Idler Pulley - Page 2 - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#16 Old 03-07-2009, 04:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nut From Hell

With the "Bolt Out" socket by Craftsman, I got the idler pulley nut off with no problem. BTW, Courtesy Nissan installed the last serpentine belt on this car. Considering where this is located, I don't know how one would torque the pulley nut to specs. There isn't room for a torque wrench.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nutfromhell.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	15120  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 03-07-2009, 06:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Wow...

2004 SL AWD - Super Black - Leather Package (Café latte) - Tow Package - Floor Mats - Splash Guards - Cargo Area Protector - Rear Bumper Protector - Front Window Tint - Dawn Color Matched Body Side Molding – Day Time Running Lights - PAC-NIS1 Aux Audio input - Pressure Pro TPMS and Anti Theft Sensor Locks - 7" Xenarc VGA Touchscreen - Compaq EVO e-PC 2.0 GHz Pentium 4 Carputer with 120GB HD, DSATX PSU / Shutdown Controller, Road Runner Front End, iGuidance 3.0 Navigation, DVD player, Internet access, XM satellite radio, Deluo GPS receiver, Linksys WiFi Antenna, TERK XM antenna - Tweeter 22uF CAP mod - Magnetbra - Custom Backup Camera - Aries Polished Stainless Steel Sidestep (nerf) Bars - Euro-Tech Nudge Bar - Homemade Lower Grill Cover - Auxiliary Projection Fog Lamps - Aluminum Fuel Tank Shields - Wade Window Deflectors - Nissan Sunroof Deflector - Scosche UBRH Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit
#18 Old 03-07-2009, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
DallasKRSRider-

_ _ _ _ _ _

It was about time you stopped pussy-footing and got medieval on that nut.

You mentioned the belts were previously changed by Courtesy Nissan. How often do you change them?

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
#19 Old 03-08-2009, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by DallasKRSRider
...Considering where this is located, I don't know how one would torque the pulley nut to specs. There isn't room for a torque wrench.
Sometimes I have to do it the old fashioned way. Torque is measured in ftxlb ( (feet multiplied by pounds). Measure the tool you are using from the center of where your hand grabs it to the center of the nut in inches. Convert it to feet (divide by 12). Now divide the torque spec by that distance. That gives you how much force in pounds you have to use. On a bathroom scale, push down with your hand to "feel" the amount of force you need to get to the above pounds. Now go the MO, put the wrench on and give it the same amount of push!

Example. You need to apply 4 ft-lb of torque with a tool that measures 6 inches. 6 inch is 0.5 foot. 4 divided by 0.5 is 8. So you need to apply 8 pounds...

It won't be 100%, but it will be close...

2004 SL AWD - Super Black - Leather Package (Café latte) - Tow Package - Floor Mats - Splash Guards - Cargo Area Protector - Rear Bumper Protector - Front Window Tint - Dawn Color Matched Body Side Molding – Day Time Running Lights - PAC-NIS1 Aux Audio input - Pressure Pro TPMS and Anti Theft Sensor Locks - 7" Xenarc VGA Touchscreen - Compaq EVO e-PC 2.0 GHz Pentium 4 Carputer with 120GB HD, DSATX PSU / Shutdown Controller, Road Runner Front End, iGuidance 3.0 Navigation, DVD player, Internet access, XM satellite radio, Deluo GPS receiver, Linksys WiFi Antenna, TERK XM antenna - Tweeter 22uF CAP mod - Magnetbra - Custom Backup Camera - Aries Polished Stainless Steel Sidestep (nerf) Bars - Euro-Tech Nudge Bar - Homemade Lower Grill Cover - Auxiliary Projection Fog Lamps - Aluminum Fuel Tank Shields - Wade Window Deflectors - Nissan Sunroof Deflector - Scosche UBRH Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit
#20 Old 03-09-2009, 09:26 AM

We bought the '03 MO new, back when folks said, "That's a funny looking car". It's my wife's car. At 42K it was in the dealership and the belts were replaced. They also replaced the cabin filter, where they charged us $84.78, parts and labor. As I said, it's my wife's car, she picked it up, paid the bill, drove it home. When I looked at the bill, after I got off the ceiling, well, that's the last time we went into Courtesy for service. I do my own now. They do have a great parts department giving 20% off. I used to belong to the TwinTurbo.net club which got 20% off of Z parts. They now extend it to other model online purchases.

The MO now has 90K on the clock.

Ken in Dallas
#21 Old 03-09-2009, 09:34 AM

Some nuts just hold on for dear life...then let go with the right stimulaton...

So is the nut reverse threaded? I'm assuming it's not considering other Nissan's I've worked on. Looks normal to me.

After 142K miles, my MO is history. Now sporting a loaded silver 2012 Ford Edge Limited with 20" wheels.
#22 Old 03-09-2009, 09:43 AM

The "nut from hell" was a right hand thread. The tension adjustment nut on top of the pulley IS a left handed nut.

Ken in Dallas
#23 Old 03-09-2009, 07:35 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to mgthe3
I have a "nut from hell" on my garage wall.

It is from 20+ years ago from an exhaust system on a 73 454 caprice cop car.

Was about a 3 hour endevor.... you never forget'em!

2010 Titan Crewcab XE

had an 07 S Brilliant Silver
had an 04 SL Sheer Silver
#24 Old 03-10-2009, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by mgthe3
I have a "nut from hell" on my garage wall.

It is from 20+ years ago from an exhaust system on a 73 454 caprice cop car.
mg-

Is it mounted on the wall or embedded in the wall after you threw it in disgust??

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
#25 Old 03-10-2009, 02:30 PM

Heeeeeeeelarious...

My bet is that it's imbedded in the wall!

After 142K miles, my MO is history. Now sporting a loaded silver 2012 Ford Edge Limited with 20" wheels.
#26 Old 03-11-2009, 06:12 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to mgthe3
actually it is now gone.. I went out to take a picture of it and poof.

My boys must have "looked" at it.

I had it on a nail over my work bench. It far less resembled a nut than Dallas's. It looked like a star nut with 50 edges. I used one of those uni wrench things to finally get it off. It creeeeeked horribly with every 2 inches of wrench motion I had in the spot it was... that was after liquid wrench soaking for 2 days.

It was a trophy for not giving up.

Now I own a nut cracker that cleaves a nut on one side.
Come get some!

2010 Titan Crewcab XE

had an 07 S Brilliant Silver
had an 04 SL Sheer Silver
#27 Old 03-19-2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:
The "nut from hell" was a right hand thread. The tension adjustment nut on top of the pulley IS a left handed nut.

Ken in Dallas
DallasKRSRider, I am about to change the belts and read your post. By a "right hand thread nut", you mean you need to turn the nut clockwise to unscrew it from the idler pulley? thanks.
#28 Old 06-16-2009, 09:03 PM

Re: Nut From Hell

Quote:
With the "Bolt Out" socket by Craftsman, I got the idler pulley nut off with no problem. BTW, Courtesy Nissan installed the last serpentine belt on this car. Considering where this is located, I don't know how one would torque the pulley nut to specs. There isn't room for a torque wrench.
DallasKRSRider, I am glad you got the damn nut out. I, however, don't much luck with mine. I used Bolt-out (both low profile and standard size) but it can't quite grab the nut because of the tight space. I spent 2 hours and finally gave up. I think I will go to a dealer and let them deal with it. Kind of stupid since I put in so much effort and got nothing.
#29 Old 06-16-2009, 10:47 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Re: Re: Nut From Hell

Quote:
Originally posted by acefr
I used Bolt-out (both low profile and standard size) but it can't quite grab the nut because of the tight space. I spent 2 hours and finally gave up. I think I will go to a dealer and let them deal with it. Kind of stupid since I put in so much effort and got nothing.
Plus, I could be wrong, but isn't this only a couple hundred buck job in the first place (including the price for both belts)?

I know when the idler pulley froze up (at 203K miles) on my Maxima last winter, the bill from the dealer to install both accessory belts AND the new idler pulley assembly was less than $250.
#30 Old 06-17-2009, 04:10 PM

Re: Re: Re: Nut From Hell

Quote:
Originally posted by nafddur

Plus, I could be wrong, but isn't this only a couple hundred buck job in the first place (including the price for both belts)?

I know when the idler pulley froze up (at 203K miles) on my Maxima last winter, the bill from the dealer to install both accessory belts AND the new idler pulley assembly was less than $250.
The OEM belts are very cheap like less than $20 each. The labor (if I didn't round out the nut) would be 30 min. This should be a $130 job. But that is not the point, the belts are right in my face and I can't change them because of 1 damn rounded nut stood in the way. That is what pisses me off. Why the hell did Nissan design the idler pulley right next to the metal wall to prevent enough spacing to use a ratchet on it?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: