Radio has no sound; CD has little but garbled sound - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#1 Old 03-14-2009, 01:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Unhappy Radio has no sound; CD has little but garbled sound

Problem with my '06 Murano SL AWD with Nav; one time I was driving I heard a loud "pop" and noticed a burning smell. After that radio is no longer producing any sound. When I switch to CD, I hear some sound but it's totally garbled. When I enable the navigation, the guide voice produces some sound but it can barely be heard. I should say the radio has been replaced before but that was due to a CD changer problem.

I took my Mo to a dealer for this new problem and I was told I'm looking at around $230 to take the unit out and "diagnose". Yikes I thought. I'm hoping to find someone who can advise as to what could the problem be? I don't know whether to leave it to the dealer or take it to some car audio shop to look at. I'm' beyond warranty (41k) and totally disappointed to have this problem at a fairly new car. Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-14-2009, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
dawn555-

A loud pop followed by a burning smell is not a good sign. Most likely the radio is a goner.

Unless you recently hit the lottery I would avoid the dealer at all costs. I believe the MSRP on the OEM radio is close to $1,000.

There is an outfit in Massachusetts that will take your unit and repair it for a flat fee - $147 to $187 depending on model. Here is a link to their site: Audio & Video Service Stop

Several members have shipped their radios to this place and I believe all but one have been satisfied with their work.

There may be an outfit like this in your area. Check the yellow pages and the internet.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
#3 Old 03-20-2009, 08:19 PM

thanks njjoe.

out of fear or mistrust of the non-familiar with the Murano configuration, I ended up driving into a dealership to get them to check what's going on.

They opened up the radio and found a couple of pennies lodged into the switch assembly, and they have become sticky and looked like they have begun to melt into the board. i should say though that i have a soon-to-be 3-year old son who i'm sure is the culprit.

so initially this was thought to be the problem. had that part replaced, but - problem not solved.

so now they're on to the amplifier. after the A/V switch assembly was replaced, their inspection shows power is now coming into the amplifier, but "has internal failure". they suggest going this route first before looking at getting the radio/cd replaced.

would you, or anyone, think a couple of pennies could cause this much damage, say even to the amplifier, when in fact it didn't really make a difference even when the switch assembly was replaced? i don't know if it was coincidental that there happened to be a couple coins there, but that the amplifier was about to go out anyways. I called Nissan Corp. Consumer Affairs before my first trip to the dealership and they said get the diagnostics first before calling them back (lady gave me her direct# to contact) and see what they can do about warranty - even though i'm beyond warranty. I don't know if that's just BS or they try to work something out if you persist.

anyway, long story short, i looked at these repair shops that many here ship to and i'm interested in going this repair route rather than replace. i just wish i know how to take those parts down myself!

i'd appreciate any input you or other experts here may have. i'm just really at a loss as to how to approach this problem now. all i know, i really don't want to spend much anymore!

thanks in advance, hope you have a great weekend!

~~~
'06 SL AWD Gray

i
#4 Old 03-30-2011, 09:59 AM

Hello

Did you manage to get his sorted out I got the same problem

Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawn555 View Post
thanks njjoe.

out of fear or mistrust of the non-familiar with the Murano configuration, I ended up driving into a dealership to get them to check what's going on.

They opened up the radio and found a couple of pennies lodged into the switch assembly, and they have become sticky and looked like they have begun to melt into the board. i should say though that i have a soon-to-be 3-year old son who i'm sure is the culprit.

so initially this was thought to be the problem. had that part replaced, but - problem not solved.

so now they're on to the amplifier. after the A/V switch assembly was replaced, their inspection shows power is now coming into the amplifier, but "has internal failure". they suggest going this route first before looking at getting the radio/cd replaced.

would you, or anyone, think a couple of pennies could cause this much damage, say even to the amplifier, when in fact it didn't really make a difference even when the switch assembly was replaced? i don't know if it was coincidental that there happened to be a couple coins there, but that the amplifier was about to go out anyways. I called Nissan Corp. Consumer Affairs before my first trip to the dealership and they said get the diagnostics first before calling them back (lady gave me her direct# to contact) and see what they can do about warranty - even though i'm beyond warranty. I don't know if that's just BS or they try to work something out if you persist.

anyway, long story short, i looked at these repair shops that many here ship to and i'm interested in going this repair route rather than replace. i just wish i know how to take those parts down myself!

i'd appreciate any input you or other experts here may have. i'm just really at a loss as to how to approach this problem now. all i know, i really don't want to spend much anymore!

~~~
'06 SL AWD Gray

i
#5 Old 04-05-2011, 09:24 PM

YES a couple of pennies can burn up an entire radio. these radios have several microprocessors in them. one short even for a millisecond and poof you can kill a radio, nav, AC, the whole thing dead!!!

Before sending it to one of those shops. I might be able to help if you are in the US. i have done a great deal of work on these radios and have some parts on hand.

another option is to hunt eBay. i have purchased several of these radios now pretty cheap but you have to watch eBay for a while before you find a deal.

Zc

2006 Murano S AWD
#6 Old 04-06-2011, 03:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
I noticed I have the left channel cutout issue when playing CD. When I have nothing better to do I will try to tackle it but if I can't, it will be coming your way Zero Cool...

By the way, good to see you posting again.

2004 SL AWD - Super Black - Leather Package (Café latte) - Tow Package - Floor Mats - Splash Guards - Cargo Area Protector - Rear Bumper Protector - Front Window Tint - Dawn Color Matched Body Side Molding – Day Time Running Lights - PAC-NIS1 Aux Audio input - Pressure Pro TPMS and Anti Theft Sensor Locks - 7" Xenarc VGA Touchscreen - Compaq EVO e-PC 2.0 GHz Pentium 4 Carputer with 120GB HD, DSATX PSU / Shutdown Controller, Road Runner Front End, iGuidance 3.0 Navigation, DVD player, Internet access, XM satellite radio, Deluo GPS receiver, Linksys WiFi Antenna, TERK XM antenna - Tweeter 22uF CAP mod - Magnetbra - Custom Backup Camera - Aries Polished Stainless Steel Sidestep (nerf) Bars - Euro-Tech Nudge Bar - Homemade Lower Grill Cover - Auxiliary Projection Fog Lamps - Aluminum Fuel Tank Shields - Wade Window Deflectors - Nissan Sunroof Deflector - Scosche UBRH Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit
#7 Old 02-10-2013, 10:28 PM

Unhappy Same problem here

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawn555 View Post
thanks njjoe.

~~~
'06 SL AWD Gray

i

I was wondering if you got this problem resolved as i am having the same problem with my 2003 murano radio.??
#8 Old 02-10-2013, 10:32 PM

Did you get this problem fixed and how? I am having the same exact problem with my 2003 murano.
#9 Old 02-14-2013, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
sounds like a wiring issue I had in my 05 Audi A4 money pit edition... inspect the wiring harness to and in the door panel. There may be cracked and exposed wires in the harness, which is causing shorts to occur. As I said this occurred in my Audi with very similar symptoms. Once the wires were repaired, everything was fine.

The reason this was a problem was because the really thin wires and casings wear out over years of being flexed by the opening and closing of the doors, until eventually they crack. This is worse in cold weather as the casing gets brittle.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: