Nissan Murano Forum banner

2009 > 2011 Tail Light Conversion Complete!

29K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  J.eagle 
#1 ·
Not for the faint of heart! I will write a full review and post later but here are a bunch of photos for you to chew on. VERY happy with the results. It IS completely "plug and play" FYI

See less See more
  • Love
Reactions: Murana
#3 ·
Very nice, I wasn't a big fan of the 2011 taillights but I've warmed up to them. I've noticed the taillights on older 2nd Gen Muranos start to haze up with age so I think this upgrade makes a lot of sense. Good to know it's plug-n-play too. I know when I had an '04 3 series BMW people had issues when upgrading to the LED taillights.

#5 ·
No haze on my 09 tail lights, but the 2011/12 tail lights are much more modern looking and actually have a different external shape. Install was far from easy, but I am able to try and sell three of the four 2009 tail lights to recoup some funds used for the 2011 lights (one tab broke on the right tail light) so that one will go on the shelf in the garage ;)

The 2009 murano also has LED tail and brake lights, so you wont run into issues there. The plug is identical as well!

There is a slight difference in the 2011 turn signal socket (uses same bulb but Amber, not clear). For some reason they went from a three prong socket on the 2009 to a four prong on the 2011 socket, so you really should have the 2011 harness as well. the rest is the same.

#4 ·
Removal: This was a heck of a project and not nearly as easy as I expected. With that said, a bit of patience and determination and it is completely doable!

I started by accessing the inside of the rear cabin for access to the tail lights on each side and the reverse lights. With a bit of probing, this is not much of an issue. You must also remove the inside hatch panel completely; again not a big deal and pretty self-explanatory really.

Once I had access, I unplugged the right tail light and plugged it into the new 2011/12 tail light. It is total plug and play and everything works perfectly. Then I attempted to remove the right tail light. This is where it got a bit tricky. You remove the tail light trim piece that is attached via tabs; no tools needed; no real issues there, just pull easy. Then you remove the two bolts located behind; again no issue. Using the long extension used for the jack, I then needed to get the two tabs released. This is a ***** to be honest and you literally feel like something is going to break or crack. With more and more pressure prying, you will hear cracking and I can’t stand that. I then came to realize that it just needs more pressure and accepted the fact that the 09 tail light might get damaged. The far corner tab released first and then the center tab. The center tab broke…..DAMN, oh well.

Installation: The new light was a breeze to install. To aid in the install and future removal, I coated the push tabs with a waterproof lithium grease. Insertion was a cinch and I then replaced the two bolts and the tail light trim. I came to realize that the 09 tail light trim needs to be replaced as the 2011 lights are more bulbous for lack of a better word. No biggie, ordered both sides here for $39 shipped: MyNismo.com - NISSAN OEM 2011 MURANO Tail Lights Right side complete! The backup light was a cinch as well with just 3 mounting points using a 10mm deep well socket. Again, you must remove the rear hatch panel which is one big piece. Direct plug and play!

I was lucky with the left side and both tabs release without breaking but I was sure they were going to ☺. Same process as the right side. The left side took me just a few minutes while the right side (trial side) took well over an hour.

In reverse order, I replaced the interior bits and pieces and all went back together with relative ease and everything lined up nicely. This gave me a chance to clean up the spare tire area as well. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask! All in all it took me the better part of 3 hours to complete the process. I will get the new tail light trim next week and replace those with the 09 trim that is there now so everything is tidy.

#7 ·
$39 was just for the tail light trim. With that said, I was patient and found all four 2011 lights for $226. Cheapest new is about $650!

#9 ·
Love the upgrade you did. I'm looking at doing the same for my girlfriends 2010. She loves the looks of the new lights as well so I'm looking to surprise her by buying the newer lights and installing them (hopefully without catching me in the process) and see how long before she notices. Where did you purchase the new lights since you said you got them at a discounted price over brand new? I've been searching the internet and I can't even find a site that sells them new. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#13 ·
I found your blog very helpful when I did the conversion to My Murano Roadracer516! Actually no other blog was half as helpful as yours.

I have just done the conversion last week and have a question for you.

If you look really close at the 2 smaller pieces that house the reverse lights, you will find that they have 3 Red LED lights in each which supposedly continues the red LED lights from the bigger pieces. The thing is they do not seem to work or is that normal? In the pictures you posted, it seems that yours do not get turned on either.

Unfortunately, I have not physically seen a 2012 Murano yet to really get the answer :confused:

Let me know what you think, Cheers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.