Android Head Unit install - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

 6Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 143 Old 05-02-2016, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 326
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Android Head Unit install

Hello all,

I just got my new android head unit that I purchased from Ali Express, I install it and my initial impression are wow!!!! So much better than the stock head unit. The sound clarity and level is like day and night when compared to the stock head unit. It brought out loud bass and clear highs that I could not hear with the stock head unit.

Installation was straight forward, just plug in 2 cables on the back of the unit start the car, they provided all the cables that you need.

The unit is well made, I am impressed with the quality, nice screen, high resolution, crisp images and fonts.

I tried using the stock GPS cable, but when I plugged it in, I could not get a good GPS signal, so I plugged in the GPS receiver they provided.

I used the bluetooth, both audio and phone and quality was very good.

The radio was able to tune in into stations that the stock radio would miss and quality was way superior

2 issues I have encountered so far:

1- The steering wheel control do not work, not sure why. I contacted the seller and waiting on a response.

2- My engine light came on after I install the unit, and I do not know how to reset it or turn it off.

I just did a quick and dirty test, I will run more test this weekend and post a more detailed review. I am heading to NJ tomorrow, so I will be able to test the GPS navigation.

I could not find instructions on how to remove the head hunit on the 2015 nissan murano online, so I decided to figure it out myself. It wasn't hard, just need to be patient, I lost 3 screws, they all fell in the compartment below.

I can post detailed instructions on how to remove the head unit if you guys are interested.

I am going to install a backup camera next ( I have an eye on the Boyo 375HD).

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Quad-...548646527.html

Stay tune for more....

BTW: I was outside working on the car, when all of a sudden a thunderstorm hit, hails started falling down, it was like the car was being hit by rocks. I quickly drove back to my garage and look for any damage. Luckily, the car held very well, I could not see any damages to the body of the car, paint scratches or dents. I will do a more thorough inspection this weekend when I wash the car. Hopefully, my insurance Geico will cover it if I see any damages.

Here are some install pic... I took a video, but need to upload it to youtube later:
( I did not remove the plastic wrap on the screen )









You need this kind of screwdriver to remove the stock radio:




Engine light came on after I install the new unit:




assad is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 143 Old 05-02-2016, 08:43 PM
Registered User
 
HDTVsportsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Well....this is interesting and possibly worth looking into. One concern for me is any thing that goes wrong and they dealer will blame the head unit replacement.


Good job, keep us informed.

Always Smell it First.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'15 Murano SL, Black and Black w/Tech.
HDTVsportsfan is offline  
post #3 of 143 Old 05-02-2016, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 326
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVsportsfan View Post
Well....this is interesting and possibly worth looking into. One concern for me is any thing that goes wrong and they dealer will blame the head unit replacement.


Good job, keep us informed.
You are so right!!!

Last time I took my car to the dealer and told him that I am planning on installing LED headlight, he told me that he would not look at the car unless I put the original halogen back.

I am very experienced when it comes to electronic, so it's not like I don't know what I am doing.
assad is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 143 Old 05-02-2016, 09:03 PM
Registered User
 
HDTVsportsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
If the dealer is giving you grief about the headlights then you need to find a new dealer and tell the current one to take a hike. I saw that you posted that a couple of weeks ago.


Do you have a SV, SL, or platinum? Does the surround cameras work? So many questions. LOL


Again, good job tho. Interesting to see how this works for you as the weeks go by. One thing I noticed about the seller was they have only had the store sine late 2015. Hopefully that won't be a problem for you. Time zone difference for support could be a pain as well. Trade offs I guess.


Engine light...possibly airbag related?

Always Smell it First.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'15 Murano SL, Black and Black w/Tech.
HDTVsportsfan is offline  
post #5 of 143 Old 05-02-2016, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 326
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVsportsfan View Post
If the dealer is giving you grief about the headlights then you need to find a new dealer and tell the current one to take a hike. I saw that you posted that a couple of weeks ago.


Do you have a SV, SL, or platinum? Does the surround cameras work? So many questions. LOL


Again, good job tho. Interesting to see how this works for you as the weeks go by. One thing I noticed about the seller was they have only had the store sine late 2015. Hopefully that won't be a problem for you. Time zone difference for support could be a pain as well. Trade offs I guess.


Engine light...possibly airbag related?
Hi HDTVsportsfan,

I have the SV, no Bose, I heard that the Bose system was so tightly integrated into the car, so it might be harder to put an aftermarket unit if you have the Bose system.

About the seller support, I just got an answer from my question about the steering wheel control.
Also delivery was about 2 weeks, very well packed. I research the manufacturer of the unit and they make head unit for luxury car such as mercedes, Range Rover, etc... SO far I am satisfied with the unit and their support

Here is the email I got back, although their english is not the best, but I can understand:



Glad you mentionned it, but I did not even check the backup camera. I wasn't happy with the original backup camera anyway, I am planning on replacing it. I saw 2 cables labelled backup camera, and backup power.
assad is online now  
post #6 of 143 Old 05-02-2016, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 326
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Here is the video demo of the radio.

I was inside a garage and as you can see reception was excellent, there are some station I could not get with the stock radio.

Keep in mind, that on this video, I still had the plastic wrap on the screen, so it will be much brighter when I take it off.

https://youtu.be/7qf8FHIbkF0
assad is online now  
post #7 of 143 Old 05-03-2016, 02:44 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 470
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Nice, but:
1. Issues with dealer is a no go for me and I can't travel to another city to find another dealer
2. Engine light is a major issue and if it's airbag related it's even worse then
3. Numerous issues with steering controls not working, backup camera, even their GPS unit may be not as good as built-in.
4. In general lot's of gremlins in electrical wiring - who knows what this chinese crap unit will do to electrics of Murano if engine light already came on (not to mention lost 3 screws - that would bother me a lot)
5. Worst of all - this crap unit may stop working any time now, I've seen many of those stop working after a month or a year. And then you have to deal again with complete replacement again. In best case scenario driving with dead head unit until that seller from ali-express will aree to send you new one for free and then do it all over again - yack. In worst case - when out of warranty - it's just money lost and dead head unit without music, GPS, backup camera or steering wheel controls, issues with engine light, airbag system and who knows what else?

I was an early adopter of chinese crap units back in 2013, but then I decided it's not worth it. Their numerous head units working on Android mostly - have various bugs in software, freezes etc. Often sound quality is subpar and even screen is so-so. Just my 2c.
Dushash is offline  
post #8 of 143 Old 05-03-2016, 01:25 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Eddie from Crutchfield says you lose your surround cameras if you upgrade. There isn't an output/jack, they are hardwired to the receiver. I have seen several units with multiple USB ports and other ports in the back. Sounds like someone just needs to create a harness of some sort maybe. Either way, if Eddie is correct I won't be upgrading any time soon. I like my cameras.
Grey1 is offline  
post #9 of 143 Old 05-03-2016, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 326
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dushash View Post
Nice, but:
1. Issues with dealer is a no go for me and I can't travel to another city to find another dealer
2. Engine light is a major issue and if it's airbag related it's even worse then
3. Numerous issues with steering controls not working, backup camera, even their GPS unit may be not as good as built-in.
4. In general lot's of gremlins in electrical wiring - who knows what this chinese crap unit will do to electrics of Murano if engine light already came on (not to mention lost 3 screws - that would bother me a lot)
5. Worst of all - this crap unit may stop working any time now, I've seen many of those stop working after a month or a year. And then you have to deal again with complete replacement again. In best case scenario driving with dead head unit until that seller from ali-express will aree to send you new one for free and then do it all over again - yack. In worst case - when out of warranty - it's just money lost and dead head unit without music, GPS, backup camera or steering wheel controls, issues with engine light, airbag system and who knows what else?

I was an early adopter of chinese crap units back in 2013, but then I decided it's not worth it. Their numerous head units working on Android mostly - have various bugs in software, freezes etc. Often sound quality is subpar and even screen is so-so. Just my 2c.
Well, thank you for your feedback.

So the Nissan engineers could not figure out how to get a single app (nissan connect) to work properly, I mean it is useless the way it is, and it's been around for more than 2 years. So what are you left with? And you call this a chinese crap?

Maybe you had a bad experience with one of these unit, but I don't think you should label them as chinese crap. At least they are trying, and they are the only one I can find that build these android unit, make them available and affordable around the world. There is lot of research and development that goes into building these units. For $500, you can get everything Android has to offer with no limitation as to what you can put in it or how you want it to look like; right now you cannot even buy a android smartphone for less than $500.

I paid 40,000 for a car with a crappy audio system and an outdated GPS, low resolution display, no cloud connectivity at all. Now, even Ford has better technology than Nissan.

The first thing I noticed after I installed the android unit is the sound improvement, it was such a big difference. I was planning on replacing my speakers, but after I heard it with this new head unit, I might just keep them.

So far, I have had a good experience with this unit. It fits the Murano perfectly, I can put anything I want in it, it has everything you would want in a car. It is a stripped down version of android, but you can go to google play and download anything you feel will be useful to you in the car. It is not perfect, as I have issues with my steering wheel control and my engine light is on, but I don't think it is that big of a deal, I am sure they will figure it out.

I am just giving you my first impression as I have never own this kind of unit before. I like the build quality, it is not worse than the original head unit. I like the resolution, so much better than the original head unit. I like the fact that I am in total control of the unit, I don't have to schedule a date to drive to nissan to have them update my map every year or so.

I have driven 3 hours to New Jersey from MD, listening to music, while the GPS was running and running Bluetooth (ODB2), and I have not seen any glitches. It has been very responsive to all my commands so far.
peterzulu and MikeZim123 like this.
assad is online now  
post #10 of 143 Old 05-03-2016, 07:04 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 470
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by assad View Post
Well, thank you for your feedback.

So the Nissan engineers could not figure out how to get a single app (nissan connect) to work properly, I mean it is useless the way it is, and it's been around for more than 2 years. So what are you left with? And you call this a chinese crap?

Maybe you had a bad experience with one of these unit, but I don't think you should label them as chinese crap. At least they are trying, and they are the only one I can find that build these android unit, make them available and affordable around the world. There is lot of research and development that goes into building these units. For $500, you can get everything Android has to offer with no limitation as to what you can put in it or how you want it to look like; right now you cannot even buy a android smartphone for less than $500.

I paid 40,000 for a car with a crappy audio system and an outdated GPS, low resolution display, no cloud connectivity at all. Now, even Ford has better technology than Nissan.

The first thing I noticed after I installed the android unit is the sound improvement, it was such a big difference. I was planning on replacing my speakers, but after I heard it with this new head unit, I might just keep them.

So far, I have had a good experience with this unit. It fits the Murano perfectly, I can put anything I want in it, it has everything you would want in a car. It is a stripped down version of android, but you can go to google play and download anything you feel will be useful to you in the car. It is not perfect, as I have issues with my steering wheel control and my engine light is on, but I don't think it is that big of a deal, I am sure they will figure it out.

I am just giving you my first impression as I have never own this kind of unit before. I like the build quality, it is not worse than the original head unit. I like the resolution, so much better than the original head unit. I like the fact that I am in total control of the unit, I don't have to schedule a date to drive to nissan to have them update my map every year or so.

I have driven 3 hours to New Jersey from MD, listening to music, while the GPS was running and running Bluetooth (ODB2), and I have not seen any glitches. It has been very responsive to all my commands so far.
Nissan engineers figured out how to built-in a PlayStation into GT-R, but i guess they were more motivated in that case. However, I agree with you for $40K the car should come with perfectly working Nissan Connect with at least dozen of apps. Infinity gets more descent system.
Well, I hope your unit will serve you good and will prove me wrong. Maybe they started to make descent units already.

The only thing - please sort that engine light issue - otherwise you may miss real engine light or have some problems if/when you bring your car to dealership.
Dushash is offline  
post #11 of 143 Old 05-03-2016, 11:28 PM
Super Moderator
 
GateKeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Mississauga, ON
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Not sure why the new head unit would cause a check engine light to come on, usually that is for an emissions issue, and really should have nothing to do with the stereo....

If it wasn't such a pain I would suggest that the new unit be disconnected and see if the light still comes on, or put the original one back and see if it's still there

Or, take the car to the dealer and have them check it out, the car is under warranty still, right ?

.

2015 Murano Platinum Pearl White AWD
GateKeper is offline  
post #12 of 143 Old 05-04-2016, 08:20 AM
Registered User
 
HDTVsportsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Hey Gate,


I'm pretty sure the engine light will eliminate for a whole host of others issues besides emissions. For some reason airbag popped into my head the night I read his original post. But I don't see how now that I think about it. Although, the cabin has airbags everywhere. So what that means is I don't have a clue. Ha..

Always Smell it First.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'15 Murano SL, Black and Black w/Tech.
HDTVsportsfan is offline  
post #13 of 143 Old 05-04-2016, 09:18 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: North of 8 Mile Road
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Apple Carplay is coming to the 2017 model. There will be an software upgrade possible for 2015/2016 but it will also require a change in hardware. That is all I can say for now.
Northof8mile is offline  
post #14 of 143 Old 05-04-2016, 10:03 AM
Registered User
 
HDTVsportsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northof8mile View Post
Apple Carplay is coming to the 2017 model. There will be an software upgrade possible for 2015/2016 but it will also require a change in hardware. That is all I can say for now.



Any idea if this will done under warranty? Kinda seems like it should be.

Always Smell it First.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'15 Murano SL, Black and Black w/Tech.
HDTVsportsfan is offline  
post #15 of 143 Old 05-04-2016, 10:06 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 470
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVsportsfan View Post
Any idea if this will done under warranty? Kinda seems like it should be.
I can bet it won't be done under warranty! You may have to retrofit needed hardware if you want to get Carplay. This is 99% how it's done in automotive world. Maybe Tesla provides software upgrades for free, but even Tesla doesn't do hardware upgrades for free. Only for $$$
Dushash is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome