Bosch Icon Wiper Blades - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#1 Old 02-03-2013, 08:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Bosch Icon Wiper Blades

I replaced OEM wiper blades with Bosch Icon after reading some pretty good reviews. Here's what I found:

They work very well in rain. Clean the windshield well, and are very smooth and quiet.

They are NOT the blade you want in the winter. In snow and sleet, ice builds up on the blades and you find yourself with huge areas that you can't see through. I have had to stop repeatedly and remove the ice from these blades.

For that reason, I would not recommend them for folks living in climates where snow and ice are common. I feel they are a definite safety issue during winter.

These were not inexpensive. I paid $21.00/blade at Autozone. I am going to the dealer this week and buy the OEM blades and put those back on. They were much better in snow.

2012 SL AWD Tinted Bronze
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-03-2013, 08:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I run Bosch Icons on my Murano and have not seen any more issues on snowy days (Upstate New York) then I would have seen with the OEM blades. Lots of snow and ice can cause headaches regardless of blade brand. Anyway, I'll stick with the Icons as they are very good.

eeeee
#3 Old 02-03-2013, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Agree with Bill. Been using the Icons for a couple of years and they're the best all around wipers I have ever used. When ice builds up on the windshield it's going to stick to the blade no matter what brand I've used in the past. Every spring I put on a new pair, but haven't changed the rear one yet since I don't use it much. Anyone change the rear? I heard its a challenge to do.

2009 LE Blue w/tan
Nav
Nissan LED DRLs
Blue Interior LEDs
Stainless Bumper
Hoen Fogs
Weathertechs
Sickspeed Horns
Side Mirror Signals
Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs
#4 Old 02-03-2013, 11:11 AM

What I've found is the design on the OEM blades is much better in the winter. I did get some build-up, but not to the extent that I have with the Icons. They are really causing me problems.

I'm not going to throw them away, they are good blades for Summer usage. I'll probably put them on in the Summer, and run the OEMs in the winter. That way, I'll get a couple years of use and not have wasted $42 + tax on them.

Just cautioning folks to be aware that you are probably going to get ice build-up on the Icons.

#5 Old 02-03-2013, 12:28 PM

That doesn't make sense. It depends on the weather conditions, not the blade. The Icon lays flat against the blade like the Oem. Tell me what is attracting the ice to build up more the Icon. When ice builds up you have to get it off before you use it anyway. Ice is going to build up no matter what and its how the blade performs that counts. To say these blades somehow attract more ice and snow is absurd. But hey, that's just my logical opinion.

2009 LE Blue /tan
Nav
Nissan LED DRLs
Blue Interior LEDs
Stainless Bumper
Weathertechs
Hoen Fogs
Sickspeed Horns
Side Mirror Signals
Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs
#6 Old 02-03-2013, 05:44 PM

It's the way the blades are made. They are a bit flimsy and have a "cupped" area which attracts the moisture and ice and it builds up to the point where the blade stops cleaning the window. Then you have to break this loose for them to make proper contact.

The OEM blades are much more substantial, and while ice will build up on them, they don't lose contact to the windshield like the Icons. Capice?

#7 Old 02-03-2013, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinky19 View Post
That doesn't make sense. It depends on the weather conditions, not the blade. The Icon lays flat against the blade like the Oem. Tell me what is attracting the ice to build up more the Icon. When ice builds up you have to get it off before you use it anyway. Ice is going to build up no matter what and its how the blade performs that counts. To say these blades somehow attract more ice and snow is absurd. But hey, that's just my logical opinion.

......X2

eeeee
#8 Old 02-03-2013, 07:46 PM

Well, now that you explained it so scientifically, it all makes perfect sense. NOT!!:eek:

2009 LE Blue w/tan
Nav
Nissan LED DRLs
Blue Interior LEDs
Stainless Bumper
Weathertechs
Hoen Fogs
Sickspeed Horns
Side Mirror Signals
Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs
#9 Old 02-04-2013, 06:31 AM

Whatever, guys.

But for the rest of you sensible folks, the Icons are a much more flexible blade than the OEMs, which have a pretty stiff, substantial blade. This allows the Icons to do a nice job removing rain, but also allows ice build up to change the profile of the blade and keep it from cleaning the windshield. That's where the OEMs have a distinct advantage, they continue to contact the windshield.

#10 Old 02-04-2013, 03:21 PM

Day after the Superbowl, I have to throw a flag on you

2009 LE Blue w/tan
Nav
Nissan LED DRLs
Blue Interior LEDs
Stainless Bumper
Weathertechs
Hoen Fogs
Sickspeed Horns
Side Mirror Signals
Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs
#11 Old 02-05-2013, 02:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Hey, I understand what he's saying. The internal metal/frame structure of some blades creates areas where ice buildup can occur. When that happens, the blade doesn't flex and does a crappy job of sweeping the glass. It's not a matter of the blade freezing to the windshield, it's the flexing parts behind the blade that I've had trouble with.

Dedicated winter blades often have a rubber cover over the entire blade support structure so that ice can't form on the metal parts and keep the blade from flexing.

It makes perfect sense to me.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
#12 Old 02-05-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
Hey, I understand what he's saying. The internal metal/frame structure of some blades creates areas where ice buildup can occur. When that happens, the blade doesn't flex and does a crappy job of sweeping the glass. It's not a matter of the blade freezing to the windshield, it's the flexing parts behind the blade that I've had trouble with.

Dedicated winter blades often have a rubber cover over the entire blade support structure so that ice can't form on the metal parts and keep the blade from flexing.

It makes perfect sense to me.
Pilgrim, I am glad you understand as I do not.......
Fact is the Bosch Icons do not have a metal frame. Again NO frame, there is no, as you call it support structure. There is nothing that a rubber cover would need to cover on a Bosch Icon. Anyway, we have beaten this pony to death. All I know is I live where it snows (Upstate, NY, snows almost double per year more then in West Virginia) and I can tell you the Bosch Icons are not as the original poster, Halwg paints them. The Bosch Icons work just as well as the OEM blades if not better. Again ice, snow and frigid temps are a wipers enemy regardless of the brand / design of wiper. In closing the Bosch Icon is not bad at all in Winter and is quite the blade in the Summer ..... rain.

eeeee
#13 Old 02-05-2013, 03:56 PM

Very well said, Bill

2009 LE blue w/tan
Nav
Nissan LED DRLs
Blue Interior LEDs
Stainless Bumper
Weathertechs
Hoen Fogs
Sickspeed Horns
Side Mirror Signals
Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs
#14 Old 02-05-2013, 03:59 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
I'm not running the Icons at present - not sure whether I ever have.

My dad was good at keeping up with cars but his economical little heart just wouldn't let him change wiper blades often. I've seen more than one of his cars with shreds coming off the blades. Yeesh. R.I.P.

But I compensate by changing blades whenever I see them start to miss spots. If I change them annually or even earlier, I'm not bothered by it. Over time, I'll probably go through most wiper blade brands other than the real cheapos.

I do think the design of the wiper arms on the Murano SUCKS. There's no excuse for having wiper arms that I can't flip up completely to clear the windshield. That went out in the 1970's. That driver's side wiper arm is a stinking piece of design that should have been re-done.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
#15 Old 02-05-2013, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post

I do think the design of the wiper arms on the Murano SUCKS. There's no excuse for having wiper arms that I can't flip up completely to clear the windshield. That went out in the 1970's. That driver's side wiper arm is a stinking piece of design that should have been re-done.
I believe this was redone for the second gens. I can flip up the front arms to clean my windshield and apply rainx. However I think it's comical the size difference in the arms. Drivers is like a 26 inch blade and passenger is a 16 or 18.

2010 Murano SL AWD

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: