Nissan Murano Forum banner

Rear Axle Noise!!

19K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Eric L. 
#1 ·
Hi All again (especially my learned Njjoe) and others "too numerous to mention here"....I've got problems...(new ones)
2 days ago I heard a weird noise coming from somewhere in the car, front or rear but I'm not sure. the noise sounds kinda like worn out wheel hubs, the bearings inside. I dont believe it the rear bearings cause I had them replace with new ones about 3 months ago. My Mech. is saying that it could be the rear axle. he checked, & yup...there wasnt a drop of oil (lubricant) in there, so problem solved right?....WRONGGGG!., after he serivced the area and re-filled with oil, as he was driving back to my house he called me & said My babyl.....MYYYYY MO has broken down. when asked from what, he said it's the same NOISE coming from the axle (which he had just confidently fixed)....it's worst than it was when he took it, that he's considering towing it back home..

Now, needless to say that THAT'S THE END OF OUR MECHANIC & DUMB CAR OWNER RELATIONSHIP....I'M pissssssed.

Guys, Njjoe, what happened?....what's your cyber-diagnostic?...I NEED HELP MY PEOPLE!!!!!!.

a distressed Homms'03murano.

#3 ·
From your description I think you are talking about the rear differential but I am not 100% sure. If that is the case, then it sounds like not enough oil causing the problem and I agree with Gonzo. But what did he do the first time that he had to drain the differential for? I don't think he needed to do that to replace the hub.

#4 ·
Two issues here, and I cannot make out which is which from your post.

1) Its possible you had a leak, which went unnoticed, and the rear diff went dry, causing permanent damage. In this case, refilling with new gear oil will not fix it.

2) If your mechanic serviced the rear diff, and did not use enough, or the wrong type of, gear oil, this could have also led to the failure.

Since you have a rear diff, its an AWD model, so I would be VERY careful about collateral damage to the transfer case and CVT!

#5 ·
Disclaimor: I have never turned a wrench on the Murano.

But back in the day, I've done everything except rebuild an auto tranny.
I really don't think I've missed anything else on various cars, some built for racing and some not......

Anyway............. I don't know about the Murano BUT.......it is not uncommon for rear wheel bearings to get their lubrication from the differential oil. LOTS of cars do it this way.

So who did the wheel bearings 3 months ago?

Homer

#6 ·
Update!!

Hi Ya'll. I posted an eupdate much earlier but for some reason it didnt go. Anyway, so here's where things stand...I'm F@%^d...why? Apparently the bearings inside the axle assy (1 of them anyway) is shattered. The axle casing was welded perfectly well and the pinion shaft was properly "refilled". My problem is that (this is Nigeria) & to get the bearings is close to impossible as the MO is regarded here as a "BIG Man's" (wealthy man's) car and therefore not very common & therefore parts are scarce....Oh boy, I'm deeply distraught & I'm a loss as to what to do. Any ideas, DIYs, suggestions, trial-by-errors (at this juncture), etc......are seriously encouraged and welcomed, take note my main G here Njjoe...
Bye for now.

#7 ·
Re: Update!!

Homms'03Murano said:
Hi Ya'll. I posted an eupdate much earlier but for some reason it didnt go. Anyway, so here's where things stand...I'm F@%^d...why? Apparently the bearings inside the axle assy (1 of them anyway) is shattered. The axle casing was welded perfectly well and the pinion shaft was properly "refilled". My problem is that (this is Nigeria) & to get the bearings is close to impossible as the MO is regarded here as a "BIG Man's" (wealthy man's) car and therefore not very common & therefore parts are scarce....Oh boy, I'm deeply distraught & I'm a loss as to what to do. Any ideas, DIYs, suggestions, trial-by-errors (at this juncture), etc......are seriously encouraged and welcomed, take note my main G here Njjoe...
Bye for now.
I think you will have to work with a North American or European dealer to get the parts - try Courtesy Nissan (www.courtesyparts.com) - they have a comprehensive parts catalog.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.