Nissan Murano Forum banner

Oil and filters new murano

5K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  m4gician 
#1 ·
Wife put on a 1000kms already on the new Murano this week. I went down to Nissan to get some floor mats and bought 3 new filters with drain plug washers for 13.99 a piece! At first it was an extra 2 bucks for each washer. Not outrageous but they look more like a $9 buck filter by size. But I like to use OEM filters while under warranty. Any other quality brands that are popular for these cars? Also what is the oil requirement for these cars ?? I imagine its in the owner manual some where. Do they require fully synthetic or just good dino oil ??

#2 ·
Check the manual, synthetic only, Mobil 5-30 recommended. Also see the oil filler cap on the engine.

I've had my Murano 5 years and haven't changed the oil pan drain plug washer yet. Mea culpa but mea no leaka.

#9 ·
I've had my Murano 5 years and haven't changed the oil pan drain plug washer yet. Mea culpa but mea no leaka.
Same as you, Pilgrim, except I'm now just over 10 years on the original, drain plug washer!

I also agree with you about the virtues of full synthetic oil. I switched to it on my MO right after the first five, `free,' dealer supplied oil changes (after I bought my 04 SE back on 10/04), of course use it on my bimmer where it's required, and have also put it in my mower and snowblower. To me, using `dino' oil in any 4 stroke engine is being penny wise and pound foolish.

#6 ·
Oh for sure synthetics have their place and in cold weather application necessary for sure. Just was wondering as some of these new vehicles it's just plain required by the manufacturer. Nissan in this engine requires good Dino oil to meet warranty coverage.

Personally I have nothing against synthetic oil and do use it in some equipment for improved cold weather operation and also in a VW diesel jetta I had. However I shy away from cars that boast synthetic oil and only changed their oil 5 times in a 100'000 miles. Oil is cheap and our winter driving conditions would be considered "severe" and oil should be changed accordingly.

When working in the shop years back seeing 100's of cars a month I never told anyone their engine issues were do to not using synthetic oil. It was always..."sorry sir you have no oil in your engine"!! or "have you ever changed oil in your car as it looks like tar"!! But as I mentioned some auto's require synthetic oil so times have changed.

#7 ·
You sounds like you know what your are talking about so I won't add more, other than to say using synthetic oil can help in cold and hot climates because it can maintain its "fluidity" or "thickness" better. It also helps those who may not be diligent in changing their oils because it can add to the time between oil changes...

#8 ·
The OP is absolutely correct that some car do require synthetic - BMW and Corvette are among them. The Murano does not, but it's certainly a good idea.

And I also agree that neglect and failure to check or add oil are major problems for today's know-nothing, neglectful car owners.

#12 ·
Mobil1 5qt jug 25 bucks at Walmart. You can't beat it:29:

#15 ·
DUDE!!

You're in Alberta! Canadian Tire had a great sale on Castrol Syntec 5L (the engine takes 4.7 to 4.9L) on sale from $59 to $25.99. CASTROL has a coupon online for $5 off. Check redflagdeals.com I bought 6 bottles, I won't have to worry for 2 years for oil changes.

Also, by spending roughly $20 in oil, you can opt to for the $9 filter.

#17 ·
If you're like me and don't want to do your own oil change, Canadian Tire has a $20 coupon inside their Winter catalogue for synth oil change valid until Dec 31. Or you can go to Costco for about the same price anytime and they only do synth now, no more dino oil!

#18 ·
Costco does oil changes?! I thought they only do tire changes.

Nice.

My mechanic charges me $20 to put the vehicle up, drain it, and change the filter. That's if I bring him the oil and filter, but still since I stocked up at $20 a bottle, I can probably get a bulk amount of filters online so my oil changes for synthetic with synthetic filter are under $50.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.