Nissan Murano Forum

Nissan Murano Forum (http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/)
-   Problems (http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/66-problems/)
-   -   2005 Murano power door locks (http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/66-problems/11371-2005-murano-power-door-locks.html)

MJTN 06-27-2008 11:00 PM

2005 Murano power door locks

Recent power lock problems have occurred; driver's door does not lock when using the key fob or the manual auto lock button....and occassionally the front passenger door reacts the same. Any experience or recommendation with fixing this type of problem?

Gonzo 06-27-2008 11:24 PM

Confirm that the lock switch on the door is not in a mid position, somewhere between locked and unlocked.

Try this, after opening the door manually place the interior lock in the unlock positon, close the door and then try to lock. See if that helps any.

MJTN 06-28-2008 10:45 AM

Thanks Gonzo....but this did not work. I had tried replacing the fuse, reprogramming the fobs, and various other lock/unlock combinations without any success....1 correction on original problem; its the rear driver's side passenger door lock that sees this same problem and not the front/rear passenger side locks.....it seems like a mechanical issue; so I might remove the door panel if not too complicated and/or take to dealer.

Special Ed 06-28-2008 12:25 PM

power lock solenoids from every manf. have reliability issues. It's an electric motor that operates a mechanical armature. electromechanicl stuff is about as reliable as a Windows operating system.... lol

craigster 07-16-2008 08:13 AM

I now seem to have the same problem. How was this resolved...or was it?

MJTN 07-16-2008 08:33 AM

Dealer diagnosis, new power door lock assembly required; about $360/door for parts and labor.

craigster 07-17-2008 11:19 AM

Yep - same problem and around the same cost. The darn part cost around $200 alone. Works fine now but with Intelligent Key, this was a more severe problem than with normal key, think. I relied more on the PDL than most.

ekaxel 07-17-2008 11:30 AM

I have this problem on my '03. I suspect a little wear, or things have dried out. I am, going to try wd40ing all the joints and moving parts as soon as I get the ambition to take the drivers door apart.

MJTN 07-18-2008 09:32 AM

This has been the final issue that has really put me out of sorts with Nissan's quality performance for this vehicle. After this issue, I contacted Nissan Customer Affairs to file my complaint and appeal; but was denied a"a hearing" since the car is 6K miles / 4 months outside the warranty window. There have been a chronic string of nagging quality repair/recall items since the vehicle was purchased new 3/05.....otherwise it has been a nice vehicle to own/drive; but, I'm preparing to say goodbye to it in within the next month or so.

craigster 07-18-2008 10:02 AM

Sorry to hear you feel that way. My '05 has been pretty much problem free (just oil changes and a brake job) and has been a great vehicle for our needs. It now has 90,000 km (about 55,000 miles). I replaced a Pontiac minivan with it (I had a series of minivans from Ford and Chrysler as well as GM since 1990). If you want problems, buy a GM, Ford or Chrysler and you'll really find out. ;)

In any event, I was ticked about the door as much as anyone would be - but I have owned 32 vehicles in my life and they ALL have issues of some kind. By the way, I do NOT deal with a Nissan dealer for my service any longer- since the bumper to bumper warranty went off I go to a very good independent and he has been excellent.

MJTN 07-18-2008 09:35 PM

The Murano is generally driven by my wife. She wanted a 4Runner (she is/was very loyal to Toyota) and I talked her into getting the Murano; so I am reminded of this each time there has been a recall or a quality issue. She had a successive string of various Toyota models 8 years prior to the Murano and never experienced the number of trips the Murano has been in and out of the shop. I drive an 03 Infiniti and it has been problem free; so maybe we got one that was built on the "lemon" day.

Gonzo 07-18-2008 09:54 PM

Yea the MO has some issues but I don't think more than other cars and certainly I would not call it a lemon. My 03 has been pretty good.... I can't complain. I don't think the recalls have been more than other cars including Toyota... perhaps we are just more away of them due to this forum.

hwkboy 07-28-2008 11:22 PM

replacing power door lock mechanism

I am looking for someone that has replaced a faulty power/manual door lock mechanism. replacing the part is simple enough. the door open and closed as directed. however when locked and closed it will not reopen.
Neither the inner or outer handle will open, and the manual and power controls work, but the door will not open.
I was intrigued by Gonzo's remark of the lock being in the "mid" position. perhaps this is my problem. if so how do I get it out of this and how pray tell do I get the door open?
Pleaase help!!!!!!

Gonzo 07-29-2008 12:17 AM

That mid position that I was referring to was more for the rear hatch in that the handle does not return to it home position. I presume you've tried to lock and unlock the power locks already.

Other than that I can't think of anything else except bring it to the stealer.

bigdog833 07-29-2008 03:54 PM

I have a 2005 Murano and the passenger side front door lock will not work (and thus the rear hatch) when I try to use either the key fob or the hard wired door switch. Dealer says its a $360 job to replace. It appears this is a common problem as someone else in the dealership was in for the same issue. Is this common to all Nissan vehicles or just the Murano?

jballchat 07-31-2008 06:15 PM

MJTN - recently had similar issue with wife's '05 Murano. Both front door locks failed and dealer wanted $600+ to repair. Car was 38 months old but had 57k miles. I asked for some consideration due to relatively young age of the car and the local dealer ended up doing the repairs at no charge.
I didn't buy the car from him but have done most scheduled service (15k, 30k, 60k) at his shop.

catlyn 08-18-2008 10:30 PM

2004 door locks

My driver's side front & rear door locks don't fully open with either the key fob or the door panel, & I have to down the window & manually open the lock to get in my car. I was told by the dealer that the actuators need to be replaced - parts & labor will be $350 for the front & $458 for the rear.

I already had the front passenger repaired while under warranty, and also had to repair the hatch lock as well.

No other problems except for poor hardware.

TheGymKid 08-19-2008 10:43 AM

My drivers side lock doesn't open by keyfob or power now. I have to manually open and shut it. Urgh !! THanks for all this info as I suppose I know what the problem is and what the cost is to fix it.

ekaxel 08-30-2008 06:44 PM

Follow up: I DID order the new driver's door OEM lock mechanism @$113, but I think I can solve the problem much, much cheaper. I am going to get a set of universal door lock actuators @ $6 each and install them in the doors. This can be done without taking the door all apart to remove the lock mechanism, which (mechanically) is fine. I will work out the details as soon as I get the actutators. It is a two wire hookup to the existing wiring in the door (disconnected from the OEM actuator), plus a mechanical connection to the lock cable...

jballchat 09-03-2008 05:45 AM

I recently had to have both front door lock mechanisms replaced on my 05 Murano at 58k miles. I asked the service writer if I could get a break on the repair cost since the car was 37 mos. old (w/high highway miles). After a week he called and said they would "goodwill" the entire job. Didn't cost me a thing so I was elated. FWIW my dealer is in Round Rock, TX.

TheGymKid 09-03-2008 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by jballchat
I recently had to have both front door lock mechanisms replaced on my 05 Murano at 58k miles. I asked the service writer if I could get a break on the repair cost since the car was 37 mos. old (w/high highway miles). After a week he called and said they would "goodwill" the entire job. Didn't cost me a thing so I was elated. FWIW my dealer is in Round Rock, TX.
WOW... if TX wasn't to far for me to drive I would go there to get mine fixed. Any chance you can scan or take a picture of the receipt and send it to me so i can use it as a bargining chip when i take mine to the dealer to get it fixed?

ekaxel 09-03-2008 01:25 PM

I have the new factory door lock in hand now. Waiting for the aftermarket actuators to try the fix. If it works (and I am pretty sure it will) I will take some pictures of the installation. For those of you who insist on purity, I suspect that I will have a brand new OEM drivers door lock assembly for sale (cheap) soon...

ekaxel 09-05-2008 07:05 PM

End of Part 1

To make a long story short, I replaced the factory door lock with a new one. Worked perfectly.

Long story:
Installed the AM actuator. Worked fine when testing with a hot battery lead, BUT, the BCM wouldn't drive it. Probably requires some relays. Also, where I mounted it on the finisher, it interfered with the door structure. I could have solved that, but didn't have the patience to work the electrical problem today. The back door still has to be fixed, and I will try again then. Rear lock is a lot more expensive than the front one. Mechanical hookup to the inside lock handle was easy..

Taking the door apart to install the new lock was much easier than I thought it would be from reading the instructions. Took less than an hour.

EDIT: Forgot to mention. This is the FIRST failure of any kind in 5 1/2 years/58000 miles of ownership. My perfect record of never having taken the car to the dealer (except for recalls) is intact....

TheGymKid 09-18-2008 09:53 AM

Funny, the other day my passenger door starting working again with the unlock lock remote\inside button. Then after 2 days, it stopped again. urgh.

Lose wire or the mechinism just going? I'm sure it's the more expenisve of the two.

Would Nissan charge me to just bring it in and get an idea of how much it would cost to have it fixed? (FYI: No extended warrenty\45000m)

Corin 09-18-2008 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by TheGymKid
Funny, the other day my passenger door starting working again with the unlock lock remote\inside button. Then after 2 days, it stopped again. urgh.

Lose wire or the mechinism just going? I'm sure it's the more expenisve of the two.

Would Nissan charge me to just bring it in and get an idea of how much it would cost to have it fixed? (FYI: No extended warrenty\45000m)

No extended warranty, why would you go to Nissan at all?

They'll probably tell you what they THINK is the problem for free, but that wouldn't actually be doing a diagnosis. You'd have to pay for that.

Instead, go to an independent shop and have them give you a quote. They MIGHT charge a diagnosis fee, but it would probably be cheaper than the dealer and I'm sure their actual repair will be significantly cheaper.

Again, as NJJoe and I always say, unless you're doing warranty work, there is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON to go to the dealer. (well, unless you really LIKE to get screwed...)

TheGymKid 09-18-2008 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Corin

No extended warranty, why would you go to Nissan at all?

They'll probably tell you what they THINK is the problem for free, but that wouldn't actually be doing a diagnosis. You'd have to pay for that.

Instead, go to an independent shop and have them give you a quote. They MIGHT charge a diagnosis fee, but it would probably be cheaper than the dealer and I'm sure their actual repair will be significantly cheaper.

Again, as NJJoe and I always say, unless you're doing warranty work, there is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON to go to the dealer. (well, unless you really LIKE to get screwed...)

SO RIGHT... I haven't been to Nissan since I bought the Murano, why the hell would I ever go back. Thanks for the slap back into reality.

Tighe 11-12-2008 02:19 PM

This is a defect

This door lock problem is a factory defect -- Nissan has already recalled all the actuators on the nissan frontier. I spoke with the service department at my local dealership and they say it happens on 90% of the Muranos! They are shocked that Nissan has not issued a recall!

I have started a petition to have Nissan recall the door locks, please sign if you agree with me.

http://www.tighelory.com/2008/08/nis...tor-issue.html

Thanks,
Tighe

stockguy38 01-13-2009 10:33 PM

Hi Tighe, Just signed up to support the petition. BTW, How many signatures do you need?

Hi ekaxel: Have you finally got the problem fixed?