Pennsylvania Law involving Tinting of head lights, tail light, and front windows - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 11 Old 03-23-2006, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Angry Pennsylvania Law involving Tinting of head lights, tail light, and front windows

Below is something I found on a "ask a cop site in PA"

Q: Are using tinted headlight and tail light covers legal to drive with on the road, also what is the maximum window tint allowed on a vehicle registered in Pennsylvania. Any answers you could give would be appreciated. -Steve

A: Tinted light covers (headlight or taillight) are not legal for on–road use in Pennsylvania. If you check the packaging of these items, they will have a disclaimer that states they are for “off-road use” and recommending “check local laws before use”.

The maximum tint allowed on a passenger cars front windshield and side windows must allow a 70% light transmittance. Trucks and Multi-purpose passenger vehicles (SUV’s) have the same requirement on the front and front side windows, but can be tinted on the rear and rear side windows.

To give you an idea on what 70% light transmittance looks like – if you can look at a window and immediately see it is tinted, the tint is likely illegal. (Title 75 Chapter 41 (Section 4301 & 4303) & Title 67 (Chapter 153 & 175.66))

http://www.doylestownpa.org/police/html/askacop.htm

======================================

... and there goes my plans to tint everything!

Years ago a friend of mine tinted his front windows himself with that crap you can get from pepboys (the film) and while driving in PA (I-95) he was pulled over, and the Philly cop handed him a razor blade and said if you don't want to have your car towed you must now remove the tinting before I'll let you drive your car. The cop waited until he finished before leaving.

So in PA if your front windows, head lights or tail lights are tinted, you might end up watching your car be towed away as unsafe to drive.

Anyone on here every stopped because of the tinting on your car??? (what state?)

Ever stopped and the cop say nothing about your tinting??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-23-2006, 07:08 PM

I believe it's quite similar in Michigan. A few years back a cop clocked me ay way above the limit in my Taurus SHO and chose to give me a ticket for illegal tint on front windows instead of a speeding ticket. I had to take the tint film off to get out of paying the fine. The car never looked the same again.

03 (White/Tan) SL AWD NAV
post #3 of 11 Old 03-24-2006, 01:54 AM

i live in new jersey.. and it's illegal to tint the front windows.. but the thing i dont get is.. i know alot of jersey cops.. and they have limo (or even darker) tint on their front windows.. that really annoys me..

"Never Satisfied"
K-Mart 6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 03-24-2006, 02:45 AM
Super Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by HotSamNCheese
i live in new jersey.. and it's illegal to tint the front windows.. but the thing i dont get is.. i know alot of jersey cops.. and they have limo (or even darker) tint on their front windows.. that really annoys me..
HotSamNCheese-

I, too, live in New Jersey and have seen many unmarked police cars with heavily tinted windows. My neighbor is a State Trooper with a take-home unmarked Durango. With the exception of the windshield, all the windows are heavily tinted. I believe that is to prevent other drivers from seeing a uniformed officer in the driver seat. Very stealthy.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum (Retired)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
-Air Helper Springs

Replaced with 2013 BMW x5d
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and 1973 MGB
post #5 of 11 Old 03-24-2006, 07:53 AM
Super Senior Member

My stepson had an experience similar to your friends, Margatenj. Only he had his windows professionally tinted and had certification that they were legal. In North Carolina. He was stopped by a trooper in Florida. When he showed the trooper the certification, that just seemed to make the trooper angry. Same deal. He told my stepson to take off all the tint before the car could be moved. He also stated that ALL tint is illegal in Florida.

After he finished removing the tint, my stepson pointed to the trooper's car and asked "Is that 30 or 50?" The trooper's windows were tinted.

I have found over the years that, in the main, law enforcement people believe that their job is to enforce the law, not comply with it (almost a direct quote of a Charlotte officer).
post #6 of 11 Old 03-24-2006, 09:40 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to mgthe3
I won't EVEN begin commenting on Charlotte officers......

Tint is obviously ticketed on whim....everywhere.

2010 Titan Crewcab XE

had an 07 S Brilliant Silver
had an 04 SL Sheer Silver
post #7 of 11 Old 03-24-2006, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

in Philadelphia I've known city cops that hated other city and or state police - it would be interesting to know if they'd give each other tickets/tow for their tinting.

so, if you're thinking of buying / installing a mod to your car and the packaging states "for off road use only" - and even if its legal in your own state ... unless you plan to never leave your home state - you might end up having to remove it or end up being towed ... this truly sucks!

I have a black mo and I wanted to make hard to find at night
post #8 of 11 Old 03-24-2006, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by UncaDanno
He was stopped by a trooper in Florida. When he showed the trooper the certification, that just seemed to make the trooper angry. Same deal. He told my stepson to take off all the tint before the car could be moved. He also stated that ALL tint is illegal in Florida.
UncaDanno-

While I feel for your step-son, I can understand the cop not respecting the compliance certificate provided by the tinting outfit. The tinting companies are not regulated and can put whatever they want on the piece of paper. The certificate is basically worthless.

Modders with heavily tinted glass who are driving around with a compliance certificate in the glove box thinking they have nothing to worry about are in for a rude awakening.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum (Retired)

-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
-Air Helper Springs

Replaced with 2013 BMW x5d
and 1973 MGB
post #9 of 11 Old 03-24-2006, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

inspection problems?

Anyone ever have trouble getting their modified murano inspected?
post #10 of 11 Old 03-25-2006, 04:28 PM
Super Senior Member

Send a message via AIM to milgrad
I live in PA and have had the front windows on my Pathfinder and both Murano's tinted to match the back windows...no problems as of yet...no problems with getting the vehicle inspected either...

New MO: 2009 SL AWD Platinum/Charcoal Tech, Premium, Nav, Leather, Dual Panel Roof, XPEL Clear Bra, Remote Start, K&N Air Filter, Tinted Front Windows, Rear Bumper Protector, Headrest DVD.

Previous MO: 2005 SL AWD Platinum/Charchoal/NAV/VDC/Mobile Entertainment System/Touring Package, Tinted Front Windows, K&N Air Filter, X-Pel Clear Bra, OEM XM Radio, Remote Start, Front Window control from remote

Previous MO:2004 SL AWD Blue/Latte/NAV/VDC/Touring Package/XM-SAT/Remote Start/X-Pel Clear Bra/Tinted Front Windows/K&N Airfilter
post #11 of 11 Old 03-25-2006, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by milgrad
I live in PA and have had the front windows on my Pathfinder and both Murano's tinted to match the back windows...no problems as of yet...no problems with getting the vehicle inspected either...
Do you have a FOP sticker or tags on your mo?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: