Removal: This was a heck of a project and not nearly as easy as I expected. With that said, a bit of patience and determination and it is completely doable!
I started by accessing the inside of the rear cabin for access to the tail lights on each side and the reverse lights. With a bit of probing, this is not much of an issue. You must also remove the inside hatch panel completely; again not a big deal and pretty self-explanatory really.
Once I had access, I unplugged the right tail light and plugged it into the new 2011/12 tail light. It is total plug and play and everything works perfectly. Then I attempted to remove the right tail light. This is where it got a bit tricky. You remove the tail light trim piece that is attached via tabs; no tools needed; no real issues there, just pull easy. Then you remove the two bolts located behind; again no issue. Using the long extension used for the jack, I then needed to get the two tabs released. This is a ***** to be honest and you literally feel like something is going to break or crack. With more and more pressure prying, you will hear cracking and I can’t stand that. I then came to realize that it just needs more pressure and accepted the fact that the 09 tail light might get damaged. The far corner tab released first and then the center tab. The center tab broke…..DAMN, oh well.
Installation: The new light was a breeze to install. To aid in the install and future removal, I coated the push tabs with a waterproof lithium grease. Insertion was a cinch and I then replaced the two bolts and the tail light trim. I came to realize that the 09 tail light trim needs to be replaced as the 2011 lights are more bulbous for lack of a better word. No biggie, ordered both sides here for $39 shipped: MyNismo.com - NISSAN OEM 2011 MURANO Tail Lights
Right side complete! The backup light was a cinch as well with just 3 mounting points using a 10mm deep well socket. Again, you must remove the rear hatch panel which is one big piece. Direct plug and play!
I was lucky with the left side and both tabs release without breaking but I was sure they were going to ☺. Same process as the right side. The left side took me just a few minutes while the right side (trial side) took well over an hour.
In reverse order, I replaced the interior bits and pieces and all went back together with relative ease and everything lined up nicely. This gave me a chance to clean up the spare tire area as well. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask! All in all it took me the better part of 3 hours to complete the process. I will get the new tail light trim next week and replace those with the 09 trim that is there now so everything is tidy.