Nissan Murano Forum banner

Engine Lugging

5K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  muReno911 
#1 ·
2016 Murano Platinum. Unacceptable rumbling as vehicle shifts to high gear / torque converter locks at low speed.
From 50KM on level ground up to 70KM. RPM drops to 1000 RPM and noticeable lugging rumbling is heard in vehicle. Dealer says this is normal and associated with CVT type transmission. Ide not buy another if this is the case. Thought CVT issues were long gone. Very disappointing.

#2 ·
I can't tell from what you posted. "Unacceptable" means totally different things to each person.

My suggestion: go to dealer, drive another one similar to yours. See what's same/different.

#3 ·
That is NOT normal! Go to your dealer and have them check it out. As the previous poster said, drive another one and it will be alright. I have had my Platinum for 7 months now, just drove it from Canada to California, and NO lunging!

#4 ·
I also experience this exact same problem as OP described. I would never have bought this vehicle if I had noticed during the test drive. I was also told by the Nissan dealer that this is normal. I'm extremely disappointed in this vehicle and I'm going to trade it in soon for a Lexus.

#5 ·
There is a lockup in the torque converter, and part of the design is to get it to engage to reduce slippage. If yours is not engaging properly, that's an issue. If it's just different from previous cars, it's not an issue, at least for Nissan.

#6 ·
I don't do KM. :) But the 1000 RPM did catch my eye. There are several threads here related to "lunging". CVT can take a bit of getting used to.

However, mind did the same thing at low speeds (20 MPH) and around 1000K RPMs. The car would jerk and lunge. I's the same issue then some here have had a transmission replacement but a few, including myself, have had to have the valve body replaced.

I'm not trying to alarm you, but you do need to keep an eye on it. Outside of that issue my wife loves the car. But trading it in is still an option I'm considering.

#7 ·
My 2016 platinum doesn't have this problem, the 2016 SL that they replaced did have the lugging issue, they also tried to tell me is "normal" , drive another 2016 Murano on the dealers lot and you'll see they don't all do this.... just keep on the dealer and make a paper trail for the future....

#8 ·
Yeah, don't ever accept "that's normal behavior" from the dealer. They don't live with these vehicles every day, we do. Push them to make it right. Get Nissan Consumer Affairs involved, if you have to. Getting them involved in our case worked wonders.

#12 ·
Mine sounds like what any manual transmission vehicle would sound like lugging along at 1000 rpm under light acceleration. Can hardly think that would be considered abnormal given the circumstances.

However I think though that Nissan could've reprogrammed to hold 1100 rpm at those lower speeds, I think that would've elimate the rumble without significant impact on economy.

#16 ·
Have a similar issue when approaching a stop/slowing down to <20 mph. Not really a rumbling but the car lunges/jumps forward (lunge might be too strong of a word). Used to happen to my 2012 altima too and when I test drove the Murano initially there was no issue so I thought they fixed it. Drove normally only for the first month.

They had a recall few months ago on something related to the cruise control and the airbag issue as well and I brought it up to them then. They took it for a test drive and said it's normal. After that I did not notice the same jerking feeling when coming to a stop. But that only lasted about 2 weeks as the issue had returned.

I don't live near a dealer so it is difficult for me to keep taking it back. But if this is considered normal then I for sure am not buying another Nissan with a CVT again. It actually scares me that this issue is going to create a lot of other problems in the future to the engine itself. That jerky movement can not be a good thing for the engine wear and tear.

#17 ·
Have a similar issue when approaching a stop/slowing down to <20 mph. Not really a rumbling but the car lunges/jumps forward (lunge might be too strong of a word). Used to happen to my 2012 altima too and when I test drove the Murano initially there was no issue so I thought they fixed it. Drove normally only for the first month..
Same. My 2008 Altima did the same and I can notice it in 2016 Murano too. I came to believe that this is something normal for the CVT setup. As I understand that is happening due to the torque converter locking/unlocking. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.