User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 12 Old 09-20-2003, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Super Senior Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Brainteasers

You are walking down a road and you come to a fork. Down one road is truthtown where everyone always tells the truth and down the other is liarsville where everyone always lies. You decide you want to go to truthtown. There is a person standing at the fork that will answer only one question and is from either truthtown or liarsville but you don't know which.

What is the one question you can ask this person that will ensure you get to truthtown?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-21-2003, 12:21 AM

arrgh! pm me and tell me the answer!
post #3 of 12 Old 09-21-2003, 12:26 AM
Super Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Don't scroll down unless you want to know the answer.....

You ask either of the two guys which way to truthstown - what would the other person say? The answer then should be obvious, and you dothe opposite of the answer you hear.
post #4 of 12 Old 09-21-2003, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Super Senior Member

bzzzzzzzzzt

Still your turn!

There is only one person at the fork in the road.

|
|
post #5 of 12 Old 09-21-2003, 12:44 AM
Super Moderator

Ok I guess I heard another version of this brainteaser. Let me rephrase my answer!

"Of the two statements, 'You are a liar' and 'This road leads to the truth village,' is one and only one of them true?" Here, a "yes" answer indicates it is the road, a "no" answer that it isn't, regardless of whether the guy lies or tells the truth.
post #6 of 12 Old 09-21-2003, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Super Senior Member

ahhhhh...no, that ain't it. Only one question is allowed and putting two in one sentence is essentially two questions. Otherwise you could ask him two of several million combinations like: Is ice cold and is that the way to truthtown? That's two questions. There is only one question you need ask.

|
|
post #7 of 12 Old 09-21-2003, 01:30 AM
Super Moderator

Ahhh you are forcing me to think about this puzzler, and I'm allergic to thinking on a saturday night. Ok how about this one:

"If I were to ask a person from the other city, which path would they tell me to take to truthsville?"

You would pick the opposite path to the answer.
post #8 of 12 Old 09-21-2003, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
Super Senior Member

nope

one person, one question

If you ask: Is this the way to truthtown? (or some variation)

He could be from liarsville and tell you the wrong way or he could be from truthtown and tell you the right way but you don't know where he is from so there is a 50% chance of that working. There is one question that is 100% reliable.

Same thing if you ask: Is this the way to liarsville?

No combination of positives or negatives of those questions will work either.

Hint: The fact that he is from either truthtown or liarsville and the fact that people from truthtown always tell the truth and people from liarsville always lie is the key. If he was from a real city where individual people sometimes lie and sometimes tell the truth, then there is no question that will work.

|
|
post #9 of 12 Old 09-21-2003, 02:20 AM
Super Moderator

Ok someone is nitpicking my answers! Hehe...

How about this variant:

Point to one of the two roads and ask "if i were to ask you if this road leads to truthstown, would you say yes?"

Suppose the path led to truthstown. The truth teller would say yes. The liar would also answer yes, since his liar answer would be no. but he lies so he has to say yes. In a way, this answer was a question within a question, but its the best I can think of at the moment.
post #10 of 12 Old 09-21-2003, 03:06 AM

Ask the person to point to his village?
post #11 of 12 Old 09-21-2003, 03:28 AM

Ok try this,
There are 9 cue balls on the table, all identical, except that one is slightly heavier than the rest. There is also a balance scale on the table... using the balance scale twice determine which cue ball is slightly heavier.
post #12 of 12 Old 09-21-2003, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tukmol
Ask the person to point to his village?
Bingo!

Weigh balls 1-3 against balls 4-6 to find out the group of 3 balls that is heavy. If the scales match then it's 7-9. Now measure one of the balls in the heavy group against another in the heavy group. If the scales match then it's the one you didn't weigh.

|
|

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: