Hitch Threads - Page 3 - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #31 of 48 Old 01-12-2011, 11:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
That's a picture of the 1st gen MO's OEM hitch setup. Here's an aftermarket setup for a 2nd gen MO. Looks just as good as the OEM setup as far as I'm concerned. And I'm picky!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2nd gen MO hitch.JPG
Views:	516
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	16353  

After 142K miles, my MO is history. Now sporting a loaded silver 2012 Ford Edge Limited with 20" wheels.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 48 Old 01-12-2011, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Picture of Nissan hitch on my 2011 Murano LE. Wish the pic was better but it does give you an idea..

eeeee
post #33 of 48 Old 01-12-2011, 11:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillArf View Post
Picture of Nissan hitch on my 2011 Murano LE. Wish the pic was better but it does give you an idea..

Bill,

Do you actually tow something or just use for a bike rack? If bike rack, what type did you get? What was the total installation cost from Nissan?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 48 Old 01-13-2011, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmymac View Post
Bill,

Do you actually tow something or just use for a bike rack? If bike rack, what type did you get? What was the total installation cost from Nissan?

Thanks!
Well, I haven't towed anything yet but will be towing a small trailer with my Harley on it. Total loaded weight of trailer will be about 2,000+- lbs.

As far as cost of this hitch... Well, I worked out a very good deal with a dealership in regard to the Murano I wanted to purchase. I had done my homework so to speak and negotiated a decent price. Anyway, at the very last minute in the buying process with this dealer I used their $ figures and found another dealer that would match that price plus throw in, installed, both the Nissan daylight running lights and the Nissan hitch with Nissan wiring harness. I knew all along I would try to get a dealership to throw the add ons in. (I told the second dealer if they wanted the sale that was the only way I would walk away from the competing Nissan dealer across the river) Things just fell in to position for me on my Murano purchase. To repeat I did get a very good price on my Murano LE plus got the add ons thrown in.

What would I have done if the dealer had not thrown in the add ons. My plan was to buy an inexpensive after market hitch and install it myself. As for the wiring harness I would have bought the Nissan harness and had the selling Nissan dealership install it.. WHY.. well, if a Nissan dealership installs a Nissan part you get warranty coverage on the install, part and if issues occurred down the road. I wanted the plus of having the harness (electrical) covered under the Nissan new vehicle warranty. This way there would be no chance of a dealership ever saying I messed with the stock vehicles wiring and that is why I was having a problem with the chance of warranty issues.

eeeee
post #35 of 48 Old 03-10-2011, 01:29 PM
Qat

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The Hidden Hitch (87846), Draw-Tite (75647) and Reece (44600) are identical to the one pictured in Warhammer's post above. In fact, you'll see all three numbers, and a UHaul number, listed on the installation instructions for any of them.

A lot of folks buy from eTrailer.com - which has excellent prices. I found the Reece on Amazon.com for $128/free shipping, and a local shop will install for $40 (hitch only).

Hidden Hitch at eTrailer

Draw-Tite at eTrailer

at Amazon

2010 SL Tinted Bronze/Beige | Leather | Premium | 360°
LED DRLs | Interior LEDs | Aluminum Pedals | All Weather Mats & Cargo Liner | Fumoto Oil Drain Valve | Reese Hitch
post #36 of 48 Old 03-18-2011, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
The Hidden Hitch I purchased from Etrailer arrived in very poor form. The driver's side arm was misaligned, mounting holes would not match up to existing weld nuts on frame.
I had a similar issue with a Valley Industries hitch. Their long arms coupled with their weight make them prone to damage if dropped.

I used a hydraulic jack and a piece of 4x4 lumber to bend the hitch back into shape.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum (Retired)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
-Air Helper Springs

Replaced with 2013 BMW x5d
and 1973 MGB
post #37 of 48 Old 03-18-2011, 03:51 PM
Qat

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I got the Reese hitch from amazon.com a few days ago - the packaging was poor, just as others have complained about with the Hidden Hitch and Draw-Tite hitches. Basically it was loose in a flimsy cardboard box that was about a foot too long. Fortunately there was no damage in shipping - nothing bent and no scratches.

I was planning to get a local shop to install for me, but I'm feeling impatient. So I might get The Daughter's boyfriend to come over and help, and have a few beers with him as a thank you (after the installation of course). :-)

EDIT:

I was too impatient to roust out The Daughter's boyfriend, so this morning I crawled under the back of the MO and looked at doing the job on my own. It took me about half an hour, not counting looking around to assess the situation and then gathering the appropriate tools. As a previous poster mentioned, with the Gen 2, at least, lowering the exhaust is not necessary. It was easy enough to slip the hitch in under the bumper cover and get it in place.

The Reese hitch comes with a chrome collar, which is an optional install. Since the receiver was conspicuous anyway, I thought the chrome collar would go nicely with the exhaust tips.

2010 SL Tinted Bronze/Beige | Leather | Premium | 360°
LED DRLs | Interior LEDs | Aluminum Pedals | All Weather Mats & Cargo Liner | Fumoto Oil Drain Valve | Reese Hitch
post #38 of 48 Old 09-17-2014, 03:13 PM

Could someone post a copy of the Nissan Installation Guide for the 2004 MO SSE please?
Thanks,
Brian
post #39 of 48 Old 09-17-2014, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9z2-87f_rM

And there are some pictures in this thread:
Murano Trailer Hitch Question : Murano Forum

DO NOT use anything but the factory trailer hitch wiring harness when you install a hitch. You can order it from Courtesy parts and you'll be happy you did.

2008 BMW E91 328xi Sportwagon
2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #40 of 48 Old 09-17-2014, 09:36 PM

Thanks Pilgrim. Your reply was very helpful.
Cheers,
Brian
post #41 of 48 Old 09-18-2014, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
DO NOT use anything but the factory trailer hitch wiring harness when you install a hitch. You can order it from Courtesy parts and you'll be happy you did.
Gotta 2nd this, and I've never used the OEM piece in any of my tow vehicles before the Murano. There's a serious design flaw in the Curt harness that causes your trailer running lights to only work about 1/2 the time. I went through 2 of them before I got my voltmeter out and realized they weren't even monitoring the right output on the factory harness. Emails about what I found went to Curt and were ignored. Put the OEM Nissan part in years ago and it has worked flawlessly since.

If you live in salt country I would suggest making a little change to the OEM wire routing suggestion though and just route the 4 wire plug into the trunk. When not in use keep it in the spare tire well and when you want to use it just pull it out and shut it in the door, taking care that the wire avoids the latch. This way you don't end up with a rusted and useless plug after your first couple winters. I added a 2 foot extension to mine in case repeatedly shutting it in the door eventually breaks a wire. If it does I'll just unplug it and plug in a new 2 foot extension. 3+ years and it hasn't failed yet though.
post #42 of 48 Old 09-18-2014, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I have installed a Reese hitch and wiring harness from etrailer.com on my 06 and everything is good, no problem with wiring or anything, install is easy enough to do without help but 2 extra hands will be a plus, I'll post a pic later... Don't know how post pics from my phone jeje
post #43 of 48 Old 09-18-2014, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
I think the issue happens when you plug that etrailer harness wiring onto the trailer you are pulling. The trailer lights may only work half the time. Some com problem between the aftermarket harness and the MOs electrical system.
post #44 of 48 Old 09-18-2014, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Garage
I just had a Curt hitch installed today and it's quite visible with the round horizontal tube hanging below the bumper. My shop where I had 3 other hitches installed before no longer sells Hidden Hitch due to premature rusting.

'14 SL Pearl White.Hood deflector, beige rubber floor mats, ss rear bumper protector. Curt hitch. Wheel locks. Blizzak DM-V1 245/70/17 w/steelies & wheel covers . Chrome rear license frame. Lower a/c rad aluminium diamond mesh grille. Wide angle blind spot mirror driver's side. Cargo protector (2 36"X55" brown carpet). Soundproofed. Cargo net. LED front parking & doors, cargo, fogs, backup. Bosch Icon & winter wipers w/springs. Seat covers. Conti LX20. Cross bars.
post #45 of 48 Old 03-19-2015, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I checked on the U-Haul site to see how much a trailer hitch would cost for our new 2015 Murano and was told that U-Haul doesn't have one yet, but would make me one for free, including installation. All I have to do was to deliver my car to their research and development facility in Tempe Arizona and leave it with them for three days!

I guess this is how they develop trailer hitches for new cars. They wait until someone is willing to lend them a car for a few days, then figure out how to manufacture the hitch, and then late make it available to their dealers.

This is not practical for me as I am in Canada, but for anyone who has a 2015 Murano in the Tempe area, this sounds like a good deal.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: