relay. Balast plugs directly into the OE light bulb socket so OE light switch operates the balast and balast runs the lights. No relays, and no battery connection.

Some prefer the first method because they think it puts less load on the car wiring. I happen to disagree with that reasoning. Halogen bulbs use somewhere between 50 to 65 watts of power. Most balasts require around 35 watts to run the lights (after the initial startup which takes a split second - the flash that you see) so in my book, HID light puts less load on the car wiring and therefore no relay should be required.

Disclaimer: above is only my opinion and is not meant to be a "how to do" or any form of advice.

#29 ·
After reading the pdf of the instructions, it is an all purpose manual that covers all types they sell. Tye Xtreme hid instructions have the separate ground and positive lead that goes to the battery. I would have preferred the more plug and play option. Unfortunately I can't figure out how to upload the pdf of the instructions. They sell the volt brand hid kit that is more plug and play but it doesn't come in 5000k lamp and seems less durable.

#32 ·
From what I've read, it seems that it isn't always necessary to use the relay and wire the lamps directly to the battery but it's not a bad idea to do it as an extra safeguard.

#33 ·
#34 ·
Just ordered a set of the Xtreme HID 5000k along with a set of Cree 5000k LED fog light bulbs to match. Got $25 off the HIDs with the TN code and another 10% off of the fog lights. Rep from Xenon Depot said that due to the low start up draw, it wasn't necessary to use the relay set up that comes with the Xtreme HIDs. I'm okay with that if they say so. Still seems odd that they would include them if not needed...

#35 ·
Ok, I installed my 5000k Xtreme HID kit from Xenon Depot along with a set of 5000k Cree LED fog lights over the weekend. I haven't had a chance to try them out at night yet. On the advice from the reps at XD, I installed without using the relay that wires the lights back to the battery. One thing I noticed on my ride in to work this morning was that with the headlights and fogs set to the auto setting, they never shut off even though it was plenty light outside. I'll give the folks at XD a call a bit later to see what they have to say about that unless somebody here in the forum has any ideas. One thing I'll say is that even in daylight, the lights are very bright when about 10 feet from my white garage door. At some point I'll try to get a decent photo of the lights, fogs and DRLs at night.

#37 ·
Hi Green Dragon. After you installed your Xtreme HID kit, does your automatic setting on your lights still function correctly? Also, did you use the relays or go direct using the factory connection?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.