LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #46 of 65 Old 11-17-2010, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace587 View Post
I had the service engine light code ran on that sending unit though and it told me that the "A" unit was malfunctioning. Which side of the tank is this sensor on? Also, I've never had to replace one of these sending units so I have no clue as to what's involved. Is it pretty straightforward? Is there anything in particular I should know before ripping the backseat out?
I am assuming the "A" unit is the main unit that includes the pump assembly, but I may be wrong. What was the actual code you found?

binding in drivetrain on tight turns-fuel-pump-location.jpg

I have attached excerpts from the 2005 service manual. From what I recall you need a special wrench to remove the locking ring on the fuel pump assembly. Another member recently fabricated his own. Maybe he is willing to loan it out.

binding in drivetrain on tight turns-fuel-pump-removal-1.jpgbinding in drivetrain on tight turns-fuel-pump-removal-2.jpgbinding in drivetrain on tight turns-fuel-pump-removal-3.jpg

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 65 Old 11-17-2010, 11:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
njjoe, you're on point with this! It is much appreciated.

I just messaged that member about his wrench/replacement process, hopefully he'll hook me up with the specs or let me borrow that wrench. It appears to be pretty straightforward from the pics you sent. Where did you get this service manual?
post #48 of 65 Old 11-22-2010, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

I've always used a screw driver and a hammer to unset the locking rings. YMMV.

CVT warranty no help:
Back to the AWD locking- having the AWD locked when it shouldn't I think will blow out the transfer case and not the CVT- therefore the CVT warranty extension is not of any help. Even if the transfer case takes out the CVT, then it wasn't the CVT that failed- anymore than if your cars gets crushed by a semi and damages the CVT it was a manufacturing defect.

Leaving the AWD clutch electrical disconnected
Since the Murano is a FWD car unless the computer sends a signal to the AWD clutch, my take is that its easier on the drivetrain to have it disconnected.

I'm going to hook it back uo for driving to Tahoe in the huge storm we have here. If the transfer case blows out I'll report back.

302 V8, 351 V8, Renesis
post #49 of 65 Old 11-22-2010, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Where did you get this service manual?
For $20 you can purchase a 24-hour subscription from Nissan Publications and download the 40 or 50 pdf files that comprise the service manual. It is well worth the $20.

Here's the link: Nissan Publications

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM iPod interface
-Muth signal mirrors
post #50 of 65 Old 12-05-2010, 09:15 PM

Alright I got the fuel sending unit problem taken care of, the details and pictures can be found here:
http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/8...ding-unit.html

Back to the main discussion of this thread!

I hooked my AWD back up this weekend for the snow storm we had and am still having the binding issues. However, the Mo seemed to do pretty well in the small amount of snow we received.

Ophitoxaemia, I'm assuming you didn't rip the transfer case out during your trip?

If the Mo supposedly cuts the AWD signal at anything over 6mph, is it right in assuming that even though I'm having these binding issues the AWD is disconnecting when I exceed 6mph? I only notice the binding when I'm making a turn from a complete stop (like a stoplight or stop sign).
post #51 of 65 Old 12-05-2010, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
If the Mo supposedly cuts the AWD signal at anything over 6mph, is it right in assuming that even though I'm having these binding issues the AWD is disconnecting when I exceed 6mph? I only notice the binding when I'm making a turn from a complete stop (like a stoplight or stop sign).
I believe that would depend on what is triggering the AWD signal. If it is the manual AWD LOCK switch then it is plausible it would cut out at 6 mph. However, if the problem is a malfunctioning AWD controller then the signal may remain constant regardless of the vehicle speed.

Out of curiosity, is your AWD LOCK light on when the ignition is on? If not, does engaging the AWD LOCK switch turn the light on and off?

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM iPod interface
-Muth signal mirrors
post #52 of 65 Old 12-05-2010, 10:00 PM

Mine is doing the same thing and there are no lights one when running and i can turn the switch on and the light comes on like it should. So something is telling the clutch to lock in and the car dose not see a problem because no lights.
post #53 of 65 Old 12-05-2010, 10:35 PM

We have exactly the same problem Phillip. As stated earlier in the thread you should probably crawl under the car and disconnect the AWD clutch line so that you don't do any damage to the rear differential. I have mine disconnected for now and have no binding problems at all when disconnected. However, this does mean that you won't have AWD until we get the problem figured out.
post #54 of 65 Old 12-05-2010, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

I left the connector plugged in for the Tahoe trip, plenty of snow and ice. Nothing blew up. Still binds on u- turns.

I tried a new AWD controller last year with no change.

If I put on the lock switch, it's definitely more locked, tires squealing.

On the 2003 models I think the lock stays engaged until 12 mph, is that right ?

I was thinking of attaching another switch, one that toggles between 2wd and AWD.

302 V8, 351 V8, Renesis
post #55 of 65 Old 12-06-2010, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophitoxaemia View Post
I was thinking of attaching another switch, one that toggles between 2wd and AWD.
Hmmm... very interesting. You're suggesting a switch that basically just toggles the AWD fuse on and off? Or a switch that will switch the Mo straight from FWD to AWD Lock?

I like the idea of having a switch as opposed to crawling underneath the car every time I want AWD.
post #56 of 65 Old 12-06-2010, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njjoe View Post
Out of curiosity, is your AWD LOCK light on when the ignition is on? If not, does engaging the AWD LOCK switch turn the light on and off?

-njjoe
When the fuse is connected there are no lights showing on the gauge cluster. When I turn the AWD Lock switch on the light does come on, and goes off when turned off.

The AWD light is on now because the fuse is disconnected, but that of course is because the computer senses a problem.
post #57 of 65 Old 12-06-2010, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Hmmm... very interesting. You're suggesting a switch that basically just toggles the AWD fuse on and off? Or a switch that will switch the Mo straight from FWD to AWD Lock?.
The former: a switch that acts to disconnect the signal to the rear clutch- same thing as unplugging or plugging in that connector. The existing lock switch remains and functions normally if the AWD switch is one. I suppose the AWD lock switch could be wired to also toggle based on the new 2WD switch.

While attempting to fix the original problem last year, I learned the AWD controller sends some power to the rear wheels in many circumstances- not just when front slip is detected as stated in other sources.

This results in the car feeling more responsive even under normal acceleration.

The reasoning to have a 2WD switch is two fold:

1. Reduces wear and stress on the AWD system, especially the weak point of the transfer case by transmitting no power through during the 99% of time you only need FWD.

2. Increase gas mileage by elimination of power loss in the rear drive train on every acceleration.

I'm only considering this as safe because the Murano is really a 2WD with a 4WD helper system. You'd want to do a lot more research changing, say, a Subaru.

302 V8, 351 V8, Renesis
post #58 of 65 Old 12-06-2010, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophitoxaemia View Post
...a switch that acts to disconnect the signal to the rear clutch- same thing as unplugging or plugging in that connector. The existing lock switch remains and functions normally if the AWD switch is one....
I'm only considering this as safe because the Murano is really a 2WD with a 4WD helper system...
I think this is a great idea. I don't have any problems with my transfer case but I think I will do this MOD just to be proactive.

2004 SL AWD - Super Black - Leather Package (Café latte) - Tow Package - Floor Mats - Splash Guards - Cargo Area Protector - Rear Bumper Protector - Front Window Tint - Dawn Color Matched Body Side Molding – Day Time Running Lights - PAC-NIS1 Aux Audio input - Pressure Pro TPMS and Anti Theft Sensor Locks - 7" Xenarc VGA Touchscreen - Compaq EVO e-PC 2.0 GHz Pentium 4 Carputer with 120GB HD, DSATX PSU / Shutdown Controller, Road Runner Front End, iGuidance 3.0 Navigation, DVD player, Internet access, XM satellite radio, Deluo GPS receiver, Linksys WiFi Antenna, TERK XM antenna - Tweeter 22uF CAP mod - Magnetbra - Custom Backup Camera - Aries Polished Stainless Steel Sidestep (nerf) Bars - Euro-Tech Nudge Bar - Homemade Lower Grill Cover - Auxiliary Projection Fog Lamps - Aluminum Fuel Tank Shields - Wade Window Deflectors - Nissan Sunroof Deflector - Scosche UBRH Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit
post #59 of 65 Old 12-06-2010, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Is there a single wire in the that rear connector that disables the electrical to the AWD clutch? I don't have a wiring diagram for that connector.

I was planning to run two wires spliced into the feed from the connector up into the cockpit and put the switch next to the AWD lock switch. Maybe there is easier access somewhere else?

Maybe someone else has a more elegant solution?

302 V8, 351 V8, Renesis
post #60 of 65 Old 12-06-2010, 07:45 PM

Yeah, great idea. If you go ahead with this MOD snaps some pictures of how you did it. I'm interested in doing this as well

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: