Nissan Murano Forum banner

Any 2016 S trim "hacks" and Tips a new owners should know?

8K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  chuckrock16 
#1 ·
Hi!

Just like the title says. Anything unique or a "hack" I should know that could make my ownership more enjoyable? I have a very basic S trim Murano.

I plan to pick up an auto dimming mirror in a year or two and installing it myself but other than that there is not much I can do to the Murano it seems at this point to improve its functionality as far as I know.

I think the dealer left the alarm system installed even though I agreed to having it removed. My key fob only has a lock, unlock and panic button. The salesman did say he needed to install some small black plug before I drove off (something the size of a dime), under the dash.

Anyway, any neat tips/hacks/advice are appreciated!

#2 ·
I also have an S. The only thing I have done so far is replace the halogen headlights with an HID kit, loving it so far. The only other things I really want to do as of now is install fog lights and maybe one day install an auto dimming homelink mirror. I had one in my previous '07 Maxima and miss it. I also wish someone made a good aftermarket heated steering wheel kit.

#3 ·
Hey there,

I have an S trim as well. Wonderful car - I'm hitting my one year anniversary in a few days now! About a month ago I had the dealer install the Homelink autodimming mirror. It is definitely worth it and something you'll want to get - blocks out headlights at night very nicely and has the buttons for garage doors, etc. as well. I too added in an LED light set for my low-beams - I would also recommend that. The LED's Or HID's go much better with the daytime running lights. The halogens just look...rather pathetic haha. I wish all the trim levels would come with LED's standard.

Some other things I added on were mudflaps and the chrome rear bumper protector (both very easy to install at home yourself). If you haven't got them already, get all weather floor mats as well as the all weather cargo mat. They keep the car very clean and protected. Other than that, just get yourself some compound, polish, wax, and tire shine to keep the car looking new.

Chuckrock16, how did you install the HID's and what kit did you use? Is it difficult to do? Do you need to cut wires or anything like that? I'm not very technical when it comes to vehicles so I just installed an LED kit, but HID's seem brighter and better so I'd like to install those if it's not too complicated.

#4 ·
I used the 35 watt 5000K xtreme HID kit from xenon depot. (sorry, the forum won't let me post links) The install was very simple. It just involves hooking up the lights to the ballasts and ignitor, inserting the light into the housing and from there, mounting the ballasts to the car. No wire cutting involved! :) There's a nice little frame area right behind and under the headlight housings that makes a good mount. It has been about a month since the install and the lights are great so far. They match the DRLs really well and to me, they complete the modern look of the car.

How much did your dealer charge you for the homelink install? I was thinking of trying to tackle this myself but I might just get a price from Nissan.

#6 ·
Nice video and clear instructions. I am planning on installing some HID. I currently have LED that I bought from Amazon, but they are not very bright. Last night, I was driving under the rain at night and I could barely see the road ahead.

#7 ·
I also like the fact that it is drawing power straight from the battery by using a relay.

My concern is because it is so bright, you might not see the DRL around the housing at night.
Also I don't want to blind people from the opposite side of the road, since I have read this is an issue with HID, did you have to adjust the level of the light?

#8 ·
I also had this concern before installing but I have had no problems so far. The HIDs are aimed exactly the same way that the halogens were. The lights stay aimed at the road and not too high. I can tell when I'm behind someone that I'm not lighting up the inside of their car and I haven't gotten any flashes from oncoming traffic at all. The DRLs look fine too and pair nicely with the HIDs. Overall to me, the HIDs paired with the Murano projector housing is nice and bright but not obnoxious like some other lights that I've seen. Note that I have the 35 watt kit, not sure if the 55 watt kit would be blinding to others.

#12 ·
To be honest I would go with an LED headlight upgrade, here's why...

They work perfectly with the projector assemblies on the Murano, produce great colour of 6,000-6,500 Kelvin, can output up to 4,000 lumens per bulb (more in some cases), will last much longer than xenon HID, have no "warm up" time, they run cooler than HID, have lower and more consistent power draw from your electrical system, and are easier to install as they're often just plug and play. My only caution would be to make sure you go with a fanless LED bulb design. LEDs will last forever but the fans will typically give out long before the LEDs or start making noise. Go with an aluminum heat sink model (not the woven copper variety as these will typically be lower output).

If you're buying in Canada I can point you to a great supplier/model. I went with these:

#94911 H11- High Beam LED Kit Reversible Heatsink ? Bright Source HID (second generation)

and let me tell you, they are exceptionally bright and look fantastic! Any slight gain in brightness from HID would not be worth any of the compromises mentioned above, imo.

TT.

#13 ·
From what I read, they are definitely brighter than regular bulbs, but they don't throw/go as far halogen or hid, can you please comment on this? I definitely agree with you on all other points, I just worry that its strong enough.

The link you posted is for high beam, do you use the same for low beam?
Thanks

#16 ·
Have any of you guys that have already installed HID's noticed any issues with cold freezing weather?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.