Nissan Murano Forum banner

Rear sensors

55K views 101 replies 43 participants last post by  meccanoble 
#1 ·
Hey MO Gurus:

Anyone know if the 04 MO has rear sensors available as an option? They don't appear on Nissan's website, and I'm inclined to believe they are not offered. However, while perusing the WAAG site, I noticed a disclaimer on the rear bumperguard saying that the guard was not compatible with rear sensors. So I'm wondering if that was just a generic disclaimer or if WAAG knows something that doesn't (yet) appear on the Nissan site. If the sensors aren't offered, anyone know of a good aftermarket alternative?

Thanks in advance!

#27 ·
#28 ·
So in everyone's opinion do you think that the AutoPark serves its purpose well? How far away does it beep? Where did you mount the speaker?

Thanks!

#30 ·
Hey Sim ,thanks for the link. I was thinking about getting these for my MO if they have them in black. Would be a nice install along with XM since most of the wire routing to the front of the car would be in the same path.

Anyone have installation pictures suggestions?

#31 ·
#32 ·
Despite the price breaks for DIY, I still consider my ~$500 well spent. Although I could have spent about $100 just for the system and installed it myself, I would have been pretty nervous. My Murano was less than a week old, and the prospect of cutting into it without having done the job before was a bit much for me to take. So it was worth the extra $400 to me to have an expert do it. To me, it was money spent on someone else's expertise and experience. Plus, if there was a screw up, I had someone else to blame (and pay for corrections!).

#36 ·
#37 ·
Since I dont want to pay lots of $$$ for the labor in installling

the backup sensor in the rear bumper, i installed this autpoark sensor and still think it is a much better alternative :
Autopark sensor

It served its purpose: detect small children, bicycle, low cement wall, and sedan's bumper when parallel parking. Anything that seats too low to be seen from the rear window is detectable by this stuff.

It is pretty darn easy to install.
And it is removable to another future vehicle of yours in case trade in the murano for another suv.

I was planning to install rear backup camera just like the rx330, but again too much work. Could not come up with clean (and cheap ) install solution on where to mount the additional lcd.

#38 ·
Thanks for the update SugarRushMO. Any result yet on false alarms and the distance of the objects detected especially at the extremities of the rear bumper?

#39 ·
I placed an order for the Autopark.
Thanks Sugar rush.

Homer

#40 ·
Well, the AutoPark 2000 arrived today (for some reason it's marked SmartPark 2000). Anyway, still trying to figure out how to hook it up. According to SugarRush, it's an easy install. Don't think it's going to be easy for me. The directions say it should not take more than 20 minutes for a PROFESSIONAL to install! Being mechanically challenged, I'll probably have this up and running in about a month.

#41 ·
CopperKat.. let me know if you need help/tips on

how to install it.

Basically you need to remove the rear hatch interior plastic panel.
Then you need to fish the cable from outside in.
I did it by bringing the cable through the gap that exist in between the rear hatch handle. This gap will be visible if you removed the interior body panel. Make sure that the handle spring mechanism not chaffing this cable.

After you managed to bring in the cable, wire it by splicing to the rear backup light : power and ground.
Do you have the service manual?
I can look it up for you if you need to know the cable color code.

Any one need some pictures? I will try to take some.

#42 ·
SugarRush, I could use those pictures posted anyway, b/c I've considered tapping that same line for power for a backup camera.

#43 ·
EasternPA said:
SugarRush, I could use those pictures posted anyway, b/c I've considered tapping that same line for power for a backup camera.
I'd be interested in this as well.

#46 ·
Yikes, i forget ...my apology..

I will try to take pictures before this weekend... ;)

#48 ·
You're welcome.. BUT

bare in mind that the in-bumper backup sensor is far superior in terms of:
- sensitivity
- accuracy
- and coverage (as there are 4 sensors instead of one like the autopark).
- cleaner look

Yet, because of :
- difficulties of self install and the need of a body shop to drill through the bumper, do the wiring etc.
- economy: the autopark serve my need for cheaper $$$
I went ahead and quite satisfied with the autopark sensor...

#49 ·
I used the Auto Park 2000 mounted on rear license plate, Works Great. Installation is a snap cost is way cheap. GRIP :D

#50 ·
Grip, I was wondering, have you done any mods to your MO??
:runaway:

GripperDon
04, Polished Pewter, Black Leather
Touring Package, AutoMate, X-Tire
Chrome SL Wheels, Rack/CrossBars
Stainless Steel Laser Cut Billet Grill
Pressure Pro, TPMS. Shiny Red Calipers
XM SAT, Roady2 via Aux In.
IPOD / Custom mount, Aux In.
Rear Mounted, PAC Aux Unit.
VCommand All Talk Nav. Sys.
IR Backup + Rear Camera
Splash Guards, Floor Mats
Diamond Tint, Cargo Protector
Debadged, Head End Blue/Silver Bulbs.
Hard Wired Muting Speaker Cell kit.
Glass + VIN Etched.
Fog Lamp Driver selectable DTRL.
DVD In!, Darkened Tail Lamps Comming.
Looking for really neat Ideas?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.