power steering fluid leak, hose replacement and seal - Page 2 - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
#16 Old 03-25-2010, 12:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by Pilgrim
...Need to refill your power steering? You can use any fluid labeled Dexron III...
Why didn't you just say so.....

I agree. For Murano either Nissan PSF or Dexron III ATF will work.

2004 SL AWD - Super Black - Leather Package (Café latte) - Tow Package - Floor Mats - Splash Guards - Cargo Area Protector - Rear Bumper Protector - Front Window Tint - Dawn Color Matched Body Side Molding – Day Time Running Lights - PAC-NIS1 Aux Audio input - Pressure Pro TPMS and Anti Theft Sensor Locks - 7" Xenarc VGA Touchscreen - Compaq EVO e-PC 2.0 GHz Pentium 4 Carputer with 120GB HD, DSATX PSU / Shutdown Controller, Road Runner Front End, iGuidance 3.0 Navigation, DVD player, Internet access, XM satellite radio, Deluo GPS receiver, Linksys WiFi Antenna, TERK XM antenna - Tweeter 22uF CAP mod - Magnetbra - Custom Backup Camera - Aries Polished Stainless Steel Sidestep (nerf) Bars - Euro-Tech Nudge Bar - Homemade Lower Grill Cover - Auxiliary Projection Fog Lamps - Aluminum Fuel Tank Shields - Wade Window Deflectors - Nissan Sunroof Deflector - Scosche UBRH Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 03-25-2010, 09:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Pilgrim is right. Any Dexron III ATF or PSF will work for power steering. There is nothing special from one brand to another.

SLVER
-----------------
2004 SL AWD
#18 Old 03-25-2010, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
If we can hear from the thread starter what fluid he used then we can see what might have happened.

This is only the second instance/report I have read about MO owners having their power steering hose/line replaced along with completely new fluid. The first one was from Mr. Eric L. Power steering leak
In his case the dealer used the nissan psf.

While in this thread he used atf-- but which kind is the question, was it dexron III? And how long was he running the car with dangerously low fluid level-maybe causing further damage?

I guess time will tell, when we get more reports from MO owners with similar problems if the fluids indeed interchangeable without issues. Everyone benefits.
#19 Old 03-25-2010, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Yes...I wonder what happened to bell33319, the OP?

No further word from him.....it sounded like he wasn't really sure what Auto Zone gave him to add the first time around. he hasn't given us a progress report, either.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
#20 Old 04-01-2010, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had my high pressure hose replaced and it is now making the rubber on rubber noise inside my car.

I cannot hear anything outside the car just in the cabin.

My mechanic thought it was another power steering hose rubbing against the body on turning. So I bought some hose insulation and wrapped it around the hose and still the noise remains. It only occurs on big turns where there is a 90 degree turn or so.

I am not sure what power steering fluid he used so I will need to ask him about that. I some how doubt the whole rack and pinion would be damaged like the original thread post says.

I notice no difference in how hard I have to turn just a weird rubbing noise inside the car.
#21 Old 04-01-2010, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by newbski
I had my high pressure hose replaced and it is now making the rubber on rubber noise inside my car.

I cannot hear anything outside the car just in the cabin.

My mechanic thought it was another power steering hose rubbing against the body on turning. So I bought some hose insulation and wrapped it around the hose and still the noise remains. It only occurs on big turns where there is a 90 degree turn or so.

I am not sure what power steering fluid he used so I will need to ask him about that. I some how doubt the whole rack and pinion would be damaged like the original thread post says.

I notice no difference in how hard I have to turn just a weird rubbing noise inside the car.

Get a second opinion just to make sure. Could be anything...might just be your bearing starting to quit on you. Do you feel the car drift from side to side when you're driving?

SLVER
-----------------
2004 SL AWD
#22 Old 04-01-2010, 01:30 PM

No drifting or moving from one side to the next seems fine. Straight as an arrow with my hands off the wheel.

Ever since I've had the Murano the steering wheel seems to be more oriented to the right. When I make a hard left it seems to be in the center again. It is really weird, I've had dealers and mechanics look at it and can't explain a thing.
#23 Old 04-03-2010, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by newbski
No drifting or moving from one side to the next seems fine. Straight as an arrow with my hands off the wheel.

Ever since I've had the Murano the steering wheel seems to be more oriented to the right. When I make a hard left it seems to be in the center again. It is really weird, I've had dealers and mechanics look at it and can't explain a thing.

Have you found out what fluid was put in there.

It still sounds like some kind of alignment issue though.
#24 Old 06-01-2010, 02:10 PM

Sorry it took me so long I have been traveling and my body shop guy has been out since his whole shop got beat to death by hail. We are in OKC, OK so it has been pretty bad.

I think the NTB03-065a article may be my problem. I was doing some searching and found this article on our site . Most likely my "rack" is totally hosed if this is my cause and will cost me mucho $$$. Oh well I'm going to have my mechanic check it out first on the torque specs of the nut and bolts. If if they are out I guess I will have to talk to Nissan and pray for just the bushing being bad. I will let you all know once I have more info and more time. Been a crazy year.
#25 Old 06-04-2010, 02:28 PM

Well it wasn't that article, it was the upper struts mounts and steering gear, $2k later.
#26 Old 06-04-2010, 06:31 PM

newbski,

Can you do me a favor and ask your mechanic what kind of power steering fluid he used after all the repairs.

Thanks.

nitely
#27 Old 10-10-2011, 12:00 PM

Is this problem really so common???

I know this post's last entry was over a year ago but this is the first time i've been on this site. I have a 2006 Murano and last year it started leaking power steering fluid and found out it was the high pressure hose that needed to be replaced at a cost of well over my budget. I now see that the same or very similar power steering problems appear to be a very common issue with this vehicle. Has there ever been any kind of hint at Nissan being aware of this or chance of a possible recall. I mean besides this problem, my Murano has other not-too-major repairs needed that still cost me an arm and a leg. Almost every part, whether its mechanical or not, is outrageously high priced and even the small minor things that dont cost too much are required to be installed by the dealership or a mechanic. The worst example of all this is when the driver side door handle broke off and realizing what a cheap peice of plastic it actually was, i was dumbfounded when they told me what it was going to cost for just the replacement handle w/o labor... $180! Thank my lucky stars that it was covered by the extended warranty or i would still be driving around without it. Unfortunately to my dismay, it seems the warranty didnt come through for me on the PS problem so go figure....

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: