Nissan Murano Forum

Nissan Murano Forum (http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/)
-   Problems (http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/66-problems/)
-   -   transmission shifting (http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/66-problems/11130-transmission-shifting.html)

chevez 05-06-2008 09:37 PM

transmission shifting

the shifting on our 04 murano doesnt seem quite right. things i am noticing...
1. there seems to be a delay in going into passing gear when push ing on the throttle, maybe not at all depending on the current speed, therefore causing a slow acceleration. sometimes even from a dead stop and tromping on the gas it doesnt seem to have great acceleration.
2 the odd time the vehichle seems to change down in gear , not really hard but not smoothly. i think its mostly from 2nd to 1st.

any thoughts or suggestions?
thanks
-C

pob312 05-06-2008 10:09 PM

Re: transmission shifting

Quote:

Originally posted by chevez
[B]the shifting on our 04 murano doesnt seem quite right.
Is this a joke?

chevez 05-06-2008 10:58 PM

Re: Re: transmission shifting

Quote:

Originally posted by pob312

Is this a joke?

hmmmm...i take it there is something i am missing....lol

chevez 05-06-2008 11:39 PM

ok....i did some reading on the cvt transmission, i understand now the difference.
the acceleration difference now makes sense, but the slight jerkiness on deacceleration doesnt.

i guess i just need to get used to the difference. i remember the acceleration on a maxima i drove a few years back and how it almost left my head in the back seat, and assumed the murano would have the same characteristics.
-C

Gonzo 05-07-2008 12:40 AM

From a dead stop but the MO in Ds.... hit the gas.... does you head fly back?

Eric L. 05-07-2008 01:35 AM

Quote:

ok....i did some reading on the cvt transmission, i understand now the difference.
the acceleration difference now makes sense, but the slight jerkiness on deacceleration doesnt.

i guess i just need to get used to the difference. i remember the acceleration on a maxima i drove a few years back and how it almost left my head in the back seat, and assumed the murano would have the same characteristics.
-C

Unfortunately the CVT dampens that "head bumping the headrest" acceleration - I have a Maxima too and it has better acceleration than the Murano and feels more powerful in every gear. The Murano doesn't have distinct gears per se due to the CVT's nature, but if you peg the gas it will accelerate quickly once it can hold high RPMs, something a normal automatic cannot do. Nissan went more for smoothness and fuel economy with the CVT than for performance.

The jerk you feel as you are slowing down (I am guessing below 20mph) is the torque converter uncoupling from the lockup mode (I think this happens at ~8-10mph) - I can feel it sometimes on my Murano as well, but I would not call it jerky.

chevez 05-07-2008 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Gonzo
From a dead stop but the MO in Ds.... hit the gas.... does you head fly back?
what do you mean Ds?

Eric L. 05-07-2008 01:13 PM

Quote:

what do you mean Ds?

If you have an 03 SE or any SL/S model, there is a "gear" on the shifter called Ds (for "sport" or "second").

chevez 05-07-2008 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Eric L.

If you have an 03 SE or any SL/S model, there is a "gear" on the shifter called Ds (for "sport" or "second").

i have an 04 se....is it good or not so good to use the shifter on a regular basis?

-C

Eric L. 05-07-2008 06:15 PM

Quote:

i have an 04 se....is it good or not so good to use the shifter on a regular basis?

-C

Ok so you have the manual mode. It should not harm the transmission at all to use manual mode, but theoretically the best performance is to leave it in D and let the computer decide.

zebelkhan 05-07-2008 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Eric L.
theoretically the best performance is to leave it in D and let the computer decide.
Eric you are no fun!:D

If I were you I would use the shifter as if it was a manual drive. You may not get the best gas mileage but you will have the most fun:2:

Eric L. 05-07-2008 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by zebelkhan

Eric you are no fun!:D

If I were you I would use the shifter as if it was a manual drive. You may not get the best gas mileage but you will have the most fun:2:

Oh I am just bitter because I have an SE before they added the manual mode. :D

chevez 05-07-2008 10:59 PM

is the manual mode the same thing as the triptronic shifting mercedes has???
-C

zebelkhan 05-07-2008 11:09 PM

Quote:

is the manual mode the same thing as the triptronic shifting mercedes has???
-C

Yep...