05 Murano project: engine swap - Page 4 - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
#46 Old 11-19-2012, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by broxma View Post
So, until Tuesday, rejoice in my abject and complete frustration.

/brox

I hate to laugh at someone else's misfortunes, but your last line went right to my funnybone.

Best of luck,
njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#47 Old 11-19-2012, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
What are you using to hold the CVT in place? I hope you're not trying to pick up the CVT and hold it place or anything. Should be some kind of tranny hoist you can use.
Interestingly, if you just lift the motor up a few inches the tranny slides right up to it. There is a Nissan Special tool you can use to level the transmission apparently, but I have no intention on buying any of them. No the problem is entirely in the input shaft area. It lines up rather perfectly on the floor.

/brox
#48 Old 11-21-2012, 05:25 AM

Progress. So the two oil seals I ordered Friday came in today. I only need one but quickly needed two so I was glad I ordered two.

So this is the seal. Standard issue oil seal similar to a rear main or crank seal. The busted up seal is actually the first one of the two I just got. As you can see, it is no longer serviceable. I installed it and promptly destroyed it trying to get the transmission aligned. This is why.

So these are the tangs that drive the oil pump in the tranny. These two shysters go into...

Those two slots back there. Of course lining up those when neither the motor nor the tranny sit level is difficult. I took 4 stabs at trying to level the tangs with the slots before I had to replace seal #1. Part of the problem is...

The two independently turning input shafts. So in addition to the tangs, which you can't level, you have to stab in both of these shafts, which turn independently of one another. In addition, the female part, in the torque converter, doesn't stay centered. It has wiggle room in the converter so it falls with gravity and doesn't like to move up.

So I came up with a solution of which I have no pictures. I removed the torque converter from the flex plate, and put it on the tranny. Since the torque converter would then be forced to be centered, all I had to do was line up the 4 mounting studs on the torque converter with the holes on the flex plate. I figured, since my problem was getting the torque converter engaged in the tranny, I'd cut out the middle step and start with the converter in place. getting the studs lined up was easy because 1) I could see at least one of them through the inspection hole and 2) I could turn the crank to locate them. After I replaced Oil seal #3, the tranny went on with some relative ease, relative to the PITA it had been thus far, and I ended up with...

Transfer case is back on and I starting to put the motor mounts and other random bits back on.

Another shot. You can see the one bolt holding the transfer case one that sits behind the rear motor mount. You might also notice the rear header has been taken off. The transfer case won't go on with it in place so I removed it. Then I ran into the problem.

The header is for a FWD Altima. It's not expecting a transfer case. So the collector flange hits the case and will need to be ground away to clear. Not a big deal, but it was 1;00 am and I didn't want to turn the air compressor on and wake the baby. I'll fix it tomorrow and the motor should be ready to drop back in. I had one other problem tonight...

That's not a fashion statement, that's tranny fluid. The transfer case leaked out the shaft input right down my jeans, soaking them to the skin and down into my boots. An odd sensation to say the least.

So other than a nasty load of laundry and some grinding on the flange, I should be ready to go. The hope is to have this running by this weekend which seems totally realistic, but who knows with this thing.

/brox
#49 Old 11-21-2012, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Just a heads up on the transfer case if it was removed from the CVT. Its known to get leaks on the seals between the CVT and TC. So its good to change the seals and be careful in putting it back together. My understanding is that there is a part there that is really slim and could easily displace the seal placement during reassembly. The right and left axle seals should also be replaced which is also prone to leaks. Good luck.

How about the old header?
#50 Old 11-29-2012, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
So what's going on here? No work on your MO in 8 days? Getting anxious over here. Need more pics!

After 142K miles, my MO is history. Now sporting a loaded silver 2012 Ford Edge Limited with 20" wheels.
#51 Old 11-29-2012, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

broxma-

EXCELLENT POST!!

Thank you so very much for the photos and narrative. It is rare for us to see the MO's VQ and CVT in all it's glory outside the engine bay.

I especially appreciated the up-close look at the seals. Now I understand why they sometimes leak after being replaced by the dealer. Apparently the design does not take into account the assembly process.

After reading your excellent write-up I just had to laugh at the narrative that accompanied your final photo. Odd sensation??

Good luck.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM iPod interface
-Muth signal mirrors
#52 Old 11-30-2012, 04:47 PM

I second Njjoe's comments. Thanks for your efforts!

A friend of mine and I had a good laugh at the last picture as well.

After 142K miles, my MO is history. Now sporting a loaded silver 2012 Ford Edge Limited with 20" wheels.
#53 Old 12-06-2012, 10:37 AM

Man I really hope we see this thread resolve. Would suck if we're left hanging.

BTW...all of the photos in this thread are hosted somewhere else. Is there any way we can get them pulled in and saved in this forum. If the pictures expire on the outside site then they will disappear here. I've noticed this on other threads and would hate to see it happen to this one.

#54 Old 01-11-2013, 02:41 AM

Not left hanging.

I had to take an extended break from working on the Murano due to holiday schedule, baby and other various things that came up. As it sits, the motor is back in, the headers are on after much modification. I have wires to plug in, put the intake back on, a few other things and it should be finished. I just have not put the time into working on it as of late.

I got out in the garage last night and extended the front O2 wires because the sensor I got was way to short. I have a few issues I'm dealing with in the wiring department but nothing that can't be managed. I broke the sensor on the rear motor mount so I'm going to simulate it with the front one. I am yet to reconnect the axles or driveshaft because once I do, I'll be unable to move the car around. In reality, if I buckled down I could have it done in a weekend, but I've been lazy.

Update will probably be forthcoming sometime this weekend.

/brox
#55 Old 01-11-2013, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

b-

Thanks for the update.

If I lived in your neighborhood I would be knocking at your door with wrenches in one hand and a beverage of your choice in the other.

Good luck with the rest of the project.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM iPod interface
-Muth signal mirrors
#56 Old 01-11-2013, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks for the update Broxma.

I check the forum a few times a day to see if there are updates to this thread (and others, but this one is top of my list right now)

#57 Old 01-16-2013, 05:54 PM

WOOHOO!!! Thank goodness I'm wrong on this one. There have been some fantastic threads in this forum that all of the sudden just STOP with no resolution. Same situation on other forums across the internet.

Will start watching this one again with much interest.

#58 Old 01-20-2013, 12:24 AM

So you shall get to relive the entire experience again.

I finished getting the motor installed, fluids, everything buttoned up except the header collector pipe. I started the Murano tonight with the help of my friend Rich.

After a few tries it fired right up. It was obviously loud as hell given that it was running an open exhaust straight out of the headers. And then, we noticed the problem. The problem that basically means I have to do it all over again.

There is NS-2 transmission fluid leaking from the bottom of the bellhousing. I believe I know what the issue is but basically, it means I have to pull the motor and transmission again, and fix it.

Onto an important question. I know there is a guy on these forums who is a Master Nissan Tech or something. I need to talk to him. When I replaced the torque convertor seal I had to go through several attempts to finish that job. Looking at the parts break down for that section, located here...

311 Torque Converter,Housing & Case :: Power Train :: Genuine Nissan Parts :: Murano Parts (Z51) 2009-2012 :: Nissan Parts, NISMO and Nissan Accessories - Courtesyparts.com

I see two seals there. One of them, 31344Y, is the seal I installed. But the diagram also shows an O-ring, 31411E which I did not see or replace. I believe this is the problem. I never saw any O-ring come out when I removed the transmission, and when I asked the Nissan place near my house about they didn't know, because the parts guys are generally idiots.

So if someone could point me to the member who is a Tech and might have some insight on this matter please help a brother out.

Other than the leak at the tranny, the motor seems to run well. Almost every light on the cluster is on however, and I have no idea why. The "Slip" light is on, VCD off" is on, the ABS light is on which is odd since I didn't touch the brakes at all. None of these were on before I started this so I'll be tracking those issues down. As it stands, I am again in the process of finding the motivation to yank the motor and replace this mystery seal I never knew about.

/brox
#59 Old 01-20-2013, 02:02 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
There are 2 nissan tech residents and one of them is Turbizzy. Maybe you can PM him. The other guy... can't remember his name. Good luck.
#60 Old 01-20-2013, 02:22 PM

Thanks. I found Izzy last night with the help of a friend and have sent him an email. I'm waiting to hear back on the story with the seals at the TC. In the meantime I am doing nothing because I am so unmotivated at the moment due to the surge of work these last 3 days. I'll get it figured out and write up some final reports in a bit.

/brox

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: