Newly Released: Philips D2S X-tremeVision +50% Xenon Bulb - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#1 Old 01-04-2013, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lightbulb Newly Released: Philips D2S X-tremeVision +50% Xenon Bulb

Phillips has introduced the world's first +50% (performance) xenon bulb, the D2S X-tremeVision (model # 85122XVS1). Just like the similar "plus"-type (ultra high efficacy) halogen offerings (technical explanation here), these should be legitimately more intense ("brighter") than standard HID bulbs. But because they're new, I haven't been able to find much info on them except this PDF.

The following is from an automotive lighting expert I polled:
Quote:
CCT [correlated color temperature] is specified as 4800K (vs. nominal 4100K to 4300K depending whose numbers you like for the standard D2). My guess is the "+50%" claim is probably based similarly to those claims for high-spec halogen bulbs: tighter focus, higher luminance, and running at the high end of the allowable luminous flux specification so that you get up to 50% greater intensity at the high-intensity zone of the beam pattern. [Unlike high-spec halogen bulbs,] I don't think lifespan would be materially less. It would surprise me if this is a lameware product that doesn't live up to the claims; Philips doesn't generally do that.
The downside is that I haven't found any vendors in the US. They're for sale in a few places in Europe (for example on
Amazon in Germany Amazon in Germany
). And none of the international merchants I've found are willing to ship to the US.

Anyway, when I see something new, I'll update!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-04-2013, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Sounds great if it's legit.

2007 Nissan Murano SL - Platinum
| Nav | Backup Cam | HID | Bose | Leather | Tint | K&N Filter | Custom CF Grille | 22" KMC's on Nitto's | H&R Springs |

#3 Old 12-08-2013, 04:57 PM

PowerBulbs has the 85122's for ~$163/bulb with free worldwide shipping. When it's time to replace my bulbs, these are the ones I'll get.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	S1_D2S-XenonXV_460_460.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	20930  

2006 SL AWD - Platinum
#4 Old 12-08-2013, 05:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Phatty, the luminance and intensity may be greater, but the focus is unlikely to be different, as that depends primarily on the reflector and the lens of the light.

There may be a gain, but it's not a cheap one. You can buy some pretty darn high quality lighting instruments for $163 each. Of course, that may be a solution better suited for high beams. With low beams, you're pretty well limited to the installed headlight enclosures.

I'm delighted with the Hella 500's I have on the front end of my Murano for high beam augmentation. Driving the western US at night, they're wonderful.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
#5 Old 12-26-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
Phatty, the luminance and intensity may be greater, but the focus is unlikely to be different, as that depends primarily on the reflector and the lens of the light.
Not correct, at least according to lighting experts. I know you meant well, but data-supported assertions by experts trumps unsubstantiated opinions.

2006 SL AWD - Platinum

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: