FM Radio Reception - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#1 Old 11-10-2007, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
FM Radio Reception

Has anyone out there found a way to improve the FM Radio reception in the Murano? I have an '05 SL AWD with every option but NAV and, from day one, the FM reception has been terrible. I live and drive (most of the time) in suburban areas between Boston & Worcester, MA so there's no shortage of strong FM stations. Neither of my family's other 2 cars have ANY problems (Dodge Caravan & Volvo V70) - nor did the Jeep I had before the Mo. The dealer (back when I got it in early '05) replaced the antenna, the cable, and the entire (so-called) Bose unit (twice) - to no avail. Also, as far as I can tell, I do not suffer from the painted roof surface (inside) that afflicted the '03 models. And, last but not least, the dealer let me try an antenna mast from an '07 Murano, an '07 Versa, and an '07 Z (which is a bit longer but the base threads are the same). None of them improved the reception! I can't even count on continuously good reception for my iPod Monster cable (which contains a small FM transmitter that I keep inside the center console). HELP!!??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-10-2007, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
startupguyl-

Welcome to the forum!

Let me see if I understand this correctly... They replaced the antenna, the cable between the antenna and the radio, and the radio itself (twice), and you still have a problem? What's left to replace?

You also mentioned that your Ipod with FM transmitter also has bad reception.

Not to be sarcastic, but maybe your expectations are too high. I know, that is not what you want to hear.

The first thing I would do is to check the antenna ground. It is very possible the service guys at the dealer just swapped out parts without looking for the root-cause. A poor ground is usually the problem in cases like yours. Check out this link- AM/FM Reception Problems - it explains how to test the ground.

You could also try an in-line antenna booster.

Good luck.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
#3 Old 11-11-2007, 11:06 PM

FM Radio Reception

Thanks! - but the ground for the antenna base has been checked & re-rechecked. I even added a small "jumper cable" (a piece of #10 wire with medium alligator clips on each end) between the large nut that holds the base to the roof (behind the map/reading lights) and a nearby bare-metal ground point - to no avail.

The ground was a problem in the '03 Mo because the inside surface of the roof had too much paint on it.

The problem lies in the design of the stubby antenna itself (it has a lousy SWR) which hasn't changed for several years.

I was hoping, thru this post, to learn of a 3rd-party replacement. Failing that, I suppose I could try an in-line booster - but I'm reluctant to spend my own money on fixing a problem that I believe Nissan should fix. I think I'll wait a bit to see if anyone else offers any suggestions.

thx again!
#4 Old 11-12-2007, 10:30 PM

The only third party replacement I know of if from a company called XM Radio.

Works great, excellent sound quality.

2003 SL AWD Black
#5 Old 11-13-2007, 12:20 PM

Are you (Gonzo) saying that XM Radio (a satellite radio company) makes an after-market FM antenna that fits the Mo?

thx!!
#6 Old 11-13-2007, 11:25 PM

Silly question on my part, but do you have the DVD player in the car? If so, it uses a FM transmitter. Is the DVD player on?

'11 Volkswagen Touareg VR6 Sport
'08 Altima Hybrid w/Convenience Package
'09 Yamaha Tmax (blue)
'84 Mustang SVO

Traded: '04 MO SL AWD, Midnight Blue/Cafe Latte - all options incl. NAV, DVD, Tow, XM, Chrome Wheels, AV Electronics TV & backup camera, Michelin Latitude Tour HP tires (stock size)
Totalled (but gave its life to save mine): 2003 Murano SE AWD, Glacier Pearl, Caffe Latte - All Options exc. tow pkg
#7 Old 11-14-2007, 12:21 AM
Super Senior Member

My question is simple.
How do you know the SWR of a receiving antenna?

Homer

2005 Mercury Grand Marquis
2004 ThunderBird 2 passenger Runabout

HAD The GOLD RUSH until Nov 6 2009
2003 Gold SLFWD with Premium, Sunroof, Latte Leather, Ultrashield Invisible Bra, Sunroof wind deflector, Aluminum Tank Guard, Chrome Wheels by Ion Alloy, Michelin 235/65-18 Cross Terrains, Garmin Nuvi

2008 Cadillac Gold Mist DTS LUX III - Gone!
2010 Mercedes Benz GLK 350 - Gone!

"Didja ever notice that quiet people are not the only ones who don't say much?"
#8 Old 11-19-2007, 02:25 PM

Gonzo, man. Don't be mean.

Gonzo was suggesting that you dump FM for sat radio instead. If you haven't ever tried XM/Sirius, they are definitely worth a once over. I'll be putting a unit in my MO once I finish some of my other projects.

The '09 did away with the "hedgehog" antenna, it seems. I much prefer the shark fin style. I wish it could be easy to swap 'em out.
#9 Old 11-19-2007, 03:44 PM

To hfelknor: Good question! Now that I think about it, SWR is typically a measure of a transmitting antenna, isn't it? (I'm clearly NOT an RF engineer!) I got that "idea" from some other post and didn't stop to think about it.

To jkster: How do you know the '09 models will have a shark-fin? And how do you know it won't be easy to swap it? (just curious). I kinda figured that Gonzo was advocating a satellite solution - but thanks.

thx!!
#10 Old 11-19-2007, 04:03 PM

I noticed the '09 shark fin while watching the youtube video of the CEO doing his speech. It's posted somewhere else on these forums.

Somewhere else on the forum, there was a link to a company that makes an aftermarket shark fin replacement antenna. You've probably seen it, but it sounded relatively painless. Unfortunately, it was mentioned there that their solution wouldn't work on the MO.

It comes down to my limited drive to replace it as it hasn't bothered me very much yet. I meant easy as in "unclip hedgehog, clip on shark fin" easy. Or even "easy button" easy.

2007 Murano SL
Merlot, Cafe Latte Leather
AWD, Touring Package, No XM, No Nav
#11 Old 11-19-2007, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by startupguyl
How do you know the '09 models will have a shark-fin?
No, the 2009 MOs do not have a "shark fin" antenna for the AM/FM radio. It is the same type antenna that is on all other MOs; it has just been moved from the front to the rear of the roof.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM iPod interface
-Muth signal mirrors
#12 Old 11-19-2007, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I'm with Gonzo. Once you try satellite radio, you'll never go back to testicular radio.
#13 Old 11-19-2007, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by nafddur
you'll never go back to testicular radio.
"testicular radio"??

I recall Lucille Ball claiming on late-night TV that she could receive radio station signals with the fillings in her teeth, but this one is new to me. Is antenna position critical to receiving signals with your testicular radio??

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM iPod interface
-Muth signal mirrors
#14 Old 11-19-2007, 05:06 PM

wow. that kind of thing is going to get me in trouble for laughing out loud in the middle of our cube farm...

wow.

2007 Murano SL
#15 Old 11-20-2007, 01:10 PM

@topic.
I grabbed my iRiver MP3 player from my bag this morning, had my wife plug the charger cord into the passenger socket, and then plugged the charger into the MP3 player.

The radio went to almost complete static. I've never had reception trouble with this station anywhere near my house. I'm thinking that the socket might share a ground with the antenna or other radio component. Other channels came in okay, but were significantly reduced with the player charging.

You might try unplugging any components in the 12V sockets. I guess you already tried bypassing to another ground, but it could be the issue.

2007 Murano SL

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: