Nissan Murano Forum banner

2016 Murano SL Gas Mileage

7K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  mike123333 
#1 ·
Hello, I have had the 2016 Murano Sl for about a month now, we do not use it much and when we do its high driving, so far we have about 550 miles on the vehicle.
This vehicle seems to be consuming more gas than I would like, I am almost consuming about 1/4 of a tank to drive about 82 miles which is very poor. my wife mainly drives it and
she does not pound on the gas or anything. We have a Honda Pilot as well, with the same trip the gas consumption is no where near the Murano.

I have reset the gauges and will get a better feel for what it is averaging, as I have to make a trip to the dealership to go over some things needing attention, this will be all highway driving and want to bring this to their attention as well.

I want some opinions as to what is the expectation from the 2016 murano and highway gas mileage, as well city for that matter? I read somewhere about resetting the computer, do not want to do that unless I have to.

Thanks

Mike

#2 ·
I have a 2016 Platinum. I'm averaging 8.5 Km/L (~ 20 mpg). I have 14xxx Kms so far. I've come to accept that this will be the average I will get for the rest of the life of this car. I do not have a heavy foot, I use CC anywhere I can. Other conditions are I'm on heavy morning and afternoon traffic. I fill as soon as I get the low fuel alert and I stop filling when I get the kick back. I don't cram in couple of litres in after. Most of the time it is the same pump (not religious about it, but based on my driving routing, I end up there).

I did a long trip once, mostly cruising. Got about 12 Km/L (~ 28 mpg). That wasn't so bad.

Regarding the trip computer, there are lots of debate around it. My personal opinion is if you want the overall, leave it as is. If you want per tank numbers, reset every fill-up. Which is what I do, so I can cry at by looking at the numbers when I reach E ... lol

#3 ·
Mike - so far, you have no valid information. Miles Per Gallon is what you need, not a vague "about 1/4 tank." It really means nothing that's helpful.

Over the space of 3-4 fillups, fill the tank to the same level, note the gallons, and do the math to establish an accurate MPG number. When you have that, you have something to discuss. You also have to take into account the kind of traffic you're driving in, and the average speeds. In-town driving will get you 15 MPG no matter how easy on the gas you are; highway driving will be better. I have no clue what "high driving" is, unless you live in Colorado like I do and have been partaking of the noble herb.

And you'll get better gas mileage after a few thousand miles, say 5000 miles. The engine is breaking in and so are all the other mechanical systems. The engine will have more power after you have a few thousand miles on it.

My message is (1) patience, and (2) gather some better information.

#4 ·
Thanks for the quick response, if I can manage to get to 28 mpg highway that is not so bad, I can not accept like 20-22 mpg high way. I am curious to see what the dealership will say
to me as I pose this question to them. At what given point if the specifications are not met that the vehicle is considered a lemon?

#6 ·
Hi Mike123333333...,

I wouldn't worry about your fuel economy until your have more kilometers on your Murano...early calculations are often not representative.

Now to answer your question, I can relate this experience of observed highway fuel economy:

We road tripped from Ontario to Winchester, VA, a distance of approximately 800 km (500 miles). The trip computer (yes, I'm too lazy to do the manual method) showed 7.95 l/100 km (29.6 US mpg; 35.5 Imp mpg). This was in good weather driving about 5 mph over the posted limit.

Not only do I consider this very good for the size/weight/room of the vehicle, it is about 6% better than my 2012 Maxima on the same trip.

With respect to "city" mileage:

This may not be a popular opinion, but it's mine, so I like it.:nerd: Comparing city mileage is almost useless. City conditions varying so wildly...your city commute may be extremely slow, with many stops and starts compared to someone else's whose commute may be more of a suburban parkway ride. Your idea of "normal" acceleration may vary significantly from mine.

The number of stops and your acceleration rate on a city route has the most drastic effect on mileage. You just can't get away from Force = Mass X Acceleration. My own Murano will show a wide range of "city" mileage figures depending on how many red lights I hit.

About the only way to have some idea of city mileage performance is to look at the published Transport Canada or EPA figures. They won't tell you what you will get; but at least will tell you how the Murano compares to other vehicles tested under the same conditions.

After saying all that, my own impression is that the Murano got "just ok" mileage around my particular city, but then I had a Ford Escape 1.5 litre Ecoboost for a while. The Escape was much smaller, and had better EPA city fuel ratings, but in fact was much worse than the Murano in my version of city commuting. My opinion of the Murano improved!

Cheers,
noboy

#7 ·
2015 SL AWD ... 18,000 miles in 18 months. Highway driving at around 75mph during the week, with school pick up and drop off duties and short trips on weekends. Average since ownership (never reset the MPG meter) is at 23.7 mpg

for comparison, my 2016 Merc GLC300 (4-cylinder), 1500 miles, has an average of 26.4 mpg. Merc is driven harder than the Nissan.

#8 ·
aren't all sticker MPG #'s based on 55 mph ? so when we're on the freeway going 70 our #'s come out garbage. when i get on the by-pass and put 'er to the wood i get home and the mpg comes up it's a bit shy of expectations. but when i'm not in a hurry or showing off bhp, the mpg is much more sane.
Instead of taking the highway, take a parallel route that is 2 lanes and drive 60 mph. that's when you start getting the #'s you expect compared to the sticker.
also check out this data:
2015 Nissan Murano Gets Real-MPG Rated: 19.7/28.5 MPG
2nd paragraph.

#11 ·
In my 07 I consistently got about 16 in town, and never over 25 even going downhill coming out of the Rockies. Most straight highway cruising was 70-70 MPH at about 22-23 MPG.

IMO you don't drive a Murano for gas mileage. It's not an econobox or CR-V. It's designed for room, comfort and cargo capacity with reasonable (not high) gas mileage.

Reactions: Balbasaur
#12 ·
Since the 2007 was the original version...and was rated at 17/18 city( AWD/FWD) and 23 mpg hwy...your 23 mpg at 70-75 mph makes sense. The 2015+ Murano is rated at 28 hwy...which is very easy to obtain from my experience given the 23k miles I have driven mine. Less aerodynamic drag...and a new CVT that runs lower rpm at cruising speed (1500 @ 70mph) will help in hwy driving. The 2015+ Murano's city rating of 21 may be optimistic for very urban and stop and go traffic though. However...my lowest mpg for the life of my 2015 has only been 21.5 mpg (manual calculation)...but that was from being very cold and letting engine warm with very little hwy driving.

#13 ·
I've been getting 12-16 in town and about 22 highway.

i happened to be at the dealership yesterday and spoke to my salesman. He happened to be driving a Murano for the last couple of weeks and indicated he's getting 30. (combined highway and in town)

i plan to add it to my list to discuss when i go in for some other repairs (broken side camera,wind noise back seat, and ever present connect/radio/ phone issues)

#15 ·
Today I went on a highway trip and manually calculated the mpg starting with a known full tank of gas, making the trip then filling up the tank to determine gallons consumed . We ended up with 26.5 mpg. The cars average was like 21.5 mpg. The average speed was between 60-70 mph.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.