2015 Murano Nissan Connect, NAV updates, etc.. - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 71 Old 01-13-2016, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
2015 Murano Nissan Connect, NAV updates, etc..

Just wondering if there is an issue with the 2015 Murano Head End unit itself. Nissan Connect is crippled, there Murano is the only model without a 2016 year map update..... Perhaps there is a larger issue with this unit than Nissan will admit

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 Old 01-13-2016, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
The map isn't out of date just because it says 2014. It's the version number that determines whether the map is up to date or not.

As for NissanConnect, I recieved off the record information from a reliable source that NissanConnect is going away and that Nissan will be going with Apple CarPlay. I asked if NissanConnect was ever going to be fixed for the Murano and the answer was never. The source would not comment on MY16 Murano.

MY15 Nissan Murano AWD Platinum in Pearl White and Tan interior with 20" Rims.
post #3 of 71 Old 01-13-2016, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the information on the Nissan Connect non-features.... As for the Map, its missing interstate exits that have been around for 2 years. My 2009 Maxima that I traded in had a more recent(correct) map than the brand new 2015 Murano.

Nissan Navigation website says I have the most recent map for this model year car. I also called them and gave them the version number. Nissan Navigation says that there is no further information on a release for this model....

post #4 of 71 Old 01-15-2016, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaibab View Post
Thanks for the information on the Nissan Connect non-features.... As for the Map, its missing interstate exits that have been around for 2 years. My 2009 Maxima that I traded in had a more recent(correct) map than the brand new 2015 Murano.

Nissan Navigation website says I have the most recent map for this model year car. I also called them and gave them the version number. Nissan Navigation says that there is no further information on a release for this model....
Which exits are you missing? I can check on it and talk to some people.

post #5 of 71 Old 01-20-2016, 10:43 AM

Where did you go? Get off at the wrong exit?

post #6 of 71 Old 01-21-2016, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Garage
I talked to my dealer two weeks ago and said they don't stock the NAV SD cards. They gave me the 800 number and website to make an order if necessary. FYI, there is not update yet for the 2015 Murano (even though my SD card says 2014 on it).

Here are the links:

Nissan Navigation Map Updates | Home | HERE

2016 Nissan and Infiniti Map Updates Now Available | Navigation.com

2015 Murano SL - Magnetic Black Metallic with Mocha Leather
Illuminated kick plates / Draw-Tite Class III hitch
post #7 of 71 Old 01-22-2016, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTN_Ranger View Post
FYI, there is not update yet for the 2015 Murano (even though my SD card says 2014 on it).
]
As I mentioned above, the year in the file name does not determine if your map is up to date or not, it's the version number. Not sure why people get fixated on this, surely most people are aware that software gets updated with new versions without changing the original title. Anyone updated iTunes or Google Maps and expected a name change? How do you know you have the latest version? If you keep changing the title name then software developers can get confused, thus the version number tracks the update.
Voodoobilly likes this.

post #8 of 71 Old 01-22-2016, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northof8mile View Post
As I mentioned above, the year in the file name does not determine if your map is up to date or not, it's the version number. Not sure why people get fixated on this, surely most people are aware that software gets updated with new versions without changing the original title. Anyone updated iTunes or Google Maps and expected a name change? How do you know you have the latest version? If you keep changing the title name then software developers can get confused, thus the version number tracks the update.
I understand the Nissan speak for saying that a '14 map is not out of date, I'm just not buying it.
The comparison with iTunes or Google maps does not make sense, they do update their versions. Point is that we still have the '14 maps and they are outdated.

It makes more sense to compare to the other nissan product lines. All of those have '15 maps. It is just the Murano that is lagging behind.

Nissan better gets working on the whole connect thing and start delivering on its promises. This is just not acceptable.
post #9 of 71 Old 01-22-2016, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trappistmonk View Post
I understand the Nissan speak for saying that a '14 map is not out of date, I'm just not buying it.
The comparison with iTunes or Google maps does not make sense, they do update their versions. Point is that we still have the '14 maps and they are outdated.

It makes more sense to compare to the other nissan product lines. All of those have '15 maps. It is just the Murano that is lagging behind.

Nissan better gets working on the whole connect thing and start delivering on its promises. This is just not acceptable.
Maps are basically tied to the head unit version. The Murano shares a head unit with I believe the Rouge that launched in 2014. Maxima has a newer head unit. When Maxima goes into production next year it's maps will still say 2015 but have an updated version.

I guess they could change the title to say 2015, but then people would accuse them of trying to hide something. So software development for the Murano maps started in 2014 and they have made updated versions since then. Development that was separate from the Maxima. Meh, all manufacturers do that wheter you know it or not.
Voodoobilly likes this.

post #10 of 71 Old 01-22-2016, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Maps are basically tied to the head unit version. The Murano shares a head unit with I believe the Rouge that launched in 2014. Maxima has a newer head unit. When Maxima goes into production next year it's maps will still say 2015 but have an updated version.

I guess they could change the title to say 2015, but then people would accuse them of trying to hide something. So software development for the Murano maps started in 2014 and they have made updated versions since then. Development that was separate from the Maxima. Meh, all manufacturers do that wheter you know it or not.
so what is the latest version and how can we see that we have it?
post #11 of 71 Old 01-22-2016, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

I see that the 2014 & 2015 Rogue have new map updates. Perhaps the 2015 Murano will come out in a few months.
post #12 of 71 Old 01-25-2016, 08:13 AM

If you bought your car new it has the latest map version, Nissan hasn't released any updates to the Murano maps yet. I've had Nissans with maps since 2004 and generally they are pretty consistent about updating the maps every 12-15 months. It's not free and I've never paid for an update because they want something like $175 to do so.

But as I've mentioned in other threads, the maps suck and I don't use them. I use my phone and google to do all of my navigation because I feel the maps are the worst feature on the car. They are basically 2008 technology in a 2015 car, pretty dreadful and non-functional as far as I'm concerned.

post #13 of 71 Old 01-25-2016, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
..... the maps suck and I don't use them. I use my phone and google to do all of my navigation because I feel the maps are the worst feature on the car. They are basically 2008 technology in a 2015 car, pretty dreadful and non-functional as far as I'm concerned.
If the source for the map info is Navteq, why are these maps inferior to others that similarly use Navteq?
post #14 of 71 Old 01-25-2016, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffCharger View Post
If the source for the map info is Navteq, was are these maps inferior to others that similarly use Navteq?
Nope, these maps are no better or worst than what was used in my 2010 Maxima. That's the point, I would expect better navi functionality in 2015 than I had in 2010. And charging over a $100 for updates is just insulting.

post #15 of 71 Old 01-25-2016, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Nope, these maps are no better or worst than what was used in my 2010 Maxima. That's the point, I would expect better navi functionality in 2015 than I had in 2010. And charging over a $100 for updates is just insulting.
OK - I agree that charging >$100 for map updates is crazy, but it's similar to other car manufacturers. It bugs me when I find data that's out of date. I do like the integration of the nav with the other car functionality.

I was wondering if you believed that Nissan systems weren't as advanced or up to date as other manufacturers.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: