Originally Posted by nitely
Hats off to the OP.
Hope it works out fine.
Definitely a huge undertaking. Something I don't want to be contemplating in attempting until I reach 200K + miles on my MO. Isn't it the reason we do all the preventive/over maintenance to avoid just this?
Good luck dude.
Thanks. And to answer your question, yes. The preventative maintenance will probably get you at least as far as the motor I had to pull out got to, 215K. I think given my knowledge of the previous owner who is one of my wife's very close friends, I consider the fact that it got to 215 a slight miracle in itself.
Tonight was spent cleaning. The explosion of the passenger axle had left some thick grease on the subframe and it has completely coated the inside of that wheel. I'll have to pull the wheel off and clean it separately this weekend.
So I wanted to show what the actual vehicle looked like instead of random shots of the engine bay.
This is what was given to me. Overall, it's quite clean inside except for a problem with the drivers seat. It has a missing piece of leather on the side, like someone did a skin graft and used the entire side of my seat as the donor. Regardless, the outside is dirty but should clean up fine.
Had to pull it out to start cleaning the gunk off the subframe.
Gunk on the subframe. It's a pretty old wound on the axle so the stuff is like glue at this point. It mocks any degreaser you throw at it, so I used an old standby. Fast Orange with a hard nylon brush. Not too worried about the paint in the engine bay so the abrasive quality of the Fast Orange was not a concern.
So I'm looking at the tranny. The motor I got came off a FWD, but of course I have an AWD tranny. The five red circles represent the bolts that go into the motor from the tranny side. The bottom bolts go motor side into the tranny. One issue is that the far right bolt is covered by the transmission/transfer case. I believe, and if I'm wrong and anyone knows, pipe up, that in place of this bolt is a connecting bracket.
This bracket. It looks like this bracket takes the load of that missing/covered bolt when an AWD tranny is used.
I did find a use for the broken exhaust part.
It makes a near perfect tire stop.
As of now, it's sitting out in the driveway, no motor, no hood, wires everywhere. I wanted it out of the garage so I could work on the motor and swapping the transmission which is my goal this weekend. I have to go pick up my KA24 motor from the machine shop in the morning, the wife is getting sick, and my daughter has been going ballistic the last 2 days, so if I get the tranny swapped this weekend, I'll consider it a victory. More to follow as events unfold.