Nissan Murano Forum banner

Driving with liftgate open, constant warning sound.

29K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Grey1 
#1 ·
Recently I had to bring some 2x4s and plywood from Home depot and unfortunately plywood was extending 12 inch further than rear bumper of the car, so I had to drive with liftgate slightly open to make it home with full length of material.
Thats when I discovered that Nissan bothered to install warning system, which makes a constand beeeeepppp sound whenever car is in motion that is heard all over the street, I guess it's using same beeper as for door lock sound.
Im sure anyone would find it annoying if they had to transport an oversized object.
Did anyone come accross a way to somehow disable this beep? Im thinking the only way is to actually unplug this beeper. Any toughts on where it might be located?

Cheers
Senya

#4 ·
The carbon monoxide danger is pretty serious, would probably be a liability issue these days without a tailgate open alarm.

I do wish the back window was able to open like a 2nd gen CRV to pass long boards/objects through, for shirt trips to the hardware store.

#6 ·
Im well aware of CO dangers, and done this type of transportation with cars, vans, etc. for many years without any issues. I'm sure Nissan implemented this warning system to protect itself from possible lawsuits.

Now this is important stuff, but it still doesn't anwser my question :(

I know that previous generation of Murano had similar beeper issue when tailgate was being operated it would make a big deal out of it and beep trough out opening and closing process. So a number of people went to disable beeper that was located under back bumper. I wonder if its located under back bumper as well, will have to find out in the spring.

#7 ·
I don't know of any way to disable the beeper unless you can find a fuse that will kill that circuit - and I'm not sure it won't kill a lot of other stuff.

If you can find the beeper, you may be able to remove it temporarily. Or - if you can find the switch that activates it, you may be able to trick the switch into thinking its closed. That's sometimes pretty simple.

I agree the Murano isn't really designed for this, but for heaven's sake, hauling a few pieces of 8' lumber shouldn't be a problem.

Failing everything else, how about earplugs? ;-)

#8 ·
Roof Rack...

For long boards and other similar stuff (PVC pipe, etc.) I used the cross bars on my last SUV to bungee/tie down the load to bring it home from the DIY. Bought cross-bars for the Mo for the same reason.

Without cross-bars, I made a pair of 2x4's that clamped down by "J-bolts" on the side rails to do the same thing. Made wide enough, I carried a tin boat on them, and took them off when done.

#9 ·
Senya, you can always try this. Open the tailgate all the way. Then using something, move the latch to the lock position. I just did it in my garage and when I did it the light on my dash that said it was open went off. So I believe that may trick the system in thinking it's closed.

Then in order to release the lock mechanism , manually lower the tailgate all the way and press the button on your remote to open. You will hear it unlatch.

Attachments

#11 ·
I need help with this issue

my wife drove the murano for 10 feet with liftgate open. Now the Power Liftgate wont open even if i use the key or button on the liftgate.

I have to operate it manually.

What is even worse is that the Constant Warning Sound whenever i am driving the car. I ensured that all the doors and liftgate are locked. No warning signs on the panel, but beeper wont shut up.. :crying:

ANY INSIGHTS..??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.