Replaced the Alternator...still having problems! - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#1 Old 07-28-2010, 10:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Replaced the Alternator...still having problems!

I have a 2004 Murano, which I bought used. My alternator went out a few days ago, and took the wire harness plug with it (the two pieces literally melted together).

I was able to get a new plug (which fits but did not click in) and put on a new alternator, yet the Brake & Battery lights are still on (which I know is an indicator of an imminent alternator problem). I have hooked the battery up to a voltage reader and when I press the gas pedal, the meter goes up, indicating that the battery IS indeed charging from the new alternator.

In addition, yesterday when I was driving home, the car all of the sudden went in to idle only mode where no matter how far I pressed the gas pedal, the engine would not go above 900 rpms, yet also stayed around 600 rpms without the pedal pressed.

I am thinking this may be a computer/electrical/fuse issue but: Can anyone help me or suggest a starting point?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-28-2010, 10:09 PM
Super Senior Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Bad /dead battery??

'07 SE black/black, Everything but OEM NAV
Magellan Roadmate 1700 7" in dash with OEM backup camera/ factory displays
Valentine One
GROM IPOD/USB/AUX audio interface with Bluetooth

Former owner:
'03 SL
#3 Old 07-28-2010, 10:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
With the sophistication of today's cars, I reluctantly suggest you take it to a dealer for a charging system test. Better than taking a chance on frying something.

Although - if the battery is really old, that could be a part of the problem.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
#4 Old 07-29-2010, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
BB-

Welcome to the forum.

I have two questions for you - Did you happen to save the old alternator? Are you aware of the alternator recall? In 2005 Nissan announced a recall that involved the MO's alternator. If your MO still had the original alternator Nissan may reimburse you for the repairs. Contact Nissan Consumer Affairs at 800-647-7261, give them your VIN and they will tell you if your MO had the recalled alternator. If so, they may pick up the tab for the repair.

Good luck.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
#5 Old 07-29-2010, 12:49 PM
Super Senior Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
"I reluctantly suggest you take it to a dealer for a charging system test"

Any good battery/auto electric shop (even Sears!) can do this test. You DO NOT have to go to the dealer!

'07 SE black/black, Everything but OEM NAV
Magellan Roadmate 1700 7" in dash with OEM backup camera/ factory displays
Valentine One
GROM IPOD/USB/AUX audio interface with Bluetooth

Former owner:
'03 SL
#6 Old 07-29-2010, 08:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekaxel View Post
"I reluctantly suggest you take it to a dealer for a charging system test"

Any good battery/auto electric shop (even Sears!) can do this test. You DO NOT have to go to the dealer!
You're a man after my own heart. I agree, avoid the dealer when possible.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
#7 Old 07-30-2010, 11:06 AM

Thanks for the replies! I checked with the dealership & the original alternator was replace per the recall. In addition, I put in a new battery and tested both the new battery & new alternator before installing.
#8 Old 07-30-2010, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBobcat View Post
Thanks for the replies! I checked with the dealership & the original alternator was replace per the recall. In addition, I put in a new battery and tested both the new battery & new alternator before installing.

Its possible to get a bad batch of alternators, from say kragen which I experienced in the '90s, for my civic. I changed 3 alternators in a 2 year span where all failed after a several months of used---blown/melted my turn signal switch was the last straw--they finally changed distributor/brand of alternator which solved the problem. However, I think unless you have noticed any electrical surges or flactuations, maybe you should look somewhere else for the problem like the throttle position sensor or a cvt sensor.
#9 Old 07-31-2010, 11:08 AM

Thanks for the help. I did replace the CVT fluid (even though dealers tell you to "never" replace it) & when I ran the code reader, the only two that pop up both have to do with my air intake (P1168 & P1051). After being stuck, I did take it to the dealer & they replaced the wire harness connector & another wire, both of which were failing and caused the new alternator to burn out as well...funny thing is that when I called dealership to get wire harness connector, they would not sell me one b/c "we do not carry individual pieces." Yet when I took it to them for the service, this piece 'magically' appears...at least it runs!
#10 Old 04-27-2011, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitely View Post
Its possible to get a bad batch of alternators, from say kragen which I experienced in the '90s, for my civic. I changed 3 alternators in a 2 year span where all failed after a several months of used---blown/melted my turn signal switch was the last straw--they finally changed distributor/brand of alternator which solved the problem. However, I think unless you have noticed any electrical surges or flactuations, maybe you should look somewhere else for the problem like the throttle position sensor or a cvt sensor.
I think you and my friend have the same scenario. We have ordered alternators from eBay a few months ago, but happens to be a bad set after four weeks. Thanks for this advice about the electrical surges thing mate.
#11 Old 01-22-2013, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Reviving an old thread... OP have you had any issues after replacing the wire harness?

I had my alternator replaced a year ago (recall was already serviced) and since the summer the battery and brake lights have been flickering occasionally, sometimes often. Recently, I had two incidents when the lights came on solid and I lost accelerator control for a few seconds. I suspect it's a wiring issue or other intermittent electrical problem but another bad alternator wouldn't surprise me either. Just wondering if your problem ever came back.

I'm hoping the MO runs ok until the winter is over so I can take a better look in there.

'04 SL Black w/ '07 Engine (RIP)
#12 Old 01-23-2013, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Garage
The OP has 3 posts and hasn't been on since 07-31-2010 11:08 AM.... I don't think he's going to update this post.

Start with basic. Load test your battery, load test your alternator.
#13 Old 01-23-2013, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
What alternator did you put there? OEM or aftermarket? Like JayS said test the alternator and battery. Could be a loose connections too.
#14 Old 01-30-2013, 01:19 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hmm yea, didn't notice the OP's stats. The battery was replaced relatively recently, at least after the issue began. I didn't know the alternator could be load tested but I will give it a shot, thanks!
A local shop did the work on the alternator but I believe it's a rebuilt aftermarket.

'04 SL Black w/ '07 Engine (RIP)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: