Drivers Side Door Handle Snapped Off - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#1 Old 07-29-2009, 12:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Unhappy Drivers Side Door Handle Snapped Off

Our 2004 Mo came down with it's first real issue since we purchased it 5 years ago. The driver side door handle broke off in my hand clean.

The door was having issues this evening opening up. I thought I might have been hitting the door lock inadvertently as I noticed some stickiness when it was opening and it locked itself twice.

Anyway, got home and opened and closed the door with normal pressure 3 times to test and it broke right off. Noticed that the area on the handle internally was plastic which was surprising-it looked to me as if it was poor engineering on Nissan's behalf. Did a quick rig to open the door with some zip-ties but it looks and is pretty bad.

A quick search on the internet revealed others have had this issue with their 1st Gens. and was wondering if anyone else has had the issue or knows about it on the forum.

At this point I will likely order the handle and take apart the door to install but I just can't get over how poorly constructed this part is. Any recommendations on where I can purchase a replacement at a fair price?

Thanks,

Trev
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-29-2009, 07:25 AM

I can't say I'm surprised. The door handle has always felt cheap to me.

NJJoe often recommends an online merchant that is trusted and cheaper than most. Of course, this is the point I should reveal this merchant, but for the life of me I can't remember it! A little help Joe???

Patrick

2006 SL AWD - Platinum
#3 Old 07-29-2009, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks for the lead-in, Phatty McPatty.

The site I most often refer to for parts is WorldPartsExpress.com. They have the exterior handle listed for $68.61. Here's the link to the specific page on the site: Click here

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
#4 Old 07-29-2009, 11:00 AM

Thanks guys, I will take a look today. I also scoped out Nissan CourtesyParts.com and found the handle and hinge assembly for about $80.00. Just need to make sure I get the correct handle.

I am guessing Driver side "Grip-Outside Handle" as Nissan calls it would be the left one.

Now I just need some tech on how to take apart the Murano door to install the thing.
#5 Old 07-30-2009, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by trevmiesterj
Now I just need some tech on how to take apart the Murano door to install the thing.
You can purchase an on-line version of the service manual directly from Nissan for just $20. That's a bargain.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM iPod interface
-Muth signal mirrors
#6 Old 07-31-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
You can purchase an on-line version of the service manual directly from Nissan for just $20. That's a bargain.
NJJoe-

What is the best way to get a service manual, a Nissan Dealership?

I will be headed to my dealership soon because my '08 Xterra is displaying the ever present Nissan "Service Engine Soon" light on the dash - perhaps I can pick one up there.

If you have an online source I would jump at that for $20.00.

Thanks,

Trev
#7 Old 07-31-2009, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by trevmiesterj

NJJoe-

What is the best way to get a service manual, a Nissan Dealership?
Hah! I'm not sure if anyone at my dealership even knows what the service manual looks like. No, I take that back. I am sure they have seen the section that lists the error codes.

You can purchase a one-day online subscription for $19.99 and download the approximately 43 pdf files that makes up the model-specific service manual. Here is the Nissan Publications site: Click Here

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM iPod interface
-Muth signal mirrors
#8 Old 08-03-2009, 09:47 PM

Thumbs down Happened here too!

Yep, I've got an '04 MO as well and not only did the driver's door snap off in my hand, but it waited to do that until I was caught in a torrential downpour about two months ago. I stood there dumbfounded, with a door handle in my hand in the rain for about 15 seconds until I realized that I needed to jump in any of the other three doors and get out of the rain!

Now I'm about 101K miles and still lovin' my MO!

SamoyedMom
#9 Old 08-03-2009, 11:38 PM

Re: Happened here too!

Quote:
Originally posted by samoyedmom
...... I stood there dumbfounded, with a door handle in my hand in the rain for about 15 seconds until I realized that I needed to jump in any of the other three doors and get out of the rain!

Now I'm about 101K miles and still lovin' my MO!

SamoyedMom
LMAO!!!

2003 SL AWD Black
#10 Old 07-07-2010, 04:20 PM

Found a cheap and very effective fix for the handle. Usually breaks off on the pull-side (i.e. the side of the handle towards the back of the car) and right where the handle makes a 90 degree turn to the pull mechanism.

Needed: 1/4-20 2.5" bolt, 1/4-20 tap, 13/64 drill bit, JB Kwik Weld, Tube of Loctite plastic epoxy.

Drill 13/64 hole in center of smaller broken piece until the bit touches the metal clip at the distal end. Tap threads in the plastic. Cut head off bolt, put in vice with 3/4" in vice and bend to about 75 degrees. Thread broken piece on to bolt and test fit that angle will allow threaded rod to slide in to handle. Disassemble. JB weld in the threads and hollow spaces to the side. Allow to cure and set aside.

Mix tube of 7 minute plastic epoxy and pour in to handle- don't be stingy! Insert broken piece with threaded rod, mate surfaces and secure (or hold for about 7-10 minutes) and your handle is actually better than new. Threaded rod has enough to grasp because of the threading, over-abundance of epoxy will hold the rod in the handle.

Wish I had taken pics of the steps to post. Local dealership wanted $380 for parts and labor. $11 and some tax: it's fixed and you can't tell it! No need to take the door apart if the broken piece hasn't fallen inside the door. Carefully remove with needle-nose pliers. Only one screw has to be removed!
#11 Old 07-07-2010, 05:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Great post!

2004 SL AWD - Super Black - Leather Package (Café latte) - Tow Package - Floor Mats - Splash Guards - Cargo Area Protector - Rear Bumper Protector - Front Window Tint - Dawn Color Matched Body Side Molding – Day Time Running Lights - PAC-NIS1 Aux Audio input - Pressure Pro TPMS and Anti Theft Sensor Locks - 7" Xenarc VGA Touchscreen - Compaq EVO e-PC 2.0 GHz Pentium 4 Carputer with 120GB HD, DSATX PSU / Shutdown Controller, Road Runner Front End, iGuidance 3.0 Navigation, DVD player, Internet access, XM satellite radio, Deluo GPS receiver, Linksys WiFi Antenna, TERK XM antenna - Tweeter 22uF CAP mod - Magnetbra - Custom Backup Camera - Aries Polished Stainless Steel Sidestep (nerf) Bars - Euro-Tech Nudge Bar - Homemade Lower Grill Cover - Auxiliary Projection Fog Lamps - Aluminum Fuel Tank Shields - Wade Window Deflectors - Nissan Sunroof Deflector - Scosche UBRH Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit
#12 Old 12-23-2010, 02:29 PM

Last night the passenger side door handle broke off in my wife's hand. The Mo has really been killing us in the last year or so-both front door handles and a leaky t-case all needing repairs.

sheesh, just in time for the holidays too.
#13 Old 01-20-2011, 11:16 AM

Since I have had both front doors experience this issue, I wanted to direct anyone looking to install a replacement door handle. It does appear that the new handle has been reengineered and is stronger at the original breaking point. I have the part # for this item as 80640-CA012.

Here is the link to Mike's post on how to do the install once a replacement has been ordered. It's very easy.

Broken Door Handle
#14 Old 04-02-2012, 09:19 PM

You would think that since so many handles have done this, Nissan would not be charging so much!!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: