Question about Valvoline CVT fluid... - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#1 Old 12-06-2010, 06:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Unhappy Question about Valvoline CVT fluid...

I would love to know what anyone thinks about Valvoline CVT fluid, and if it will ruin my transmission. I have researched it and Valvoline claims that it is comparable to Nissan NS-2. I would also like to know if it will void the 120,000 mile CVT warranty... Valvoline also claims that it will not void any warranties, but I am sceptical. I have an '03 MO with 90k miles on it, and thought I should get a drain and refill on the CVT fluid... well, I made the stupid mistake of taking it to Jiffy Lube. They drained it and then realized that they only had Honda CVT fluid, so the guy went to NAPA and picked up 6 quarts of the Valvoline CVT fluid and put that in... I am worried! Will this damage my tranny?? All answers would be greatly appreciated! Brittany
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-07-2010, 12:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well, the good news is that if you have on your receipt exactly what they used, then if there's a problem later that Nissan won't cover because of it you can go straight to Jiffy Lube and yell at them.

Actually, I'm really surprised that:
A) They KNEW to use CVT fluid
B) They REALIZED they only had Honda fluid
C) They REALIZED that Honda CVT fluid and Nissan CVT fluid were not the same

You must have an exceptionally good Jiffy Lube. All the stories I've heard, I don't trust them for ANYTHING, which is why I haven't used them for about 10 years now!

~ Corin

----------------------------------------
2005 MO SL AWD, Platinum w/ Charcoal Cloth, Sunroof Pkg, Tow Pkg, StonGard, Stainless "Z" Grill, air horns, ipod magic box, Garmin c320, Carseat
2014 Nissan Leaf (My second one)
#3 Old 12-07-2010, 09:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Cool! Finally some competition for the over priced Nissan CVT fluid! Hopefully what you say is true in it being a direct replacement.

Where there is more competition in the market...prices will go down!

After 142K miles, my MO is history. Now sporting a loaded silver 2012 Ford Edge Limited with 20" wheels.
#4 Old 12-07-2010, 11:34 AM

Well, that's what I'm worried about, I don't necessarily know if it's a direct replacement or not... and I called the Nissan dealership. They told me ONLY to put Nissan CVT fluid in, and that it will probably void the warranty. Is this a scare tactic???
#5 Old 12-07-2010, 12:23 PM
Super Senior Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Tried the Valvoline site. Did not answer...

'07 SE black/black, Everything but OEM NAV
Magellan Roadmate 1700 7" in dash with OEM backup camera/ factory displays
Valentine One
GROM IPOD/USB/AUX audio interface with Bluetooth

Former owner:
'03 SL
#6 Old 12-07-2010, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnandbrit07 View Post
Well, that's what I'm worried about, I don't necessarily know if it's a direct replacement or not... and I called the Nissan dealership. They told me ONLY to put Nissan CVT fluid in, and that it will probably void the warranty. Is this a scare tactic???
Right under my rule of "Do not trust Jiffy Lube" I have my number 2 rule of "Do not trust Nissan Service". Nissan techs (and other dealerships for that matter) use all kinds of scare tactics to pressure you into spending 3 or 4 times what you should doing service and repairs at the dealer.

That said, I have no answer for you on whether they would be equivalent, or if it would potentially void the warranty. I would lean towards trusting Valvoline over Nissan Service, but if I were in your position I'd probably still be just as nervous as you are.

Please keep us posted. If you find out any more information, please post here. It would be nice to have a lower-cost option for CVT fluid, that's for sure.

~ Corin

----------------------------------------
2005 MO SL AWD, Platinum w/ Charcoal Cloth, Sunroof Pkg, Tow Pkg, StonGard, Stainless "Z" Grill, air horns, ipod magic box, Garmin c320, Carseat
2014 Nissan Leaf (My second one)
#7 Old 12-07-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corin View Post

Actually, I'm really surprised that:
A) They KNEW to use CVT fluid
B) They REALIZED they only had Honda fluid
C) They REALIZED that Honda CVT fluid and Nissan CVT fluid were not the same

You must have an exceptionally good Jiffy Lube. All the stories I've heard, I don't trust them for ANYTHING, which is why I haven't used them for about 10 years now!
Well, truthfully I called Jiffy Lube before I even took the car there to make sure they had CVT fluid, and the guy looked it up and said they did. I made sure with him that it was Nissan fluid and stressed that there was a difference between CVT fluids, and he said it was definitely Nissan... It was only when I was there and my old fluid was drained out that he realized that the CVT fluid said HONDA right on it... So really there was nothing else to do but go buy the Nissan fluid somewhere, and NAPA was closest. Then the guy tells me he spent $100 on 6 quarts of it, so he was doing the work for free. And he also lied to begin with, when he checked the old fluid. It was a golden yellow color, and he said it was supposed to be red, and that I should DEFINITELY change it. Then when he was pouring the new fluid in... wait for it... it was GOLDEN YELLOW!!!!! Anyways, he charged me for a flush which was $120 and it was only a drain and refill, which costs $59. When I got home, I called NAPA and found out that the Valvoline fluid was only $10 a quart!! So he lied when he said it was $100 for six quarts. Needless to say, I got all my money back! Now, I'm just worried about the Valvoline brand.

I just called Valvoline again and now they are telling me that their CVT fluid is compatible with both NS-2 AND NS-1... Isn't this a bad thing??? They said that if anything happens to my tranny, and it is determined that it was the fluid that damaged it, they will stand by their product 100% and will pay for the damage. Still, I'm worried. I am wondering if I should just say screw it and drive it down to the dealership and have it drained and refilled a few times with the Nissan NS-2... I can't believe this is all such a mystery!!
And it's 6 grand that's on the line if the CVT fails...
#8 Old 12-07-2010, 03:48 PM
Super Senior Member

Get it in writing!!!!!

Valentine One

Former owner:
'03 SL
#9 Old 12-07-2010, 09:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekaxel View Post
Get it in writing!!!!!
I agree. Get it in writing from Valvoline and you should be fine.

2004 SL AWD - Super Black - Leather Package (Café latte) - Tow Package - Floor Mats - Splash Guards - Cargo Area Protector - Rear Bumper Protector - Front Window Tint - Dawn Color Matched Body Side Molding – Day Time Running Lights - PAC-NIS1 Aux Audio input - Pressure Pro TPMS and Anti Theft Sensor Locks - 7" Xenarc VGA Touchscreen - Compaq EVO e-PC 2.0 GHz Pentium 4 Carputer with 120GB HD, DSATX PSU / Shutdown Controller, Road Runner Front End, iGuidance 3.0 Navigation, DVD player, Internet access, XM satellite radio, Deluo GPS receiver, Linksys WiFi Antenna, TERK XM antenna - Tweeter 22uF CAP mod - Magnetbra - Custom Backup Camera - Aries Polished Stainless Steel Sidestep (nerf) Bars - Euro-Tech Nudge Bar - Homemade Lower Grill Cover - Auxiliary Projection Fog Lamps - Aluminum Fuel Tank Shields - Wade Window Deflectors - Nissan Sunroof Deflector - Scosche UBRH Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit
#10 Old 12-07-2010, 11:33 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
brit07-

It is plausible the Valvoline fluid will not harm the MO's CVT, but are you willing to take the gamble?

If this were my MO, I would insist that Jiffy Lube correct their mistake and flush, not just replace, the Valvoline fluid with the correct Nissan NS-2 fluid.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
#11 Old 12-08-2010, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njjoe View Post
brit07-

It is plausible the Valvoline fluid will not harm the MO's CVT, but are you willing to take the gamble?

If this were my MO, I would insist that Jiffy Lube correct their mistake and flush, not just replace, the Valvoline fluid with the correct Nissan NS-2 fluid.

-njjoe
I agree, that's how I feel too, but Jiffy Lube already gave me my money back, and I doubt they would pay to have it flushed, especially with the more expensive fluid. But I'm also scared to go to the dealership since I've heard that they can rip you off too.
#12 Old 12-08-2010, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnandbrit07 View Post
I agree, that's how I feel too, but Jiffy Lube already gave me my money back, and I doubt they would pay to have it flushed, especially with the more expensive fluid. But I'm also scared to go to the dealership since I've heard that they can rip you off too.
Just because Jiffy Lube returned your money does not mean they are off the hook. They admitted they made a mistake. A refund does not resolve them.

The CVT takes 10-3/4 quarts of fluid. JiffyLube drained and replaced 6 with Valvoline fluid, so you still have approximately 5 quarts of NS-2 in the trans. Doing another drain and fill would give you a mixture that is 75% NS-2. You could demand a complete flush-n-fill will NS-2 and then "settle" for the less expensive drain-n-fill. They might go for that.

Nissan warranties the CVT for 10 years and 120,000 miles, so you are still covered for another 30,000 miles which equates to a year or two. If you take the MO to a Nissan dealership for a flush-n-fill and the CVT fails two years from now at 119,000 miles they may deny the claim if they documented that the CVT once contained fluid other than NS-2. If you then try to get Valvoline involved they most likely would demand proof that their fluid was the root cause of the failure, and Nissan/JATCO never discloses the failure analysis. So you would be stuck riding a bike to work while the Nissan and Valvoline goobers play a tug of war.

If it were my MO, after I got out of jail for giving the JiffyLube tech a Valvoline enema, I would do a drain-n-fill with NS-2 and keep this incident off the Nissan radar. That way if the CVT every does fail under warranty the fluid looks undiluted and they are none the wiser.

Let us know how it goes.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
#13 Old 12-08-2010, 01:20 PM

Well, I just got off the phone with the district manager of Jiffy Lube. He is going to order 11 quarts of the Nissan NS-2 directly from the Nissan dealership and he is going to do a complete flush for free! I'm so glad my *****ing paid off!! My husband says I'm like Sherlock Holmes... you can't get nothing past me! lol What a relief! Now, I'm just worried about what a flush does... I've read up on transmission flushes, and I've heard that they can do more damage than good. Anyone heard anything about that?
#14 Old 12-08-2010, 01:50 PM
Super Senior Member

Does this mean that someone is afraid that the Valvoline CVT is NOT compatible with NS2?

Valentine One

Former owner:
'03 SL
#15 Old 12-08-2010, 02:53 PM

Well, it's questionable. It's supposedly compatible with NS1 AND NS2, which I've heard is impossible, since they are two different transmission types. But Nissan will only honor the warranty if Nissan NS2 fluid is used, and that's what I told the guy... That they basically voided my warranty and that they had better fix it.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: