Nissan Murano Forum banner

3rd Gen LED Headlight Feedback from Current Owners

7K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  tnelson 
#1 ·
hi there,

I'm new here, but have been lurking the last few weeks.

My wife and I had an extended test drive of a Murano Platinum 2015 model.

The headlights were aimed too high so I didn't get a real sense for how good they are when set up properly.

For those of you who have been driving your 2015 for a little while now, what's your honest opinion on the LED headlights. I live in a Northern city so it gets too dark too soon in the winter, good headlights are everything IMHO.

Also, since the headlights were aimed too high, I can only assume they don't have an auto level function. No one at the dealer can clarify this. I'm hoping its at least load levelling so you aren't aiming too high on a trip to the cabin with kids and luggage in tow.

I appreciate the feedback! This is about the only thing I don't know about the Murano, seems like something a dealer should know about ;)

#2 ·
I have 2015 Platinum and '09 SL in South Florida. To our eyes the 2015 headlights are just fine as a driver, and very attractive viewed from outside. The 2015 does not have a way to level for load as the '09 does. We are happy with both and highly recommend the 2015, the zero gravity seats alone set it above and beyond the 09, then add all the well done technology and driving is a pleasure.

#3 ·
From the owners manual it looks like there is not a manual adjustment. It mentions an adjustment for the halogen units, but does not mention it for the LED.
On my 2006, there is an aiming adjustment control on the left of the dash.

Attachments

#5 ·
Certainly out of spec. The low beams were aimed like highs and the high beams were aimed at the sky. There was zero cut off on the road....anywhere, and when parked beside a wall the beams were very obviously aimed up.

That said, I just got another demo, in the colour we want and with zero mileage (the one we will in all likelihood buy). As I suspected, these ones are far better. They cut off approx where I would expect them to (visually speaking) on the back of a car 50' ahead of me. It shows obvious stepping from left (low) to right (higher). Performance on the road was superb and the brights were aimed right and were spectacular. Sweet mother the brights are impressive.

The cutoff is quite colourful, impressively so, flaring blue and purple with all of the colours of the rainbow to be found in there somewhere (well not all, but a surprising amount)

I can see how the lights within the headlight unit would be fixed within relation to each other (highs and lows) and it makes sense seeing as they are permanently mount diodes, but there has to be away to align the left and right beams correctly via the whole light unit, be it shims or otherwise. That last one was quite bad. There has to be some method by which to get lights in spec.

I had a lifted truck flash me in that first demo (the only vehicle that did) and he had full after market HID lows and fogs scattering light to high heaven. He flashed, I flashed back to show my lows were on and just as he was about to pass me he light-barred me....that's just rude. I have a 30" RIGID light bar on my truck, blasting that many lumens at someone is an ocular assault ;) . Anyhow...clearly aimed too high for him. Pretty amazing.

Anyhow, this demo, so far so good. Again, they let me pick it up short notice and did a partial PDI. The steering wheel isn't even straight...oh well. I know they will get it all sorted before delivery.

#7 ·
Agreed! The brights are among the brightest I've seen period. The advantage of course being there is no strike time for an LED so you can actually use a nice bright source vs a Halogen. As I mentioned above I have a light bar in my truck, the beam brightness and pattern are definitely equivalent to a multi LED light bar. Perhaps not a 30" but surprisingly close. The reach is beautiful and the blending into the lows is flawless. LED's seem to be the way to go for sure.

#8 ·
Well, we just ordered a Murano in Pacific Sunset and Cashmere leather interior. It's a Platinum, in Canada it's loaded, no options for a tech package exist as it's all just thrown in.

I was surprised we needed up with the Orange (really, it's a bit less intense and would be better described as copper) but we felt it was the sportiest yet still classy look. The paint certainly shows the most dynamic range in terms of light reflectivity, so it does a superb job highlighting the sheet metal. I was sure we would end up wit Cayenne red....but in Canada at least, it's a darker colour, closer to a wine. Shame, I love the "website" red...but since when were those colours ever reality. Too hard to judge colour on different devices.

Exciting. Hope the headlights are aimed correctly ;)

#10 ·
The headlights are not aimed too high - what you are experiencing is the major improvement over halogen lamps - the LED is a different color temperature and reach much further in front of the vehicle. This is especially noticeable when it is raining at night and you are out in the sticks - the lane lines will also be more visible in those conditions as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.