Nissan Murano Forum banner

Dash Cam

32K views 66 replies 25 participants last post by  lgraf9546 
#1 ·
Has anyone installed a dash cam on their 2015/16 Murano? My installer had issues with power as he tried to wire it using the power coming from the overhead console (moonroof) and it wouldn't turn on at all. It would only power correctly if it was directly plugged onto the DC power outlet in the center console or inside the center compartment.

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
Have it installed myself using DC power outlet - happily running for almost 9 months now! IMHO it's not worth screwing around with roof trim and trying to tap into power. DC gives easiest and most proper on/off function: it starts with the car and shuts down 2-3 minutes after car is switched off, exactly what is needed.

#3 ·
This. I have my eye on a capacitor-powered one (better for warmer environments) that plugs into DC. Will run the cable behind the headliner and A pillar trim, but I'm not messing with tapping into power. Been there, done that. The outlet is fine.

#9 ·
I also have a dash cam. I wanted to cut off the big adapter and just wire it up top in my truck. I messaged the seller and he said the cigarette adapter is there to drop the voltage to 5 volts. If I cut the plug off and run directly to 12 volts I will blow out the unit.

#17 ·
It should be easy to route the power cable to the console cigarette lighter, it has plenty of power, it will power when the car is on and off when you turn off the car, no worry about draining your battery. You can buy this power module from amazon which has a power brick that regulate the power at 5V, so that power is stable going to your dashcam:

I have one, but have not install it yet, I also bought this dashcam:

It does support 64GB memory card

which should be easy to hide behind the rear view mirror, like Grey1 did.

Reactions: breviceps
#18 ·
Thank you Grey1 & assad!

I found a hard-wiring kit specifically for the dashcam brand that I purchased.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00QHGG6VS/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1462612384&sr=8-2&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=papago+520&dpPl=1&dpID=416UgdnX5nL&ref=plSrch[/ame]

I think the kits that you guys used will definitely help with my wiring issues. Crossing fingers! I have my appointment this coming Tuesday.

#21 ·
No need to remove the A pillar, just tug the wire in there by using a some plastic object.

Reactions: joeh
#23 ·
So here is my dash cam install. I did end up purchasing this item: http://amzn.to/1TbG1Yl instead of using the supplied power cable that attaches to the cigarette lighter power outlet. The former allows for a "hot" connection that is constantly on even if the engine is off so that the motion detection recording can be enabled.

Attachments

#24 ·
I have a 2011 Murano now but will soon be replacing it with a 2016 and plan to move my current dashcam into the new vehicle. My setup is a Rexing V1 hooked to the back of my Homelink auto-dimming mirror with an Invisicord for power. It's a very low-profile unit that was an easy DIY job and I've been quite pleased with it. The invisicord is far less work than some of the other options.

#26 ·
Why do you need that, you can pull the power directly from the overhead dome light, it is regulated 12V. These cam do not consume a lot of power (~0.5A).

#28 ·
It is very simple, you can just pull the frame where the dome light sits, it is very easy. Then you will see a connector with 4 wires that connects to the LEDs, there is a constant 12V you can use.

One thing I am not sure though is if that comes on with ACC or not. My guess is not, because the light comes on when you open the door or turn on the switch.

#29 ·
Been playing around with the Rexing V1 for the past week and camera seems solid. Picks up plates extremely well, even when moving. Installed it in wifes Rogue with the included cigarette lighter power cord running along the headliner/A-pillar/glovebox. Very easy and clean install.
About to order another one for myself but instead of using the cigarette lighter power cord, will get a 10' USB, that way I can use a portable power pack for those times I'm at a parking lot and want the camera to keep running.

Invisicord is a great option since with our cars rear view mirror, it's literally plug and play. But it's about $25+ for such a simple cord ?, but as someone said, so much easier than splicing cables.

#30 ·
Hi, I just finished installing the Rexing V1 from my old Murano to the new 2016 Platinum using the Invisicord I had with the previous installation. Easy job, as expected, but then this is my second rodeo with this setup.
:)

I don't know why Invisicord doesn't match the color of the wire tips with the wires, but on the 2016 MO the black Invisicord wire hooks to the black and silver wire in the middle of the three-wires on the mirror connector. The red Invisicord wire goes into the orange and silver wire which is the wire on the drivers side. This wire seems to be switched, while I believe the green and silver wire on the pax side is always on (for Homelink, I guess). The black middle wire is the ground or common/negative connection.

I used black Coban (self adhesive fabric bandage, available under various names) to wrap all the connectors and wires up. That's a good match for the fabric wrapping that came with this MO which is different than the vinyl I had on the previous model.

#34 ·
I used the micro, which seems to work fine. I did not add a fuse as I figure the mirror circuit is already protected.

#35 ·
Why do you guys buy 5v dashcam when your car runs on 12v. There are plenty of 12v dashcam out there...

#41 ·
I tried one of these, poor quality video, these are right from China. Instructions were in broken English. Video written to an SD card.

It's fine for very limited use with basic functionality. No cool features like forward collision warning alerts, GPS location, accident detection - the better models have these features. It's a low quality action camera powered with a DC adapter.

#48 ·
Thanks W0nderbrad and Maestrano, it sounds like a good setup so I think I will end up installing the Homelink mirror and connecting the dashcam to it :)

#50 ·
So with the Invisicord, is it the USB end that plugs into the dashcam to power it? I believe this is the correct link to the Invisicord products for Nissan ( Invisicord Products ) but which product on there did you guys buy? The ones that seem to be somewhat correct appear to have those strange ethernet cable connectors rather than USB connectors.

#51 ·
I guess it pretty much depends on which dashcam you buy, but in general the USB part powers your device and the pins/plugs go into your powered mirror, assuming you have one. The Rexing V1 accepts a USB mini connector, not the micro USB used on a lot of phones these days.

Here's a picture:

This doesn't really show how the Invisicord pins go into the mirror plug; that's kind of a tough angle. As I noted in an earlier post, you can find pix of a Murano mirror hooked to a radar detector on the Invisicord site. On those pix, the plugs are uncovered and not wrapped with Coban as in my install.

For the record, I'm not involved with Invisicord in any way other than being a satisfied customer. If anyone from the company is reading this forum, though, my suggestions are to make the plugs (not pins, those are fine) smaller, shorter and matched to the colors of the wires.

I hope this helps, guys. Let me know if you have any questions.

#52 ·
Here is the dashcam I installed today. I like the fact that it is hidden behind the mirror and out of sight, it fits beautifully between the mirror post and you cannot see any wires. It connects wirelessly to you smartphone and you can watch the live footage or the recordings. Can take up to 64BG of memory, and is HD, picture quality is excellent.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/JOOY...22-Wide-Angle-1080P-DVR-WiFi/32587611239.html

Or go to aliexpress and search for "JOOY Universal Hidden Car Digital Video Recorder Novatek"

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.